• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 9th Annual Uncle's Around the Bend, Feb 25th - 28th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on leaving Wednesday the 24th. Will have ano extra spot in the truck if anyone needs to hitch a ride.

I'm not going to make it down this year. I just canceled my reservation at Chisos Mountain Lodge in the Park if someone wants to grab it. They usually sell out far in advance. Feb 25-28: Emory Peak w/1 Double & 1 Twin Bed. (877) 386-4383.

can anyone tell me if there will be free camping at "Gareth Park" (the lot across the highway from the High Sierra bar) again this year??

This sounds like a blast. My KTM 350 EXCF holds 2.25 gallons of gas, good for ~100 miles. Is that short for this trip?

Peter - what is the current count of registered users (including Salma Hayek) for the Uncle's Around the Bend Rally?

RB

Hey, if you are on this list, and haven't responded to me yet, I'd like to figure out if you are still planning to come!!

Unpaid:

Wayne Baumgarten
Tyler Boob
Kenny Crawford
jerry crutcher
tom dierks
Tracy Firmin
Tim ` Hagen
Randy Mcclendon
Mike Nelson
Jesse Rodriguez
Ivan Santiago
Tracy Shipley

Hold my spot / Unpaid:

Dale Hubregs
Fred Malone
Terry Wills

Last edited:
Peter - what is the current count of registered users (including Salma Hayek) for the Uncle's Around the Bend Rally?

RB

70 plus those on the list above who are not confirmed. I'm budgeting for 75 - 90 total. There are always a few last minute arrivals throwing a little yipping monkey wrench in the clockworks. I will email the file with everyone's contact info to all riders a few days in advance so we have each other's contact info.

Confirmed:

Chris Auerbach
Benjamin Barkley
Lynn Beckwith
David Bell
Don Bell
James (Jay) Birdsong
Douglas Black
Chuck Blair
Arnold Bragewitz
Shannon Brooks
Chip Brooks
Curtis Bulls
Chris Burns
Bob Carson
Lee Coltharp
jud cowley
Ralph Crowder
Howard Evans
Martin Feher
Joseph Fink
Bob Garlick
Randy Garner
Michal Gazi
norbert gromelski
Adam Gromelski
Steve Gunn
David Guzman
Tim Hale
michael harney
Keith Hickman
James Higgins
Richard Howland
Barry Jackson
Rob Jadusingh
Regina Jaquysh
Barry Keenly
Rob Kitchens
James Langford
Bob Lindner
Vernon Markworth
Kyle McQueen
Scott McQueen
Nicholas Meyer
Steve Michaelis
Rick Miller
Mike Murch
Douglas Muxworthy
Steve Newsom (wells on Paypal)
Jeff Nouie
Travis Perkins
David Powell
James Queen
McKinley Queen
Scott Ray
JERRY RHODES
CRAWFORD RHODES
Greg Rigby
Collin Rigby
Dave Scott
Peter Shaddock
Sid Shaddock
Stan Simpson
Jon Smiley
Jason Spates
Pete Taylor
rg thomas
John Thompson
Richard Tookey
mike wernsing
Darryl Wills

Oh, for the special events:

New Rider Welcome Dinner / Ride: 7 newbs + 4 "instructors" = 11

Desert Challenge: 51

Adventure Challenge: 16

Dos Y Dos: 20

Didn't take long for the conspiracy theorists to start hacking the facts apart.

My good friend from Lamar High School in Houston, TX is the owner of Boyz2Men Trailer Park Eatery in Marfa (And previously owned Padre's, a marfa landmark), played in bands including the El Orbits and Banana Blender Surprise in Houston and Austin, was a regular entertainer at the Continental Clubs, is a DJ on Marfa public radio 93.5, and most recently was elected J.P for Marfa and surrounding areas. He's been interviewed by national press about the medical investigation, coroner's report, etc... Anyone's best bet to catch up on what actually happened is to ride the ADVenture challenge and have lunch in Marfa and catch the scoop firsthand from David or one of his talented staff.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/boyz2men-taco-trailer-marfa

70 yr old men just sometimes die of natural causes. Sometimes alot younger.
Need to get your friend to put the band back together & play at the banquet. Some Frank Marino & Mohagany Rush would be nice
:eek2:

Are there any "non-organized" groups planning rides (not the paid rides / challenges) on Fri & Sat? I would possibly be intrested in a ride Friday as I'm not sure I'm ready for the Desert Challenge.

Are there any "non-organized" groups planning rides (not the paid rides / challenges) on Fri & Sat? I would possibly be intrested in a ride Friday as I'm not sure I'm ready for the Desert Challenge.

Every day there will be small groups of 2 -8 guys heading out from breakfast on unorganized rides. Friday, probably 40 or so freelancers. Saturday, about 50 based on organized ride attendance. One group is doing Mexico (close to USA, no import permit needed) on Saturday. Offroad to a point where you can overlook the US from Mexico. Thursday many guys arrive early and ride the close proximity roads north into Terlingua Ranch. Either Wednesday or Sunday I'll be with a small group heading to the Ghost Town that Herman (El Dorado owner) purchased, on a 15 mile trek into the unknown with the boys from the Badlands TV series, haha. All you have to do is show up at the High Sierra on Thursday to find others out and about, or the Starlight / Front porch most other days around breakfast time. We will have "official" ride meetings both Friday and Saturday at 7:30 at the Starlight at the free, bacon included, breakfast buffets. Guys will group up then and head out daily.

Peter

Anyone new to the scene should meet us on Thursday morning for the newbie ride north on ranch road. It will be about a 50 mile round trip, not very difficult, but scenic, close, and fun.

On Saturday I'm considering going to BBRSP for some of the lesser used roads. The first half of this video shows a road in the park that is rather remote and unused (open to public two years ago). Strong way finding (and GPS skills) is ideal as the light two track fades to one track to seemingly no track at times.

https://youtu.be/D-k2pSY8M4A

I am in for BBRSP. I will have my trailer and we can haul bikes to Ft Leaton .
I will be staying in Study Butte next to the gas station. Black box trailer.:rider:

I'm a newb to the TWT and dual sport organized ride scene but I've been riding for years. I hope to make it to the newb ride on thursday, depends how rough work is on Wednesday.

I planned to get a GPS before this trip but can't decide which unit to invest in. Do I absolutely need a GPS or can I just tag along with a group my speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back