• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 F700GS

morfic

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
I have my 2017 F700GS a month now (~840 miles) and since the break-in service came and went, I thought I share some experiences with the bike, mostly because I just love the bike, but also because I think I could write this so it'll be useful for people wondering about getting a F700GS later. (I just can't keep myself short it seems)

I drove it off the lot with 2 miles on it. (No, no test ride done because I was pretty sure it is “it”)
I read a lot about the vibrations people experience with the rider's hands going numb from Vibration, since I got to take it home over I10 to 410 I got some good RPMs going and WOW did the handle bar vibrate my hands numb quick.
Was everything I read actually the norm and not the exception?
It didn't stop me, BMW suggests twisty roads for break in so the next day being a Sunday, I took it out to the Hill Country and enjoyed the **** out of that ride, was also surprised by how well the mesh jacket worked (glad I got that suggestion from TWT members).
My hands were numb again, it didn't deter me, I'd get used to it as it's just such a great bike to ride.
During the week I drove it to work and back every day but couldn't wait for next Sunday, back to Hill Country, having a good time, got a lot of waves back, felt great, who cares about numb hands?
During the week just the commuter experience but it dawned on me nothing is getting numb.
I couldn't quite tell since when the vibrations in handle bar were gone, thought maybe it's just because I drove lower gears and lower RPMs on city streets, figured probably a misobservation.
Figured the next Sunday would tell, but while Harvey missed us, I stayed grounded because I was I'll equipped for anything but blistering heat.
More city driving during week and I was certain it's just smoother and there is no vibration.
Actually it's just quieter overall, so quiet I hear myself clunk gears in, or am I? Drove myself nuts as that made me think about shifting, when it's actually just automated motions, terrible, this just can't be, did everything to ensure clutch would fully separate, read up about preloading, don't have the balls to go clutchless.
Noticed it's smooth shifting when I shifted still in friction zone…that doesn't make sense, never had to do that….odd, kept aiming at friction zone and yeah shifts nice there, so let's keep doing that.
Trips to Cycle Gear gave me a chance to experience higher gears and RPMs and yes, it's not shaking my hands numb.
Following Saturday I drove to Alamo BMW to get alarm installed and break-in service done, what a fun bike, so smooth, actually so much quieter, what's that noise I'm hearing? Oh the bike is so quiet I can hear my Anakee III? Wow that bike is quiet.
After service back home over I10, no extra trips because people sucked the city dry, no gas for fun activities.
Shifts easier and is quieter since service? Maybe, buy I'm likely biased because that's what I read a lot of people say happened after service.
No gas? What to do on Sunday then?
Put on SW-Motech Skidplate! (Only one I saw came with mounting hardware for 2017 and didn't suggest to use the OEM Skidplate hardware...which I don't have)
Put on Puig engine guards! (Listed as supporting 2017 F700GS and looked good)
Not ready for a Givi Aeroflow I decided to try the MRA X-CREEN Sport with clip on mount, mounted it and got it ready for not keeping air from me in city because I like the air at 90+F weather.
Tuesday after labor day I finally drove it again knowing I'll need every drop of gas in this dry town.
What I noticed was that there was a different feel and sound about the bike, I expected to possibly need sound deadening material for skid plate, based on some complaints I read online. I found I heard my engine less or different, in a good way, everything came across more exact, nothing louder or annoying and yes I heard the Anakee III at lower speeds too. Too cool I'm having my cake and get to eat it too? I'll take it.

Where I had put the X-CREEN the airflow was certainly affected. On another trip to Cycle Gear, I experimented with higher and higher positions to find a high speed setting and absolutely didn't keep airflow from hitting my face dead center. It's like the air now just goes between X-CREEN and stock windscreen allowing air to flow as it always does. So decided to move it lower to break that up and cause a different flow. Air keeps sneaking between both screens.
So I looked how I can ensure I deflect the still occurring main flow over the OEM windscreen and it looks like I can by going behind the OEM screen with the X-CREEN, that worked best of all attempts, need a longer ride in that configuration to be sure if it stays put, reversing it isn't in the design as it gets wider than the OEM screen allows. (For reference I'm 6'2" and air stream hits me just about at the eyes, I feel great on the bike, not cramped, but the OEM screen wasn't meant for me)

What happens when the bike gets quieter and quieter? You find it needs something changing that exhaust, none truly affect power in a huge way, so do we want to drop $750? No, we want one that doesn't promise performance, just a nicer tone.
Delkevic does have well received F800GS slip ons, not listed for F700GS…luckily a F800Riders member knew how to give me the certainty I sought, a way to compare OEM numbers of exhausts realoem.com gives a pedant like my the undeniable facts needed to place that order.
Since Delkevic hadn't replied yet about my question about which size and shape gives an non obnoxious sound I pounced on the 18” Oval, figuring the smaller it gets the louder it would be.
Oval vs Tri-Oval vs round I did based on looks. (The day I received the exhaust I also got a reply from Delkevic confirming my size guess. And they let me know that the shape is decorative as they're all the same size internally independent of shape, when I told her I already ordered and that they likely could sell more if they listed it as fitting the F700GS, she said they would but are waiting on a spacer to add to the kit.
Honestly I have no idea what they could add, as it fits perfect.)
I put it on kind of late so didn't truly get to hear it until the next day.
And it's perfect for my taste, reminds me a lot of my old thumper now.
Won't drive me nuts on longer rides, can barely hear it when cruising, only when accelerating, best $215 I could have spent on an exhaust.
No remapping needed.

The bike only needs one more thing before it's done (bet you never heard that before “just one more thing”)
A Corbin seat or Sargent maybe, thing is I love my gray seat on my bike so I won't pounce unless I get a gray comfort seat.
Stock bench I have a one hour *** on, that's unfortunately something that doesn't seem to fix itself.
Comfort seats at least will be “it” if the Airhawk Dual Sport cushion doesn't work out for me.

7a4616fbbb4d2cc329e1602923666bcd.jpg

To be clear, I am sitting on an internal combustion engine, everyone can feel that and there are vibrations telling you that, but they do not shake your handle bar to numb your hands. And that changed between driving it off the lot and break-in.
Current gas situation also shows you'll feel poor gas quality, I know I do.
The vibrations are very “tight”, “directed” or “behaved” if I had to try putting a label to the vibrations that are there.

Hope this ends up useful for someone, if not, it's still a great love letter to my bike.

Daniel

Couple a small blips with Stock Exhaust: https://youtu.be/s6b4g7np97M

And Delkevic Exhaust: https://youtu.be/2hSXbu8EvI0

I think they were enough to demo the change, all depends on what device you listen to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have my 2017 F700GS a month now (~840 miles) and since the break-in service came and went, I thought I share some experiences with the bike, mostly because I just love the bike, but also because I think I could write this so it'll be useful for people wondering about getting a F700GS later. (I just can't keep myself short it seems)

I drove it off the lot with 2 miles on it. (No, no test ride done because I was pretty sure it is “it”)
I read a lot about the vibrations people experience with the rider's hands going numb from Vibration, since I got to take it home over I10 to 410 I got some good RPMs going and WOW did the handle bar vibrate my hands numb quick.
Was everything I read actually the norm and not the exception?
It didn't stop me, BMW suggests twisty roads for break in so the next day being a Sunday, I took it out to the Hill Country and enjoyed the **** out of that ride, was also surprised by how well the mesh jacket worked (glad I got that suggestion from TWT members).
My hands were numb again, it didn't deter me, I'd get used to it as it's just such a great bike to ride.
During the week I drove it to work and back every day but couldn't wait for next Sunday, back to Hill Country, having a good time, got a lot of waves back, felt great, who cares about numb hands?
During the week just the commuter experience but it dawned on me nothing is getting numb.
I couldn't quite tell since when the vibrations in handle bar were gone, thought maybe it's just because I drove lower gears and lower RPMs on city streets, figured probably a misobservation.
Figured the next Sunday would tell, but while Harvey missed us, I stayed grounded because I was I'll equipped for anything but blistering heat.
More city driving during week and I was certain it's just smoother and there is no vibration.
Actually it's just quieter overall, so quiet I hear myself clunk gears in, or am I? Drove myself nuts as that made me think about shifting, when it's actually just automated motions, terrible, this just can't be, did everything to ensure clutch would fully separate, read up about preloading, don't have the balls to go clutchless.
Noticed it's smooth shifting when I shifted still in friction zone…that doesn't make sense, never had to do that….odd, kept aiming at friction zone and yeah shifts nice there, so let's keep doing that.
Trips to Cycle Gear gave me a chance to experience higher gears and RPMs and yes, it's not shaking my hands numb.
Following Saturday I drove to Alamo BMW to get alarm installed and break-in service done, what a fun bike, so smooth, actually so much quieter, what's that noise I'm hearing? Oh the bike is so quiet I can hear my Anakee III? Wow that bike is quiet.
After service back home over I10, no extra trips because people sucked the city dry, no gas for fun activities.
Shifts easier and is quieter since service? Maybe, buy I'm likely biased because that's what I read a lot of people say happened after service.
No gas? What to do on Sunday then?
Put on SW-Motech Skidplate! (Only one I saw came with mounting hardware for 2017 and didn't suggest to use the OEM Skidplate hardware...which I don't have)
Put on Puig engine guards! (Listed as supporting 2017 F700GS and looked good)
Not ready for a Givi Aeroflow I decided to try the MRA X-CREEN Sport with clip on mount, mounted it and got it ready for not keeping air from me in city because I like the air at 90+F weather.
Tuesday after labor day I finally drove it again knowing I'll need every drop of gas in this dry town.
What I noticed was that there was a different feel and sound about the bike, I expected to possibly need sound deadening material for skid plate, based on some complaints I read online. I found I heard my engine less or different, in a good way, everything came across more exact, nothing louder or annoying and yes I heard the Anakee III at lower speeds too. Too cool I'm having my cake and get to eat it too? I'll take it.

Where I had put the X-CREEN the airflow was certainly affected. On another trip to Cycle Gear, I experimented with higher and higher positions to find a high speed setting and absolutely didn't keep airflow from hitting my face dead center. It's like the air now just goes between X-CREEN and stock windscreen allowing air to flow as it always does. So decided to move it lower to break that up and cause a different flow. Air keeps sneaking between both screens.
So I looked how I can ensure I deflect the still occurring main flow over the OEM windscreen and it looks like I can by going behind the OEM screen with the X-CREEN, that worked best of all attempts, need a longer ride in that configuration to be sure if it stays put, reversing it isn't in the design as it gets wider than the OEM screen allows. (For reference I'm 6'2" and air stream hits me just about at the eyes, I feel great on the bike, not cramped, but the OEM screen wasn't meant for me)

What happens when the bike gets quieter and quieter? You find it needs something changing that exhaust, none truly affect power in a huge way, so do we want to drop $750? No, we want one that doesn't promise performance, just a nicer tone.
Delkevic does have well received F800GS slip ons, not listed for F700GS…luckily a F800Riders member knew how to give me the certainty I sought, a way to compare OEM numbers of exhausts realoem.com gives a pedant like my the undeniable facts needed to place that order.
Since Delkevic hadn't replied yet about my question about which size and shape gives an non obnoxious sound I pounced on the 18” Oval, figuring the smaller it gets the louder it would be.
Oval vs Tri-Oval vs round I did based on looks. (The day I received the exhaust I also got a reply from Delkevic confirming my size guess. And they let me know that the shape is decorative as they're all the same size internally independent of shape, when I told her I already ordered and that they likely could sell more if they listed it as fitting the F700GS, she said they would but are waiting on a spacer to add to the kit.
Honestly I have no idea what they could add, as it fits perfect.)
I put it on kind of late so didn't truly get to hear it until the next day.
And it's perfect for my taste, reminds me a lot of my old thumper now.
Won't drive me nuts on longer rides, can barely hear it when cruising, only when accelerating, best $215 I could have spent on an exhaust.
No remapping needed.

The bike only needs one more thing before it's done (bet you never heard that before “just one more thing”)
A Corbin seat or Sargent maybe, thing is I love my gray seat on my bike so I won't pounce unless I get a gray comfort seat.
Stock bench I have a one hour *** on, that's unfortunately something that doesn't seem to fix itself.
Comfort seats at least will be “it” if the Airhawk Dual Sport cushion doesn't work out for me.

7a4616fbbb4d2cc329e1602923666bcd.jpg

To be clear, I am sitting on an internal combustion engine, everyone can feel that and there are vibrations telling you that, but they do not shake your handle bar to numb your hands. And that changed between driving it off the lot and break-in.
Current gas situation also shows you'll feel poor gas quality, I know I do.
The vibrations are very “tight”, “directed” or “behaved” if I had to try putting a label to the vibrations that are there.

Hope this ends up useful for someone, if not, it's still a great love letter to my bike.

Daniel

Maby another meet and greet next Tuesday or wed ?

I don't think I'd seen a picture before. White Beemers just look great.

Nah, you must have seen it in its birthday suit, on the neverending intro thread? 'memba?

Update on the Delkevic exhaust, when Janielle from Delkevic replied to my size/shape inquiry and I told them that the rubber insert doesn't seem to match the bracket it goes into, her very next reply was that since they recently changed bracket style I probably got one style strip and one style bracket and she'd send out a correct set right away.
I was able to shave the other with a razor blade and made it fit, which I shared with her.

Today I got my new mounting bracket and rubber strip in the mail.

That's great service if you ask me, so I bought a great exhaust at a budget but get service like I spent big bucks?
Awesome!

Last edited:
~1000 miles with the Delkevic exhaust and I got curious if it did more than just change my sound.
I read a lot about vibrations I don't seem to feel.
So this Sunday I did a quick swap back to the stock exhaust.
The mechanical engine noise seemed different actually "tighter" or "quieter" would come to mind, I drove to work Monday and it was a different ride, but if exhaust had any effect on fueling I'd have to give the motronic some time to adapt.
On my way home I was sure it was vibrating a lot more but hey, commute isn't long so no need to conclude anything.
Tuesday on way to work, vibrations increase.
Tuesday on way home from work I realize I have to cut the test short, I just can't stand giving up what I had gotten used to over the past ~1000miles.
It's not just the vibrations, it's the going slow behind people in traffic, I can stay a gear higher where with stock exhaust I'd have to shift down to avoid that rattling your bike does to let you know if you don't shift soon it considers lugging.
So Tuesday I let the bike cool down over dinner and did a swap back to the Delkevic can and I'm happy to report it's back to its "normal self" (what I call normal now)

So something I spent a little money on, solely for a more attractive sound, has a very beneficial side effect of letting me ride with fewer vibrations?
I'll take it.

I have a f800, wonder if it would have the same effect. Mine is buzzy but my other bike is a 1000 vstrom so I am used to it. I was reading today about risers that have rubber o rings to reduce vibe. Might try that out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Might very well be the same, it's after all a pretty similar 800 in our bikes.

Russell for the seat problem is the way to go. Or a cheaper route might be the Seat Concepts cover. Your right a hour or so on the stock is enough.:giveup:

Russell for the seat problem is the way to go. Or a cheaper route might be the Seat Concepts cover. Your right a hour or so on the stock is enough.:giveup:

I had a pretty interesting thread in parallel twins section of ADV and it pushed the BMW Comfort Seat pretty much to the front.

RDL I think looks too funky. :)
Seat Concepts was my front runner for quite a while though.

I admit, trying to preserve the stock look I might only achieve with the BMW seat due to color.

It looks like mine came with the comfort seat. I have had no issues. Spent 4+ hours at a time on it.

It looks like mine came with the comfort seat. I have had no issues. Spent 4+ hours at a time on it.

I wish I had opted for that at time of purchase, but foolishly I thought it looks so much better than my old bikes's seat, standard will be fine.

I had a pretty interesting thread in parallel twins section of ADV and it pushed the BMW Comfort Seat pretty much to the front.

RDL I think looks too funky. :)
Seat Concepts was my front runner for quite a while though.

I admit, trying to preserve the stock look I might only achieve with the BMW seat due to color.

If you go for the seat concepts cover let me know what you think about it. I bought a factory seat cheap that I want to put one on but want to know how they are before spending the money.

If you go for the seat concepts cover let me know what you think about it. I bought a factory seat cheap that I want to put one on but want to know how they are before spending the money.

I won't get the cover, I'd get the full seat from SC.
I have yet to ruin a stock part (although I keep changing, modifying or adding stuff), I wouldn't start on the seat :)

I won't get the cover, I'd get the full seat from SC.
I have yet to ruin a stock part (although I keep changing, modifying or adding stuff), I wouldn't start on the seat :)

I have one that already has a little damage so that is why I was wondering. I bought it used and abused already.:trust:

The Russell is great but not on the trails and I have the broken foot (now healed) to prove it.

I have one that already has a little damage so that is why I was wondering. I bought it used and abused already.:trust:

The Russell is great but not on the trails and I have the broken foot (now healed) to prove it.

The butt test should be the same wether their pan or ours, so should I go SC I'll let you know/try when we meet (you being the organizer it's just a matter of time. Closing on house tomorrow I should soon get my weekends back)

The butt test should be the same wether their pan or ours, so should I go SC I'll let you know/try when we meet (you being the organizer it's just a matter of time. Closing on house tomorrow I should soon get my weekends back)

And you can try the Russell but(pun intended) it might take a crowbar to get you off of it,they are so comfortable.:lol2:

And you can try the Russell but(pun intended) it might take a crowbar to get you off of it,they are so comfortable.:lol2:

Didn't get the SC, bought a used BMW Comfort seat and am very happy with that choice.

Didn't get the SC, bought a used BMW Comfort seat and am very happy with that choice.

Hope that it gives you the comfort you are looking for. Give us a update once you ridden with it a few thousand miles.:rider:

I bought my wife an F700GS last and really like it. She loves it. Only question as I not rich enough for the experiment. The new 750 and current 700 both run BMSN computers, has any tried to install 750 cruise control on a 2017 or newer F700GS?

I bought my wife an F700GS last and really like it. She loves it. Only question as I not rich enough for the experiment. The new 750 and current 700 both run BMSN computers, has any tried to install 750 cruise control on a 2017 or newer F700GS?

Would require the kind of knowledge about the ECU hackery I don't have.
If you look at the Motoscan Android app, you see all kinds of options that don't apply to the F700GS, how you can unlock them I don't know, while you can change coding with the app, I have not found a way to add something the bike didn't come with, I have been able to turn off Enduro (stock it comes only with Road and Rain), so the coding does work.
But the cruise control is likely software absent from our firmware all together. I don't think even an updated F700GS firmware would have that added just disabled.

I am still contemplating to get the GS911 as the app still has unlabeled options, if there is a "write enable" needed to ADD features I might not even see it because of unlabeled options.

Main thing on GS911 is also it can show and reset adaptation values, the app can't at the moment and author doesn't know when which model gets it, just says some can do it now.

Why do I even talk about coding? Advrider user was given the Enduro Pro Plug with his F700GS, and after googling found it seems to be just a jumper, but so far, a plain wire jumper keeps the F700GS a 3 mode bike, which is what all press material said, 4th mode only for F800GS.

I know about the Pro Plug and my wife’s came with it. Unfortunately on the 700, it does nothing. I will probably connect it to ISTA P before I move to Texas. If it is a retrofit, it will be ther.

Today marks my bike's 1 year Anniversary, and although we missed more weekend opportunities then we made, still rode 8148 miles together.

It even allowed me to tinker and do things to it for sake of doing it and I can say while there were no real complaints about the bike then, there are even less now.

Hoping that year two is even more fun than year one was.

I came to the realization I can choose family over the bike on weekends because I even enjoy the daily commute anyway, yeah even right now in the temps we had (have?) I enjoyed my commute.

If you are looking for a bike, after 20 years of not riding: 10/10, can recommend the F700GS

ee07775141cdb731ae64d4a0ebe53db3.jpg

Went through many iterations, that's how it looked this morning.

Back