• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert, ADV, and Dos y Dos Challenges Mar 19 - 22 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you going to carry premix ? I wouldn`t want to have to ask JT to carry it for you :shock:

Why not? Sounds like he might be running premix himself now. Lol

No premix needed just gas. I'll dump oil into my dromedary bag and then carry enough to mix into the tank when I fill up at Rio Grande Village. If there was gas out on the route I wouldn't need to also fill and strap on the dromedary at RGV. That sounds kinda weird doesn't it?

_

What an great group of people on this forum! I was just offered the loan of a wheel, so I guess my DRz, 'ol fireball', is back in action.

Thank you. :chug:

JT You are welcome to come get mine if it's not too far. It's got a half worn 606 that you can burn through.
I would need it back by April 3 or 4th !

I'm East of Sulphur Springs. Can have it off and ready to go anytime.

JT You are welcome to come get mine if it's not too far. It's got a half worn 606 that you can burn through.
I would need it back by April 3 or 4th !

I'm East of Sulphur Springs. Can have it off and ready to go anytime.

Thank you Don, but I just setup a meet with JMQ2 for this afternoon, and he's a lot closer too. It's his spare wheel, so its already off his bike.

Thanks Don and JMQ2!

For Sale plated 2005 Honda CRF 450X

Hello fellow Big Bend bound Two Wheeled Texans.

I have been telling an old college roommate of mine for years that he should join be on this ride, this will be my fourth time there. This year he decided to call my bluff and is flying in to DFW on Tuesday evening. I ended up buying a bike for hime to ride just for this weekend with plans to sell it after the ride.

So, I'm posting here to see if anyone would be interested in picking up a very nice 2005 Honda CRF 450X with plate and title on Sunday or I could deliver on my way back home to DFW.

I bought it from the original owner and will include all the stock parts;
-new unmounted rear tire
-new in the box piston, rings, wrist pin and gaskets
-owners and service manual.

Farkels include;

-Rekluse clutch
-Oversize fuel tank
-Acerbis hand guards
-Rear rack
-High low beam headlight
-Rear taillight with rear brake light switch only
-Boysen quick shot accelerator pump on the carb with adjustable air screw
-Extra air filter

PM me if interested and I can haul all the spares with me.

Asking $3300 obo

A note about HWY 170....

"Pete, Don't know if you got to ride the paved road while you were here. It got a very bad seal coat job last summer and is still shedding gravel. You might want to mention it to the ADV Challenge riders or even the general meeting folks. I am going to ride it tomorrow along with Pinto Canyon. If I see anything else worth mentioning to the group I will let you know"

And yes, it is still shedding. My poor daughter got nailed by a gravel rock to the knee.

Last edited:
Wonder if the big atlas, Roads of Texas, would have the trails on it? That or a hardcopy map for GPS challenged riders would be nice.

For those of you handling the GPX files via a Mac, the still excretable Garmin BaseCamp has a new version which, even if you select "Check for Updates" does not show up as a needed update. But of course (this being Garmin) it is. Still lousy but at least they appear to have fixed the crashing issues when moving files. Version is 4.4.6, download from;

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

Wonder if the big atlas, Roads of Texas, would have the trails on it? That or a hardcopy map for GPS challenged riders would be nice.

if the stars continue to align themselves in my favor we will have hardcopy maps available at registration. These should also have been emailed in the mass email to all registered riders yesterday.

Tomorrow at 6PM I will add all new emails and corrected emails and resend all the files and map pictures.

Peter

Also, for all of the riding within the national park (Dos Y Dos and half of Desert Challenge), there is an excellent map given away at the park entrance that is detailed. It is the same general map as these:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Map_of_Big_Bend_National_Park.png

or this:

http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Big-Bend-National-Park-map

Last edited:
A note about HWY 170....

"Pete, Don't know if you got to ride the paved road while you were here. It got a very bad seal coat job last summer and is still shedding gravel. You might want to mention it to the ADV Challenge riders or even the general meeting folks. I am going to ride it tomorrow along with Pinto Canyon. If I see anything else worth mentioning to the group I will let you know"

And yes, it is still shedding. My poor daughter got nailed by a gravel rock to the knee.

Rode it today, it's fine. Got nailed by a couple of honey bees.

The Desert Challenge this year may be more challenging than the last.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-16%20at%208.32.21%20AM.png

Mike(SL350) and I are making final plans for our trip. We will drive to Balmorhea Park for Wed night. Then to Terlingua on Thurs. morn.

dand.jpg

I'm packing a good lunch for trail side dining.

manducks.jpg

A note about HWY 170....

"Pete, Don't know if you got to ride the paved road while you were here. It got a very bad seal coat job last summer and is still shedding gravel...

Ed29 and I rode it in Dec. I pinched a hole in my seat in one curve where I started skipping across the center line due to loose chip seal.

TXDOT sure has taken allot of the fun out of that road. :giveup:

As of yesterday morning there is a double room available at The Chios Mining Hotel. Don't know if it's still there but thought I'd let everyone know.

Dirty KLX with loaner rear wheel and KDX on the trailer ready for a Wednesday Morning flight. Thanks McKinley for saving the trip!

IMG_0282-XL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back