• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 MexTrek, Oct 15 - 18th, Galeana, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!!! Didn't think she'd ever go.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

thanks for the info... i'm planning to cross by Anzalduas International Bridge... so I did book at Studio 6 Mission THU night to cross FRI...

Shadman mentioned all paperwork can be done the night before... is that true?

Appears the nearby bridge is open for business on the US side 6AM to 10PM as can be seen in Dave Bell's post above. You can always run across the bridge, visit the Mexican office, get your paperwork done, and come back to the US side without ever officially exiting the plaza into Mexico. Look at the map on google and you will see what I mean. Until you exit to Mexican highway 40, you are still in the border area. However, you will have to officially reenter the US once you hit the bridge. So bring passport etc... of course.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1088986,-98.3498718,685m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1289502,-98.3293153,10951m/data=!3m1!1e3

To clarify, in case ya'll forgot, JRementeria is coming a day late. Anyone who misses Wednesday departure for any reason can tag along with him on Friday.

Peter

Last edited:
And here is the general route for Day 1, from the border crossing to Rayones, where you can split up and take hard or easy dirt to Galeana. 260 KM, 161 total miles, anticipated 5 hour drive. We will stop twice along the way to regroup, gas, hydrate, etc...

https://goo.gl/maps/LJ97jUN3eZr

No worry on getting pesos. Every time you buy something you'll get some as change. I recommend spending them on munchies while waiting in line to come back Nawth.

There is a bank in Galeana that will change dollars. i had heard rumors that it was difficult but it wasn't. when I've been there (08,09,11) you needed pesos, pemex, etc didn't want dollars. I'm hitting a cambio wednesday night.

We are in Galeana tonight. Heading down to Xilitla tomorrow. The Magdalena is expecting you guys.

Regarding Visas in Mexico - is the FMM the visa?
According to the Mexican consulate website all US citizens and legal residents do NOT require a visa in Mexio.

VISAS Print
NOTICE

"Mexican visa gives you the opportunity to travel the country. No guarantee entry into the country.
Mexico output of minors and persons under legal protection .
The people of American nationality and foreigners with legal permanent residence ("green card") or a visa proving their legal status in the United States, do not require visas to travel or stay in Mexico up to 180 days and carry tourist or other unpaid.
Americans will only carry a valid passport and in the case of foreigners, in addition to his passport, valid US visa or permanent residence card. During the flight or at the point of admission, all forms must complete immigration and customs."

Link:
http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/austin/index.php/component/content/article/63

I am reading to say I do not need a visa. Am I misunderstanding this?

You're taking a vehicle into Mexico. The required TVIP is attached to the tourist visa (FMM). You're over-thinking this.

You're taking a vehicle into Mexico. The required TVIP is attached to the tourist visa (FMM). You're over-thinking this.

yes I am. Since I live in Austin, I thought I might try to get the paperwork done here at the Mexican Consulate..... and I got lost trying to navigate their website. LOL.

yes I am. Since I live in Austin, I thought I might try to get the paperwork done here at the Mexican Consulate..... and I got lost trying to navigate their website. LOL.

I would be interested in how it goes for you at the consulate. I always get the paperwork done at the Border or interior checkpoint like Allende. 20-30 minutes typically. Rarely over 30 minutes. I expect you'll spend more time than that dealing with the consulate but I don't know.

Don't feel pressure to minimize time at the Border, as some do. Anzalduas bridge has worked very well for me riding to Galeana.

Buen Viaje!

Also, Tomorrow is Columbus Day, and I was really just trying to find out (online) if the Consulate will be open or not. I was never able to find that info. I think I will just hold off until Wed and sort out the paperwork with you guys at the border.

Well once again I'm out. Even though I was never officially "in". Riding Mexico just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me. All I have to do is THINK about going, and something will always come up to hold me back. Once again this is the case for me. Have a great ride folks! Please post plenty of pics, and tell great stories for all us less fortunate inmates to drool over.

Well once again I'm out. Even though I was never officially "in". Riding Mexico just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me. All I have to do is THINK about going, and something will always come up to hold me back. Once again this is the case for me. Have a great ride folks! Please post plenty of pics, and tell great stories for all us less fortunate inmates to drool over.
if you've never been to mejico, and what's holding you up is not a life and death situation, make TIME, it's worth it, believe me and everyone else can attest to the same, things always come up BUT make time...

The Austin Mexican Consulate does not offer the FMM there. They do offer the service of getting your vehicle paperwork done, but an on-line form needs to be filled out and approved before they can do their part. (yes, I tried all this).

I agree with Skizz. I've never taken more than a half hour at the border to get the tourist card and vehicle permit.

Regarding Visas in Mexico - is the FMM the visa?

Yes

It's a fair question because you're not alone in the possible confusion between travel visas and tourist visas. Here is an easy explanation:

Tourist visas (aka "tourist cards") like the one you're going to get, look like a traffic ticket and are issued at the border on the spot. You do not apply for tourist visas in advance as with travel visas, and they and are not stamped or stickered into your passport at all. In fact, you don't even need to bring your passport to the border - that is if you have a passport card vs passport book. There is nothing to stamp with regard to a passport card.

Travel visas are formal visas that must be applied for in advance via application through a foreign consulate. They can be issued to US citizens, most often in business situations, but for Mexico moto travelers they are never used.

Here's an interesting link that shows where in the world US citizens need a travel visa:

LINK

Scroll down in that link to Mexico.

A couple of notes:

(1) Your TVIP for your bike will only be issued with a period of validity that matches the period your tourist visa is valid - which coincides with how long your passport or passport card is valid. Informational only as MexTrek is such a short trip, but this tip may come in handy for the future.

(2) A few months ago when a bunch of us went downrange on dirt bikes in the Sierra Gorda we crossed in advance at Anzalduas to get tourist visas and TVIPs done the night before. In retrospect waiting in line to come back into the US wasn't worth the time. Of course, it was a Friday night and there was a bit of a line coming back in.

I wish we would just go over early early Thursday. I agree that going over there to do a 30 minute job and then waiting in line to get back is probably a hassle. However, since this is what the group intends to do, I'll do it. I think it will be fun to actually ride with the group (never done that) to Galeana. Tricepilot will you be stopping in for a greeting?

I might be a late joiner to this trip assuming I can get a few things worked out. I'd take the tiger 800xc or Honda Xr650l, however the 800 is more ready to roll at this time (tires and paper work all set). Never ridden into Mexico and could see this being a real ADV type of trip! I'd prefer the 650 in that terrain but thinking the 800 would be fine if not muddy at all? If taking the 800 I'd plan to just ride it the whole trip from the SA area.

Starting from S.A.? Take your 800! That's ALOT of pavement to cover before you get to the dirt roads. And, you can remove your luggage, put them in the motel room, and the 800 will feel just as light as your 650L.

Latest plan is to trailer the 650L to motel 6. It's ready to roll. Even popped on the 14t counter thinking we'll not move too quickly through Mexico headed towards the mountains.

I wish we would just go over early early Thursday. I agree that going over there to do a 30 minute job and then waiting in line to get back is probably a hassle. However, since this is what the group intends to do, I'll do it. I think it will be fun to actually ride with the group (never done that) to Galeana. Tricepilot will you be stopping in for a greeting?

Dave, you are more than welcome to get your paperwork done Thursday morning and then ride with the group. There will always be some late arrivals who end up doing this. FWIW, the ride from Studio 6 to the Mexican immigration office over the bridge is only 11km, 7 miles.

The reason Richard has recommended this is the desire to not have any hangups the morning of travel. If a document is misplaced, something forgotten that needs to be faxed, etc... we'll have 25 people waiting. Inevitably on the one guy who left his passport in the truck back at the hotel.

Day 1 travel:

The intention is that Thursday morning we will all ride as a group to the edge of the mountains Montemorelos. From there folks will likely choose 1 of 3 ride groups in order of difficulty / mileage:

1. To Rayones then offroad on the class 1 straight to Galeana, ~20 offroad miles (easy, short, for the tired and weary). 2 h 33m.

https://goo.gl/maps/i8qKABQvQMF2

2. To Rayones then offroad on the longer northern route (aka Cienega del Toro in the ride book) Takes most of the afternoon. ~ 60 offroad miles. 4 h 21 m.

https://goo.gl/maps/1Urs1d43fjy

3. Skip Rayones and go North to the waterfalls on pavement (aka Milton's Gold Standard in the guidebook) then offroad South to Rayones and Galeana ~80 offroad miles. Arrive at or after sunset. 5 h 12 m.

https://goo.gl/maps/Z7JjS3vxdf62

4 Emergency option: If on street tires, or with mechanical difficulties, in a car or truck, being towed or pushed.... go South to Linares and up the 58, all pavement, to Galeana. 1 hr 46 m. This is an amazing winding road up a beautiful canyon. You will probably ride some or all of it if you go south one day.

https://goo.gl/maps/tiJuVfbvKN82

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back