• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 Honda CRF250L Rally vs 2019 Yamaha XT250?

MasMak

Reaction score
Honda has 2800 miles, and Yamaha has 1200 miles. Which one would you buy? They are $400 difference in price

I've owned both. Many factors are equivalent. Mileage is low on both of those bikes, the 2019 is an EFI year for the xt250 (like the CRF), durability also great, both are well supported by aftermarket, and stock suspension is not impressive.

Where you get into significant differences is in the size of the bike. The Honda is significantly taller. What is the size of the rider, and what type of riding are we talking about?

CRF has 6 gears; XT has 5. That can make a bit of difference. XT is naked, so lots of smooth, clean air; CRF airflow is less on the rider's body but can be a little turbulent in my experience. I'm 6'2" with about 33" inseam.

Which would i buy? Both! šŸ˜Ž I have a crf300 Rally that I'm very happy with. But i also miss my old XT that I'd rather use for trolling the neighborhood and miscellaneous rides. I rode the XT to the Canadian border, though, so it's happy doing long trips just the same.

On the XT, you can fit the full size front fender from an XT225 if the two half fenders arenā€™t your thing. If urban duties sitting at lights etc, Iā€™d go with the Honda because itā€™s water cooled. The XT is air cooled and simple. Valve checks are easy and just the lock nut for adjustment. Donā€™t know about the Honda. Both are FI. Decent aftermarket on the Yami, but Honda might be better. XT I think has a little more ground clearance, but it can be cramped for taller riders. Suspension on the XT is built to a price point. 6ā€™1ā€, 210 lbs and I chose the XT. It was lighter than the CRF and KLX I was considering and I was after the relative simplicity of the air cooled motor. I mainly use it on gravel roads and rarely go over 50mph. If the OP is looking for more hard top or Hwy running, Iā€™d go with the Honda

6ā€™ 31ā€ inseem at 225 lbs. plan do most riding in neighborhood, adventure park in marbles falls, some dirt bike riding at the deer lease, and occasionally riding roads up in the Wimberley/Dripping Springs area. I like the idea of less weight of XT, but Hondaā€˜s I had growing up seemed indestructible. Worried about Honda being a bit more street oriented.

> adventure park in marbles falls
Neither of those will be excellent at Hidden Falls, but the Honda will be better, I would think. I've never ridden either, but I've ridden with folks on both. The XT on river road in Big Bend really struggled.

The Honda I think has more power than the XT. The chosen tire is going to have an effect as well. Iā€™ve got the popular Pirelli/Dunlop combo, which is just about a full on knobbie with the DOT stamp. Terrible squirrely on the street but great in the dirt. The Honda would do just as good or better probably in the dirt if you ditch the 50/50 tires they come with.

@MasMak have you ridden both? At 6', you may feel cramped on the XT. I'm a tad taller than you, and felt very comfortable on the XT, even if I looked too big on it. It inspires confidence. The CRF is taller and a better fit for taller riders.

For romping around Hidden Falls, I'd prefer the XT because it's lighter and has less plastic. It's a durable brick, just like Honda's reputation.

At your weight. no matter which I think you should budget for springs at least for even mild dirt trails and possibly the road. Grabbing the front brake for a sudden need is going to collapse the forks. Not good. With appropriate susp mods I think its a tossup.

Back