• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 Colorado Adventure - TShelfer & Kickstand-Prophet Ride West

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
KP’s & TShelfer’s Rocky Mountain Ride -2015

For over a year, Kickstand-Prophet (Drew) and I have wanted to do a Rocky Mountain ride together. That finally happened last week. We’re a good match. Drew’s a better rider than I am. he helped me learn some important techniques – like how to walk a loaded bike without dropping it. I’m a more experienced camper than he is. I taught him some important things – like not to bring a wall-plug phone charger to a national forest campground.

Our trip started Saturday, June 20. Actually Friday, because Drew rode up from Lampasas and slept on the couch. We loaded the bikes – three hour ordeal. I was driving my VStrom up the trailer when the hitch popped off the ball and I was suddenly looking at the sky! After adjusting the hitch, after borrowing better tie-down straps, after BUYING better straps to replace the borrowed ones, we finally got the job done. Trailers and ramps scare me. My hat’s off to those who negotiate them regularly. But we’re loaded. Game on.
DSC_0526_zpsrkilhdvd.jpg

Saturday:

Nice, easy 10-hour drive from Arlington to Raton, where we camped at the Summerlan RV park. Very friendly place. Tent camping was $15 a night – very reasonable. After the bikes were unloaded, we parked the Jeep/trailer for the week in their storage area for only $1 per night.
DSC_0527_zps1fzihb7p.jpg

Dinner was at my favorite Raton spot, the El Matador Café. I had my usual – Green Chili Burger. Drew ate something bland. Rosa the waitress had been there for 30 years, so we had a little mini-reunion.

Sunday:

Today, we finally cut loose on the bikes. We rode I-25 into Colorado. At Trinidad, we turned west on Hwy 10, one of the lesser known roads, which crosses Cucharas Pass.
DSC_0531_zpsorsiypgv.jpg

DSC_0534_zpsbhcjd9l4.jpg

We met some cyclists participating in an event called Ride across America.
DSC_0532_zpsgk6by7hx.jpg

After paying homage to their physical superiority, we moved on. We picked up Hwy 160 at La Veta and followed the tourist route through Alamosa, over Wolf Creek Pass,
DSC_0537_zpsmh8j4c5t.jpg

And into Durango. By mid afternoon, we were camped at Haviland Lake National Forest campground. $20 a night, but my “old guy” senior pass cut the price in half.
DSC_0539_zpserbirlll.jpg

I had forgotten to remove the tiedown straps from my handlebars. All the way to Durango, they flapped at me like a beagle’s ears.
DSC_0540_zpsexpfo6dk.jpg

Monday:

We rode the 240 mile loop that is north up 550 to Ridgway, south on 62 and 145 to Telluride, then south through Mancos and back to Durango. Going north, we stopped for a few pictures around Molas Pass.
DSC_0542_zpsusqbygje.jpg

I caught this candid shot of Drew on his GS.
DSC_0544_zpsf5u5uprw.jpg

Then on to Silverton for some tshirt hunting.
DSC_0546_zps7lklyox7.jpg

Stopped for pictures around Red Mountain Pass.
DSC_0548_zpsiyzeoqka.jpg

DSC_0550_zpsc0ku2aai.jpg

DSC_0552_zpsiicv3ogg.jpg

Then north through Ouray.
DSC_0555_zpsttnb6ur2.jpg

Highway 62 is a fantastic rider’s road. Sorry I didn’t stop to snap pictures; we were having way too much fun. Then south on 145 into Telluride, hopefully for lunch. Big mistake – the town was a preppy ****hole, busier than Manhattan, and crawling with overtanned hipsters. We took the obligatory waterfall picture and got back out.
DSC_0559_zpsqg2tmbxf.jpg

Southbound again, we stopped to enjoy this sight along 145.
DSC_0562_zps8puq4f20.jpg

Stopped for lunch at the River Front Café in Delores.
DSC_0564_zpsixxqtr9p.jpg

And back to Haviland Lake for the evening.

Tuesday:

The day started way too early – about 12:01am for me – when I work up sick. I won’t burden you with details, but Drew was nice enough to run into town and pick up some meds for me. :puke:
DSC_0564b_zpss4ne2emp.jpg

My plumbing fixed, we moved on to our next camp. We headed north up 550 again. Toward Silverton, we had to clear the slowest moving pack of cruisers I’ve ever seen – like 900-lb obstacle cones on the road. After that, we made great time until Ridgway, where we ran into one of Colorado’s ubiquitous construction sites.
DSC_0565_zpsno5w5ml1.jpg

Thirty minutes later, we were on our way and doing well until I got stopped by one of Colorado’s Finest. Who knew it was illegal to speed while passing? I guess he didn’t like my
Texas plate. Drew didn’t photograph the goings-on, so here’s documentation of my shameful encounter.
DSC_0566_zpsdtfpspr6.jpg

$162 later, we were northbound again to Delta, where our bikes registered a whopping 100 degrees. We picked up Hwy 92, which runs along the northern edge of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It was a challenging and slow, but rewarding ride. Great twisties, great scenery.
DSC_0572_zpsfdorowrh.jpg

DSC_0573_zpsajdgmqmy.jpg

Late that afternoon, we were through Gunnison & camped just south of Almont for the next two nights. Nice campground along a roaring river, marred only by the mosquitoes.

Wednesday:

Perfect weather to explore the area. First, north to Crested Butte.
DSC_0575_zpsrnm8dhek.jpg

We explored CB – charming as ever there.
DSC_0579_zpsa0wrrdtf.jpg

Drew found a place to chill for a few minutes.
DSC_0578_zpstbcm1jfq.jpg

Strict parking regulations, though. Just after I snapped this pic, this magpie was towed away.
DSC_0581_zpsvtsxgmal.jpg

After a lunch of ice cream and, er, ice cream, we decided to get dirty. We headed toward Kebler Pass.
DSC_0583_zpsbtp3ur8o.jpg

We rode over Ohio Creek Pass and enjoyed riding through the aspens.
DSC_0585_zps0e6bj41r.jpg

We explored north of CB, toward Schofield Pass. The vistas there are breathtaking.
DSC_0588_zpsihgblxhb.jpg

DSC_0590_zpsvvxa5yyy.jpg

Time for a couple of vanity photos.
DSC_0593_zpslbwzij9x.jpg

DSC_0594_zps5cdiwzzi.jpg

We also encountered Bicycle Week, a CB annual event. We were thankful not to be in THIS campground (disclosure: I stole this photo off a website).
DSC_0597_zpstqheatux.jpg

Dinner that night was at the Old Miner Steakhouse in Gunnison; not cheap, but excellent. The owner is an avid hunter, and decorated the restaurant with his own trophies. Tongue in cheek, the waitress assured me the owner had bagged this Rocky Mountain Zebra around Crested Butte.
DSC_0598_zps4xu6wzd2.jpg

Thursday:

Moving Day again, and a long day. We were headed southeast toward Coyote Creek, NM. But first we went west, then south down 149, my very favorite Colorado highway. First it runs south along the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River.
DSC_0599_zps5ogb0hya.jpg

Then up and over Slumgullion Pass and Spring Creek Pass.
DSC_0599b_zpscnxl7ide.jpg

Then south along the Rio Grande through a valley that never ceases to take my breath away.
DSC_0606_zps7dykh2nk.jpg

Along the way, we stopped to visit North Clear Creek Falls,
DSC_0600_zpsh8yfaheo.jpg

And enjoy the Lupines.
DSC_0604_zpsb1zxfomk.jpg

I’m not used to the big, wide panniers on the new Wee. So it was in this parking lot that I accidentally grazed the bumper of a parked pickup, and dumped the bike. Drew wasn’t quick enough to photograph the moment. But here’s the scratch on my engine guard as proof. Oopsie. :oops:
DSC_0601_zpskaore8po.jpg

From South Fork we ran east on 160, then south through Questa NM and Red River. The rain caught us in Bobcat Pass. It cleared up briefly. While gassing up in Eagle Nest, we saw this and realized we were in for it.
DSC_0609_zpsdnbmqzji.jpg

We got drenched the rest of the way – through Angel Fire and south to Coyote Creek State Park. Great roads, but not much fun when we were drowning. Naturally, the sun came out just as we reached the park. Coyote Creek is a pretty little park in a beautiful area, but the campground is disappointing – basically, just a gravel parking lot. I won’t be staying there again.
DSC_0610_zpst38jfkhq.jpg

At this point, I learned my wife that my mother (I’m normally her caregiver) had suffered another stroke. We decided to cut the trip short by a couple of days so I could get home.

Friday:

We got up with the chickens and rode the 90 miles back to Raton. East from Eagle Nest, the road runs through Cimarron Canyon. Sorry I didn’t have time to snap pix. Just know that this road is an absolute joy on a bike. But alas, we couldn’t linger.

Back in Raton, we loaded the bikes back into the trailer and ran for home.
DSC_0611_zpsfnjqntww.jpg

560 miles later, we were back in Arlington. Drew once again spent the night on my couch before heading home for Lampasas the next morning.

Even though we had to shorten the trip, we both had a great time, and look forward to future trips together, and with other configurations of TWTers. Our two bikes – my DL650A and Drew’s F700GS – were a great match-up. Both ran effortlessly up long passes, ate up the curves with moxie, and handled the dirt sections well enough.

In 8 days, we rode a total of 1379 miles. Gas mileage for my Wee was impressive: low tank average of 55mpg, high of 67mpg, and a trip average of about 62mpg.

Back home, I was tired and worn out, and telling myself I’m too old to do this kind of stuff. And I’m wondering – where do I go next year? Maybe Arizona……..

PS - Drew was the official food photographer. I'm expecting some pix from him so that we can document our culinary adventures. Sorry to say there are no pictures of the campstove-cooked tuna mac that left me in a delicate way on Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
Great report. Fantastic photos. I'm making notes on the roads and campgrounds you chose. Glad you got to eat at the old miner in Gunnison. I was there for work over the last Memorial Day weekend, and they were closed. I'd like to have tried it. I ended up across the street instead. It's good too for future reference.

Sorry you had to cut the trip short, but it looks as if you got plenty of great riding in anyway.

Great photos & memory scratch on your crashbars.
Sorry to hear about your Mother, prayers your way.
Sounds like an eventful, short, picturesque trip.:clap:

Great report. Fantastic photos. I'm making notes on the roads and campgrounds you chose. Glad you got to eat at the old miner in Gunnison. I was there for work over the last Memorial Day weekend, and they were closed. I'd like to have tried it. I ended up across the street instead. It's good too for future reference.

Sorry you had to cut the trip short, but it looks as if you got plenty of great riding in anyway.

Hi, Sean. I chose Haviland Lake, just outside of Durango. An equally good campground is Junction Creek, which is actually closer to town. At Almont, I chose the Almont NF campground, 2 miles south of Almont. There are numerous other NF campgrounds along 742, NE of Almont.

For a comprehensive online listing of NF campgrounds, check this website:
http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

Tim,

As always, it is a delight seeing your lovely pictures and reading the ride report. I really like the way you composed the pictures. The waterfall looks amazing!

...seeing KP stretched on a bench with a wool cap on the picture you posted, I thought it was a local Colorado dude for a second.

:mrgreen:

Good stuff!

RB

Tim; it looks like we just missed each other on our rides. Looks like some very enjoyable day rides. May be next year we can coordinate a ride together.

I saw your reports, Joe. Looks like you're much more dirt oriented than I am. It would be fun to get together, though.

Hi, Sean. I chose Haviland Lake, just outside of Durango. An equally good campground is Junction Creek, which is actually closer to town. At Almont, I chose the Almont NF campground, 2 miles south of Almont. There are numerous other NF campgrounds along 742, NE of Almont.

For a comprehensive online listing of NF campgrounds, check this website:

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

Thanks for the info Tim.

I'm looking forward to next year's Arizona report.

:clap: the weather looked amazing 'cept for that one drencher. and i love all the full disclosure. i look forward to making it up there to ride....
thanks for sharing. :sun:

The weather was mostly good, Duchess. The first couple of days were blazing hot - highs of 95 in Durango and 100 in Delta. Gunnison / Crested Butte was very pleasant. We did get the occasional afternoon shower, but that's to be expected, and those weren't enough to wet the ground.

On the way home, we actually lucked out. We got soaked on the 25th, then rode back to Raton on the 26th under clear skies. Somebody told me that there were very heavy rains on the 27th, resulting in a boy drowning at Philmont Scout Ranch - Cimmarron Canyon is the gateway to Philmont, so I'm glad we weren't caught there.

I've always been very fortunate in my travels, and have rarely had to ride in bad weather.

There was also a mud/rock slide on 64, between Cimarron and Eagle Pass, I believe. Nice pics.

There was also a mud/rock slide on 64, between Cimarron and Eagle Pass, I believe. Nice pics.

:eek2: Glad I missed THAT fun, Danny. By the way, the construction back at Ridgway appeared to be a rockslide they were clearing and reinforcing for, but I don't know what caused it.

What a wonderful trip and report. Great pix.
Tim, hope your mom is doing well. Glad you got a break, even if it was shortened a bit.
Drew, we are waiting to hear from you!

Funny how paths cross, but with a slight miss. I was in Ouray last week when you came through. On Monday I spent lots of time on the main street with a camera and probably saw you come through. On Tuesday, I got caught in the same construction north of Ridgeway, but I was going the other direction. I had run up to the Montrose airport to pick up my kids. Going north I got lucky and went right through. South, I sat for 30 minutes.

And not being able to speed while passing is silly. If you can't speed, you don't have time/space to get past a car unless they are significantly under the limit. In Wyoming a few years back I was told that they had just passed a law allowing you to exceed the limit by 5mph to pass. Before that you weren't allowed. 5 mph isn't much though. :roll:

To be honest, Rusty, I was 12 over. But still, I think most Texas DPSers will give you that in a heartbeat, on the theory that the less time you spend across the yellow line, the better. But, life happens. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 25 years, and probably won't for another 25 or so. Sorry we didn't bump into each other.

Nice.

I've ridden almost all of those same roads and love them. Some of your photos look just like mine, especially the waterfall ;-)

I rode 550 between Ridgway and Durango at the end of April of this year. The mountains were covered in snow. There was snow, ice and sand on the road. The difference between what it looked like when I went through and your pics is amazing! Seeing them makes me REALLY want to go back.

Snow, ice, and sand on the road? Gee Scott, you make it sound so enticing. :eek2: I guess I'll always be a fairweather rider; it's challenging enough for me to stay upright on dry asphalt.

Snow, ice, and sand on the road? Gee Scott, you make it sound so enticing. :eek2: I guess I'll always be a fairweather rider; it's challenging enough for me to stay upright on dry asphalt.

:lol2:

There were a few places where the road was in the shade of the mountain and ice/slush was piled up between the tire tracks. It made for an interesting moment or two dropping down into Telluride from Lizard Head Pass...

Molas Pass on 550 was covered in snow (except for the road of course).

I think the lowest temp we saw that day was around 28 F. High temps for the trip were probably in the low 90s closer to Moab.

Somebody told me that there were very heavy rains on the 27th, resulting in a boy drowning at Philmont Scout Ranch - Cimmarron Canyon is the gateway to Philmont, so I'm glad we weren't caught there.

That road (Highway 64) claims quite a bit of lives due to the top portion of the mountain which lacks trees and is very open or exposed during storms....including this motorcycle dude from near Houston.

RB

Last edited:
To be honest, Rusty, I was 12 over. But still, I think most Texas DPSers will give you that in a heartbeat, on the theory that the less time you spend across the yellow line, the better. But, life happens. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 25 years, and probably won't for another 25 or so. Sorry we didn't bump into each other.

Texas lawmen are probably the nicest fellows in the country. :mrgreen:

KP’s & TShelfer’s Rocky Mountain Ride -2015

Saturday:

Nice, easy 10-hour drive from Arlington to Raton, where we camped at the Summerlan RV park. Very friendly place. Tent camping was $15 a night – very reasonable. After the bikes were unloaded, we parked the Jeep/trailer for the week in their storage area for only $1 per night.
DSC_0527_zps1fzihb7p.jpg

That camp site looks familiar - Great ride report - Thanks for sharing!

100_0516-L.jpg

Back