• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadman made fun of my A-La-Paris Hilton travel prep post on FB. Peter, I said it before, i'll say it again. I need my 3 sets of gear for morning, afternoon, and evening, plus, my korean ramen, chef set, boom box, and most importantly, a space to load up my full collection of Don Julio on the way

c3a09a7194e827785bbf3f0892a21182_zpss4p8yoej.jpg

095e8bb8bd47a4b0b21ac654f93c10db_zpslzhac72o.jpg

24f2b7cc45cb512dd4b1fb96915006dc_zpsy2daiigo.jpg

with just over a week to go, is anyone thinking about grouping up for the ride to the boarder?

Guess most people are arranging small group cells.
I have Joeybaila, and David Shin. We will load 2 bikes on the truck bed, and 1 on the hitch-bike mount. This way we avoid bringing a trailer.

Anyone in the FW area that needs Peso`s, there is a Wells Fargo on Hulen at Bellaire that stocks them..............

Anyone in the FW area that needs Peso`s, there is a Wells Fargo on Hulen at Bellaire that stocks them..............

I plan to just get mine at the border. You guys that have done his before recommend getting them beforehand?

I'm hearing chatter about parking vehicles, trailers etc.
If you need a place to park Truck / Trailer in Mission try Oleander Acres RV park. They will charge you a ridiculously low storage fee to park in an empty RV spot. Lots of room, quiet & secure (there are lots of older snowbirds that winter here).
I always park an RV here & never had a problem. The nice ladies in the office will even hold my keys for me so I don't get back from a week SOTB and find myself standing at my RV & truck wondering where in Mejico I lost my keys :eek2:
956 585 9093.
It's only 5 min to the Anzalduas crossing, and about 15 to 20 from the Los Ebanos crossing if you have not done that yet.

I plan to just get mine at the border. You guys that have done his before recommend getting them beforehand?

Either way works.

Personally I find if I get them in advance, its one less thing I need to mess with at the border.

Guess most people are arranging small group cells.
I have Joeybaila, and David Shin. We will load 2 bikes on the truck bed, and 1 on the hitch-bike mount. This way we avoid bringing a trailer.

Hey Mark (and David),

Fill out the google sheet! THX

ttps://goo.gl/forms/EhXaB0tXFyKjgfib2

Peter

Last edited:
If you aren't on the list, I am not sure if you are coming....

Confirmed Rider Count:

Peter Shaddock
Justin Catrett
David Hicks
Ken Musgrove
Randy Schnedler
Mike Brewster
Greg Beaver
Kenny Arrowood
Justine Burris
Bob Krogman
Mike Nelson
David Johnson
Becky Johnson
Nick Meyer
Rich Simmons
Mark Winer
andre nieuwenhuis
Dao Hoang
travis west
Thomas Mangold
Alan Bowen
John Thompson
Mike wernsing
Will Knight
Joey gutierrez
Ed Erwin
Sid Shaddock
Douglas Muxworthy
Ivan Santiago
Regina Jaquysh
Chad Finch
Mark Shim
David XXXX
Everett Fox
Bob Lindner
Steven Michaelis
Grant Wood

Just as an FYI there is a bank on the square in Galeana with ATMs. Works
fine, but as with anything in a location like this don't count on it as your primary
source of cash. If you do, that will be the time you arrive there and find it
broken or out of cash.

But if anyone needs more cash while you are there, it is certainly an option.

You can exchange along the border in Mission, maybe 2 miles from the hotel at the next crossing east there are lots of exchange banks on the main road byt they close around 8 pm.

Take $250 cash USD and you'll be covered for gas, food, hotel, beer, gifts, fees, etc You can cash USD for pesos anywhere...bank, restaurant, hotel clerk, policeman, farmer, Pemex attendant... You may not get prime rate, but within 5%.

The ATM in Galeana charges about 5% transaction fee IIRC.

Peter, et al....
I'm sure I'll regret this, but I don't think I'll be ready to head on out this time around.
So scratch me off the list.
I'll catch everyone on the next go round.

Y'all....
be sure to try some of that local tequila.
That's some crazy good sippin' stuff!

Weather down here is great. Not a soul at Aduana this morning.

FYI Trail Boss had a brief delay with his registration, make sure yours has make+model listed with VIN. His was an H-E-B version with only VIN, official caused a brief fuss.

Holy cow. I just looked at the Galeana forecast for next week: perfect weather until the day the big group goes down. Thursday has 70% rain. And 41° Friday morning. Brrrrr

FYI Trail Boss had a brief delay with his registration.

U cross in anzalduas ? I was at da progreso bridge this mornin, weather was great too, and also had a brief delay with my registration paper which has a lienholder on it, so mex customs requires ur lender's letter of permission until..............................
da customs agent gets his bribe, da requirement magically disappears so im relieved of sending 5 forms to my lender askin for ( upfront mex ins coverage, current id, written request, updated U.S. contact, mexican address n phone, n mode of transportation info, etc. ) be sent to them via scan n email or fax, then wait til my request goes thru 3 depts n all info verified so maybe it might b approved before next thursday, no guarantees thou. All that ...or...$20 bribe for da customs lunch taco charity collection.

I personally don't recommend viewing bribes as standard viable tools, mainly because it reinforces the bribe culture and fuels the expection of gringos following in the future. Better to know the rules and follow them.

FYI Trail Boss had a brief delay with his registration, make sure yours has make+model listed with VIN. His was an H-E-B version with only VIN, official caused a brief fuss.

You guys went super early ! Have fun guys. Please update often; living thru you:rider:

U cross in anzalduas ? I was at da progreso bridge this mornin, weather was great too, and also had a brief delay with my registration paper which has a lienholder on it, so mex customs requires ur lender's letter of permission until..............................
da customs agent gets his bribe, da requirement magically disappears so im relieved of sending 5 forms to my lender askin for ( upfront mex ins coverage, current id, written request, updated U.S. contact, mexican address n phone, n mode of transportation info, etc. ) be sent to them via scan n email or fax, then wait til my request goes thru 3 depts n all info verified so maybe it might b approved before next thursday, no guarantees thou. All that ...or...$20 bribe for da customs lunch taco charity collection.

So your taking your new ride? Are you using dual sport or knockie tires? Martin and I completed permits this morning at Anzalduas. Looking forward to seeing you.

You guys went super early ! Have fun guys. Please update often; living thru you:rider:

In Miquijuana with a stuck open throttle cable on Trail Boss' moto.

Will take the tank off after dinner and see what we have. If we can't fix it, the next call is to MexAdventure insurance to see about hauling the bike back to the border. This is why one buys Mexico insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back