• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 9th Annual Uncle's Around the Bend, Feb 25th - 28th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with the folks at Big Bend Resorts and Adventures, aka the owners of the Party Barn where we'll have the Saturday night banquet, and they have 6 rooms available, 2 queens, for $95 for Thursday to Saturday nights. They are located all around the gas station in Study Butte, literally, 5.3 miles from the ghost Town and hub of activity.

I will be staying in a new to me bus. Just look for us in the lot behind the El Dorado, arriving mid day Wednesday, assuming this 56 year old beauty doesn't get cranky.

Attachments

• 988581_10204500540982243_2315376248052027012_n.jpg
    988581_10204500540982243_2315376248052027012_n.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 250
I'm penciled in,

Who's camping? Am considering Big Bend Resort ADV campground. Anyone else planning to camp or have info on other good camping prospect?

Topanga campgrounds is about 5 miles west of the HQ hotel. It seems they've got decent restrooms and shower set-up there. $10.00 a night.

I am suddenly 50/50 whether or not I'll make it to Big Bend.

I'm not yet sure what, I just did something the equivalent of blowing up my 2002 XR650L's motor. There were loud metal crunching noises and the motor seized while going down the freeway. I only just now got the bike back home in my truck. It went from running perfectly to very sad.

This is a motor that I myself built and drove for thousands of miles in Mexico, so I can't wait to see what actually happened. I hope to have the motor tore down by this evening and will know more then.

Wish me luck.
-Steve

Best wishes on that. I look forward to hearing the results of your tear down.

Not good, at least it didn't happen next week. Now at least you have a little time .
The way my luck runs it would have happened the day before leaving.

Am considering Rancho Topanga campgrounds. Any reviews?
http://http://www.ranchotopanga.com
Not sure where Uncle's is located...:shrug:

Wednesday night's newbie dinner will be at the green dot, the Starlight Theater Restaurant. It is at the top of the hill under the Pegasus lit up at night. Each evening folks gather on the "Front Porch" of the Starlight to swap stories and watch the day fade away. There's also a nice fire pit if you remember to bring some firewood from home.

Thursday night's welcome dinner will be at the El Dorado Hotel and High Sierra Bar, located at the corner of Hwy 170 and Ivey Road, basically at the entrance to the Terlingua Ghost Town area. On the map, it is the Red Dot.

Breakfast each morning will be at the Starlight Theater Restaurant. All organized and most informal rides will start and end at the Starlight.

Saturday will be at the Party Barn, located just south of the gas station in Study Butte, 5 miles east of HQ. if you don't know where that gas station is, you're not gonna make it anywhere in Big Bend :lol2:

Attachments

• Uncle's.jpg
    Uncle's.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
There's also a nice fire pit if you remember to bring some firewood from home.

Not sure abt the fire ?:shrug:
Brewster Co. just went under a burn ban after the Big Bend fire. I think the firepit at retro rents is closed for now....

Sounds like the roads may be a little dusty and loose. Oddly, it's rained the last three times I've been in that area. :zen:

Sounds like the roads may be a little dusty and loose. Oddly, it's rained the last three times I've been in that area. :zen:

Don`t rule out rain till it`s over, remember we are in Texas and anything is possible..

I'm not yet sure what happened, but I just did something the equivalent of blowing up my 2002 XR650L's motor. There were loud metal crunching noises and the motor seized while going down the freeway. I only just now got the bike back home in my truck. It went from running perfectly to very sad.
-Steve

This....

WF12dA6.jpg

So a valve broke loose. Bent the rod. Everything North of the crank is trashed. (I believe all my fancy transmission stuff is still fine.) I don't think its possible to source the parts fast enough to fix this for the trip.

Moral of the story: Stuff happens. I have to admit I am super thankful it let loose a few miles from home instead off in Big Bend or Old Mexico. May this be a reminder to have something of a backup/bail out plan when the 'stuff' hits the fan.

Who knows. Maybe I'll still make it down, but probably not.

Peace and grease
-Steve

Question for the Desert Challenge participants:

Last year we ran Counter Clockwise. This year I had planned to make it counterclockwise, as Richard, I believe, swapped direction each year to spice things up.

A gentleman on the ride thinks Counter Clockwise is superior. I tend to agree. Does anyone have issue with just running it counter clockwise again this year? I think part of the issue is getting a pass at the entrance when going CCW is straightforward. Going CW folks have had to seek out a park ranger and ask what to do.

Thoughts?

Peter

I just spoke to my buddy Tim who maintains all of the vehicles and creations for the owner of the El Dorado / High Sierra. He mentioned he is kind of a celebrity, people asking for autographs and all, afterthe national geographic reality show "Badlands" followed him around in his dune buggy, truck, chasing snakes and other critters, cruising in the convertible caddy, etc... Herman, the owner, is also on the show driving his Hellcat sideways, haha. I am about to start watching episode 1.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/badl...-the-road/876066/?video=25402816&source=10001

I'm not yet sure what, I just did something the equivalent of blowing up my 2002 XR650L's motor. There were loud metal crunching noises and the motor seized while going down the freeway. I only just now got the bike back home in my truck. It went from running perfectly to very sad.

This is a motor that I myself built and drove for thousands of miles in Mexico, so I can't wait to see what actually happened. I hope to have the motor tore down by this evening and will know more then.

Wish me luck.
-Steve
OUCH Big time.
Good Luck..

Question for the Desert Challenge participants:

Last year we ran Counter Clockwise. This year I had planned to make it counterclockwise, as Richard, I believe, swapped direction each year to spice things up.

I prefer CCW only because the only time I've tried it that direction I had a big fail. Was looking forward to getting up, dusting off, & get back on the pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back