• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 9th Annual Uncle's Around the Bend, Feb 25th - 28th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another reason to run across the road to Retro Rents and come visit during the rally. (Just look for the old Jeep with the flags flying.)

I'll have air filter cleaning and drying equipment setup for anyone to use. And, yes, you can expect it's probably going to get dusty out there this year. The filter drier looks like this and I'll have a few available if anyone wants to take one home to save time with cleaning a filters. Dries a filter in about 10 minutes.

filter3.gif

Awesome!

Wildfire in Big Bend

Part of the natural order of things. No big deal.

Remember when the Yellowstone fire of 1988 had park officials worried it would be the end of the park. Turned out it was the best thing that every happened.

It says power is out at Rio Grande Village (no gas).

We have about 3 weeks now.

Looking at Terlingua stats, I find non-DST sunrise of 7:22 AM and sunset of 6:51 PM. As such I am planning to have the group breakfast from 7 - 9 AM, with Desert, Adventure, and Dos Y Dos challenges kicking off at 8AM. Last year I made a snafu and had challenges starting at 8 AM, but this was just after the change to DST and so we were heading out before sunrise. Opps, sorry for that guys.

This year lets hope for the best winter weather possible. Highs in Terlingua on Feb 23 can be as high at 90, and lows as low as 15. But most years we fall in that super sweet spot of highs in the mid 70's and lows in the mid 40's, aka perfect riding and camping weather.

A couple of things to note about temps: The farther you head west and north, the colder you should expect to be. Riders on the Adventure challenge need to be aware that Marfa Texas has average highs and lows almost 15 degree cooler than Terlingua. Even just riding up highway 170 to Presidio, expect to see a 10 degree temp drop. Likewise Panther Junction, up in the National Park, at much higher elevation than river road, has averages 10 degrees cooler than Terlingua. And if you continue past Panther Jctn to Rio Grande Village for the Dos y Dos, expect the warmest temps, about 5 degrees above Terlingua. Of course, last year, late March, we saw ice everywhere..from a hail storm, not cold, haha.

Cliff notes: Be ready for hot or cold riding weather. Don't be the guy in an MX jersey 30 miles away from HQ at sunset and 40 degree with wind. Its no fun. Been there, done that. Miserable.

Peter

Last edited:
Ok last minute got an OK from boss for the trip
Thus need place to put my head down and shower
Looking online seems all lodging taken
If anyone has place to share or where I throw down sleeping pad much appreciated
As always will share costs
Ben

Regretfully I have to withdraw from this ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Saturday I'm considering going to BBRSP for some of the lesser used roads. The first half of this video shows a road in the park that is rather remote and unused (open to public two years ago). Strong way finding (and GPS skills) is ideal as the light two track fades to one track to seemingly no track at times.

https://youtu.be/D-k2pSY8M4A

Michael, that's some pretty remote country. The ranger fellow wanted to know all about it a couple years ago after he learned that I'd ridden that northwest area. They don't go out there, and we were the only riders he'd heard of doing it - according to him. I'll make the trip with you if you want some company. Bet we could cajole Philip into going too if we promise to try and keep up.

On Saturday I'm considering going to BBRSP for some of the lesser used roads. The first half of this video shows a road in the park that is rather remote and unused (open to public two years ago). Strong way finding (and GPS skills) is ideal as the light two track fades to one track to seemingly no track at times.

https://youtu.be/D-k2pSY8M4A

_RG_;1410029Bet we could cajole Philip into going too if we promise to try and keep up.[/QUOTE said:
Sounds like a plan! The pace in the video was perfect for me, I'm a stop & smell the flowers kinda guy.

RG, there's also the Cienega MTNs (that general area) that have some that have some roads I've not been on yet. Might be worth doing. I can think of a few others that will be at this event that'll likely want some of this too.

Yep, the Cienaga area is a good desert ride. There are a couple down hills where you lock up the rear and try to keep it behind the front, couple neat creek crossings too. Trail gets pretty faint for a ways. It'll be a fun ride. I'd like to run the Guale rd. loop and get some video at suicide hill if time permits. There's also some neat trails out around the Solitario area. So little time, so many trails... Have to start early and finish late.

Is anyone planning on going a few days early or,staying a couple days after the event to do some additional riding?

If anyone has not registered, or registered and not paid, please register and pay by Wednesday so I have a firm head count for meals and such. Thanks everyone!!!

Peter

As of this morning we have 57 registered and paid riders, 13 unpaid / undecided. I'll begin bookings for 70 - 75 riders since we always have 20 - 25 join up last minute.

Hey Peter, money just paypaled and room reserved at Chisos. I'll be with my friend Mike Harney who has a new (to him) GS 1200. Looking forward to it.

Hey Peter, money just paypaled and room reserved at Chisos. I'll be with my friend Mike Harney who has a new (to him) GS 1200. Looking forward to it.

:clap: :clap:

I'm at the Chisos as well Dave, looking forward to seeing you out there. I'm bringing the KTM 500 to rip it with Mark Subcomm on Black Gap :eek2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back