• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert, ADV, and Dos y Dos Challenges Mar 19 - 22 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a way out there for my bike, plus tools, riding & camp gear. But they need to go back on Wednesday before the rally starts. I am wanting to stay camped at Terlingua so I can do the Challenge on Friday. Will anyone from Houston or San Antonio have room for an extra passenger & bike if I break down during the weekend? I will ride back to San Antonio on my bike IF it stays together for the whole week. If it doesn't cooperate, I would need a ride back from Big Bend on Sunday. (Or could leave Sat night after the party if need be)
I'll have room and will be headed back to San Antonio, actually the schertz area, so I'll be in btwn SA and New Braunfels.

Pm me...I'll send u my number

I'm probably coming down Tuesday (work permitting) & staying in Presideo for a couple of nights so I can ride and/or mountain bike in the State Park Wednesday/Thursday.

Would love the company.

My brother and me are heading up from Boerne on the 19th in the early morning. Anyone want to group up and ride. We are going to be on the big bikes. Hit me up with a PM. I might have a foldout couch available in our suite at the El Dorado. I'm waiting to hear from a coworker if he wants to attend so if he doesn't he couch will be for sublet. LOL.

My brother and me are heading up from Boerne on the 19th in the early morning. Anyone want to group up and ride. We are going to be on the big bikes. Hit me up with a PM. I might have a foldout couch available in our suite at the El Dorado. I'm waiting to hear from a coworker if he wants to attend so if he doesn't he couch will be for sublet. LOL.

Disregard. Couch Taken.

Rally recap 3/12/2015:

Well I barely escaped Big Bend. I almost became a permanent resident living in a bus in Rio Grande Village. But after 300 miles of parts and fluid gathering on a 250cc bike we got the old beast to Terlingua and up to the El Dorado. Another 2 days of occasional wrenching and intelligence gathering and we were at 50% and managed to lope back to Houston at a painful 50 MPH cruise. It only took 17 hours and we arrived at 4:30 AM last night, so here I am back at work as planned. Uuuugh.

The good news is tee shirts are being printed, trophies are being crafted, food is being prepared, Terlingua is expecting us, my bikes are left out there ready to ride, and most everything is cooking along. The desert is extremely wet, wildflowers are everywhere, whole mountainsides are covered with bluebonnets.

We have 85 confirmed and 15 tentative riders, plus tag-alongs. 32 Desert Challenge, 26 Adventure Challenge, and 17 Dos y Dos riders.

The big questions I keep seeing are

1. Mapping / gps / tracks: I will be emailing tracks tonight hopefully by Midnight. Dos Y Dos needs modifications. With the recent rains the trails are rough and on my 230F I had a difficult time with Black Gap. It took about 1:15 at advanced pace to run from Mariscal Mine up to concrete thru Black Gap. I am thinking this route will break most any Dos Y Dos competitor on Dos Y Dos specific equipment. As such, I am modifying the route for all but the most skilled and hearty to go to the mine and back via river road. Black Gap to Glen Springs should only be attempted by skilled riders, intermediate / advanced on reliable equipment.

2. Camping / lodging. There seemed to be no shortage of camping available, even this first weekend of spring break. Showers are available at multiple places in the Ghost Town vicinity for a small fee. There is plenty of dirt available in the rear lot of the host hotel, The El Dorado, AKA the High Sierra (the name of the bar in the center of the hotel).

3. Check in: We will have a table set up under the patio in front of the host hotel mid morning on Thursday. We'll have sign in sheets, wristbands for meals, stickers for challenge participants, guidebooks, tee shirts, and friendly advice, to some degree. We will man this check in station noon until Midnight so everyone has ample time to check in, eat dinner (6 - 9 fajita buffet), grab a beverage, etc.

More to come...

Last edited:
I've been quoting $70 for a non-rider to attend all food events and get a tee shirt. This applies only to plus one's with a registered rider please. Paypal unclesaroundthebend@gmail.com with a tee shirt size if possible and who they are coming with.

For those tag alongs not wanting all the meals, we'll have some sort of cash option for each meal on site, paid direct to the vendor so folks aren't inconvenienced and can come along.

Just stumbled on this site and event. Count us in. Two of us on XT250s arriving Wednesday night or Thursday. Will sign up when we get there on Thursday. We'd like to do the Dos y Dos, but being on 250s we'll do it "unofficially" I guess.

Count me in, will sign up Thursday. Will be at the State Park Saturday the 14th.
Be on the KLX400/DRZ.

weather.png

I will be awaiting email on the GPS tracks for Adv Challenge , leaving this Sunday going to stay at BBRSP for a couple of days before heading over for Uncles

I will be awaiting email on the GPS tracks for Adv Challenge , leaving this Sunday going to stay at BBRSP for a couple of days before heading over for Uncles

Dude, meet us up in Kermit for some sand dunes on Weds the 18th. If not look for us at the Big Bend Resort and RV Park. We'll be tenting it. Bring Beer :)
If you cant find us call me on my cell.
Ride on, Be safe!

Peter, just paid on PayPal. XXL T-Shirt and my wife will sign up for the Non-Rider meals when she gets there with a XL t-shirt.
Thanks for the info and we'll see you there. List me as Chiricahua AKA Slaugo.

Dude, meet us up in Kermit for some sand dunes on Weds the 18th. If not look for us at the Big Bend Resort and RV Park. We'll be tenting it. Bring Beer :)
If you cant find us call me on my cell.
Ride on, Be safe!

Peter, just paid on PayPal. XXL T-Shirt and my wife will sign up for the Non-Rider meals when she gets there with a XL t-shirt.
Thanks for the info and we'll see you there. List me as Chiricahua AKA Slaugo.

Peter, slaugo@hotmail.com for the gps tracks. No sure how well theyll do me, using GPS for the first time on the Moto.

I just sent an email to everyone who has registered with tracks and event schedule. Below is the list I sent and might not include a couple of folks who just signed up. If you are on this list, and did not get an email, probably spam filters or size limits kicked it back. Send me an email at unclesaroundthebend@gmail.com and I will reply with all info needed.

Peter

First Name Last Name
Vernon Markworth
Robert Krull
Carla Krull
Lee Coltharp
James Langford
Steve Williams
Ralph Robson
John Deno
Dale Hubregs
Will Hendrix
Andy Valentine
Jay Valentine
Bradley Bryan
Christine Dison
Sean Dison
Mike Wernsing
Doug Miller
Robert Rockco
Randy Garner
Brad Collins
Barry Keenly
Robert McClain
Jose Mendoza
Mark Winer
Gregory Beasley
Roger Dukeman
Hugo Garcia
Robert Krogman
Chad Shaver
Aaron Estep
Jeffrey Stephens
Juan Rementeria
Nadeem Azhar
Charles Nevle
John Burns
Joseph Cameron
Dustin Crowder
Chad Neely
Richard Heitzman
Philip Barrett
Paul Heitzman
Bruce Miller
Ben Groenewald
James Moore
Garren Lain
Adrian Beaulieu
Evgeniv Gentchev
Rick Miller
Kathryn Rae Roberts
David Powell
Rod Von Grote
Edward Harrison
Norbert Gromelski
Chuck Schoenfeld
Gregory Rigby
Chad Ostrander
John Bridges
Scott Ray
Israh Cortez
Mark Daniel
Robert Thomas
William Vogl
Camillo Diaz
Jesse Richardson
Ken Sifford
Kevin Jemison
Michael Murch
Kenneth Crawford
Dennis Lui
Juan Guerra
Brad Minter
Eduardo Lopez
Greg Smith
Howard Arey
Bruce Lambert
Carrie Sray
Carmen Rivera

Jack Jeter
JT JT
Peter Shaddock
Everett Fox
RG

SL350
Travel Diva
Travel Diva
Red Brown
RG Wife Banquet
3 jeep eaters
James Higgins

I am in too. Will start traveling out there later today. Hoping to do the Desert Challenge on Friday, and possibly the early bird ride if I don't end up out at the BB Ranch on Wed & Thurs.

The sweep team will have gas for sale. No credit cards, bring cash, lots of cash...
:mrgreen:

Any discount for payment in advance? I will pre-order and pre-pay for two gallons delivered ~75 miles past Rio Grande Village. Can do PayPal today. Lol

_

Any discount for payment in advance? I will pre-order and pre-pay for two gallons delivered ~75 miles past Rio Grande Village. Can do PayPal today. Lol

_

Are you going to carry premix ? I wouldn`t want to have to ask JT to carry it for you :shock:

With the rain this week and maybe some next week, the desert should be blooming. It might be quite a show.

_

Actually, the sweep team may have just enough gas for themselves. It looks like I may be on my KDX220 with the itty-bitty gas tank. I rode a 300 mile DS ride on the KLX400 today and toward the end, I kept feeling a slow speed wobble that was not pretty. I kept hoping it just the bald rubbers, but when I finally got back to the truck and looked close at the rear wheel, I found a broken spoke and a few loose ones. If I can't find some DRZ/KLX spokes in 2 days, I'll be riding sweep on the smoker.:flip:

I'll be doing sweep Saturday and will have extra gas, for the right price [emoji6]

Sent from my handheld, please ignore the typos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back