• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 9th Annual Uncle's Around the Bend, Feb 25th - 28th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking like 80s in the daytime and low 50s to high 40s at night with all the sunshine you can handle. Roads are dusty but otherwise in very good condition. River Road in the park is in better condition than I have seen to date. It is almost too good. The small bike group will have a lot more fun meeting their milage goal this year. Black Gap is Black Gap... bring your "A" game for that one.

If you get a chance, look into the Christmas Mountains, the views are fantastic! Yes, I am already here!
Christmas%20Mountain%20Overlook_zpsdwgc47wt.jpg

Could prevent an in-field tube replace/repair with all that cacti and the like out there....

:giveup:
slime_motorcycle_tire_sealant.jpg

Some people don`t care for it, but I`m a believer. I have bounced over around and through too many mesquite trees without a flat to not use it.

I planned to get a GPS before this trip but can't decide which unit to invest in. Do I absolutely need a GPS or can I just tag along with a group my speed?

No one ever truly needs a gps. Big Bend has plenty of signage and lots of landmarks that make dead reckoning easy. Best bet it to preload riding map areas on your cell phone and use it in a pinch. Your cell can always use GPS to tell you where you are, and if you preload area maps it will lead you back to civilization.

P

For the National Park - the map they hand you at the permit shack is all you should need. There will be groups going out at all kinds of times. Throw in with one that looks like they're doing your style of riding and you'll have a blast. You'll have a way better time riding with a group - fixing flats, helping each other make it through tough spots, falling over... even getting lost together can be a hoot. Having stuff on your phone would surely be a great convenience and a useful tool if you can get it done.

If you plan to visit the State Park then we really should discuss GPS or some kind of navigation.

Ok, my little brain cell just stumbled across something. The Dos y Dos is a start and finish loop from Rio Grande Village, correct? How are we getting the little bikes there and back from Study Butte in a timely fashion?

Ok, my little brain cell just stumbled across something. The Dos y Dos is a start and finish loop from Rio Grande Village, correct? How are we getting the little bikes there and back from Study Butte in a timely fashion?

Last year I trailered the CT90 over to the Rio Grande village gas station where they let us park in the parking lot. The only highway riding was from there to the start of the trail and all highway speed limit is 45. At one point I could only do 30 and moved to the right to let the sidehacks pass.

This year I am camping at Rio Grande and will already be there.

Most, maybe all, did trailer to the gas station. We ate lunch there too (sandwiches and chips).

Camping Spot reserved at Rancho Topanga. Estimated arrival Wednesday afternoon. :bigokay:

Looks like I'll need to bum a ride on a trailer or get a very early start. If I can't get this front brake issue sorted out, I may have to bail on the Dos Y Dos.

Don't forget the entire park has a maximum speed limit of 45 so it is very Dos y Dos friendly.

What kind of bike and front brake issues are you having?

Exited to be part again of the event
Friday Desert challenge in BMW F800gs slow and steady - I'm recovering from nasty fall
Saturday on "sport bike" Honda CT90 - slower and fun

Yeeeee haaaaa! I want you to finish the Dos Y Dos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The rides

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 273
Adjusted the chain and re-oiled my airfilter on the TW - now to get the gear together and be ready to go. Staying at a Chisos Mining cabin, along with several more Dos y Dos folks/bikes, including a XT225, CRF250L, another TW200, a couple of C70 Passports and several Ural rigs. :sun:

What kind of bike and front brake issues are you having?

The front brake locks up, I bled the brake twice now with good clean fluid and it will operate normal, check it in the afternoon while sitting all day and it is locked up. Bleed it and it operates normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back