• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert, ADV, and Dos y Dos Challenges Mar 19 - 22 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what is your real name to put this to? HAHA

P

Hi Norbert! Good to see you back in the saddle. :party:

100_0663-L.jpg

Ill Tell ya Its been a tough road back for sure .Actually I"m only back limited. I'll be riding my 990. Maybe that will slow me down. At only 6 months out surgery, gota bee cool. Still gona have agreat time any way. Hasta luego

Ill Tell ya Its been a tough road back for sure .Actually I"m only back limited. I'll be riding my 990. Maybe that will slow me down. At only 6 months out surgery, gota bee cool. Still gona have agreat time any way. Hasta luego

990 slow You Down, yeah right!:trust: hahahahahahaha :rofl:

Glad your back on the bike Norbert:clap:

:ponder::ponder:
I'm still waiting to get my gps files, am I wrong in expecting them to be emailed to me?
I was thinking the same thing and have checked my email inbox regularly to begin the download to Basecamp for route planning purposes. Perhaps this week we'll see something pop in!
:ponder::popcorn:

Shadman did say he would be in the Big Bend area today so he probably has limited internet access.

I'll have my laptop with basecamp loaded, assuming there will be route to load :-P

I will be at the El Dorado from Wed to Sun

Shadman, I just registered using the Paypal method you provided in the first post. (Paypal from snake)
I am a loser doofus procrastinator, so if I have disqualified myself for any cool stuff, please, no worries. Keep the extra $'s for your selfless efforts. Besides, the REAL reason to go is just to flog bikes, have flats, and hang out with folks crazier than me. (bringing a few too)

Bringing my new 500EXC :clap: for the Desert Challenge.
If I survive that, I'm riding my new-to-me 950SE in the ADV challenge.

I'm 57 this year and this is a bucket list event for me. I don't know how to say how forward I am looking to this than that.

Cheers

Using Garmin base camp and the drawn maps from Shadman, I created the routes as GPX for the Dos y Dos. I will look at the maps Shadman drew and see if I can put them in easily. Let me know if you have problems
Jim

Attachments

• Big Bend Trip.GPX
    762.2 KB · Views: 350
Re: Dos Y Dos gpx

Correction, I thought i saw the desert challenge and other routes hand drawn on maps. Has anyone put these into the GPX format? If not, if someone will send me the drawn maps of the other routes, ill load them and post.

What is the current count of dual-sport riders?

I heard about seventy so far, although I expect a dozen or more of unregistered riders to show up the first day.

RB

Re: Dos Y Dos gpx

Correction, I thought i saw the desert challenge and other routes hand drawn on maps. Has anyone put these into the GPX format? If not, if someone will send me the drawn maps of the other routes, ill load them and post.

There were a couple of .gpx version for Desert Challenge posted earlier in this thread. They're from last (or past) year(s)... I'm guessing the route would be the same this year. That's what I plan on loading on my Garmin...

I'm not sure what to expect, if anything, in advance via email... Also doing the Adventure Challenge on Saturday, it'd be nice to get the gpx before I leave (next Tuesday).

Maybe there will be paper maps / directions at check-in...

I want to pay for a guest who will not be riding. Can I do this through paypal?

Hi guys... I do not have a fancy GPS... just have a "walmart" garmin... do I need an expensive one?

I'd rather to spend the bucks in something more useful, i.e. whiskey and beers to the buddies...

:chug:

The CT90 is ready but I have this feeling like I am bringing a knife to a gunfight. :pirate:

I just use the cell phone app and a gpx viewer. (download from this thread) All set for the desert challenge. Now that ADV challenge is another story. Lol

No file. But all the Big Pig riders are gadget dudes. Just gotta keep one of them in sight.

I wouldn't spring for a new GPS unless you really just want one. A basic GPS is sufficient out here IF it has the dirt roads. The best GPS with City Navigator can try to lead riders astray out here since the roads in the unit often don't match the roads on the ground. Topo maps are better about that, but even these show roads that don't exist.

There are so many participants coming that have been here before that a first timer can link up with a good group and enjoy the ride with a basic GPS or paper maps.

I have a way out there for my bike, plus tools, riding & camp gear. But they need to go back on Wednesday before the rally starts. I am wanting to stay camped at Terlingua so I can do the Challenge on Friday. Will anyone from Houston or San Antonio have room for an extra passenger & bike if I break down during the weekend? I will ride back to San Antonio on my bike IF it stays together for the whole week. If it doesn't cooperate, I would need a ride back from Big Bend on Sunday. (Or could leave Sat night after the party if need be)

If it doesn't cooperate, I would need a ride back from Big Bend on Sunday.

My plan was to ride from Houston Wednesday and return the Sunday, but with a work trip planned that week I can't risk a breakdown, so I will have my 800 in the back of my tiny sport trac. If all else fails, and you need a ride we can think something up, if it means renting a trailer.

Just an option in case, I'm unsure if 2 big bikes will fit in my bed.

Thanks C4nuck! :hail: With any kind of luck I will be able to motor out of there on two wheels. But we all know how luck can run sometimes. Awful good to Have a plan "B" in place. :rider:

Dear Wife will be heading west next week to the rally. She'll be bringing her mountain bike and doing a good bit of riding out of Lajitas. She'd love to have some company if any other CFO's are considering making the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back