• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
1- As Mzungu said. No need to work on Carb for altitude change. We won't be racing up there.
2- Cruising speed bet. Border to Galeana will be based on the slowest bike. We arrive as group, no one is left behind.
3- if your bike is not race-prepepped with bored out motor or other modification, it should have no problem. Peter, the organizer of this ride rides CR150f.

QUOTE=Baja_Bound;1523432]I am hoping to make this trip and have a few questions that someone may be able to answer:

1) My 2009 Yamaha XT250 has a stock carburetor and does well around home (San Antonio, 1200 feet above sea level). Does anyone feel I will need to change my jetting for the higher altitude of Galaena / Sierra Madre Oriental mountain range?

2) I am dirt rider / racer and don't have a lot of experience on the road. I am concerned about the XT250 and the higher speeds on the road between the Mexican border and Galaena. The bike seems to do alright at 50-60mph, but that will probably be its limit loaded with gear. Are there other travelers that keep it on the slow side when traveling on the highway?

3) I am new to dual sporting and traveling with panniers / gear bags. Once you are settled into a hotel at Galaena, do the panniers / gear bags typically come off and remain behind at the hotel? Do you take with you just what is needed on the daily trail excursions (in a smaller bag / backpack / tail bag)?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.[/QUOTE]

Folks....
w/ regret.....
I have to CANCEL this epic ride.
My son invited us to attend UT's Parents Weekend , Oct 27-29 .
He's now a Sr., so we're thrilled to take part in this event during his last yr as a Longhorn.

After all these years of riding I happened to have my first two rib related injuries within the last 12 months. Pretty debilitating afterwards (even months later in one case). Ribs seem to be one of the harder areas to protect but I have a renewed focus in that area now.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful feedback and encouragement so far related to the gear question post. I got a hard armor with rib protection Leatt 5.5 Body Protector awhile back.

I generally wear ADV gear or soft armor on the street or gravel, and hard armor on rocks - I'm hearing rocks.

Even though it's warm and not the easiest thing to deal with when getting lunch at a restaurant and the like, it's pretty protective -- based on all the feedback, think I'll bring it.

On the boot question - looking at photos or previous years' Galeana trips, I see a lot of ADV boots. I LOVE my Sidi ADV boots. I also have Sidi motocross boots - more protection, harder to walk around in.

Thoughts on boot trade-offs on dirt bikes for this trip?

Last edited:
1- As Mzungu said. No need to work on Carb for altitude change. We won't be racing up there.
2- Cruising speed bet. Border to Galeana will be based on the slowest bike. We arrive as group, no one is left behind.
3- if your bike is not race-prepepped with bored out motor or other modification, it should have no problem. Peter, the organizer of this ride rides CR150f.

Excellent. Especially the no one is left behind part. My wife (who is not going) was very happy to hear that!

I will lead a group Thursday morning to Santiago, through Laguna de Sanchez and Rayones then on to Galeana. This route will be at least 220 miles. If we encounter rain in the mountains, we will probably detour around the higher elevations adding as much as 30 miles to the route.

This group will be limited to about eight riders.

We will be following Trail Boss’ Gold Standard route south of Laguna de Sanchez. This is mostly Class 2, but there are some short Class 3 sections. I do not recommend this route for any bike larger than a 690/701.

The Pemex station in Rayones was closed the first weekend of September. As we do not know if gas will be available there, your bike would need at least 130 mile fuel range.

All riders in this group will be expected to wear protective gear. Minimum gear consists of off-road boots, knee, elbow, shoulder and back pads and of course, helmet. Also all bikes should be equipped with a toolset including a socket to fit your sparkplug, spare sparkplug, sockets or wrenches to remove front and rear wheels, tire tools, and spare tubes. All bikes should be capable and riders comfortable cruising an honest 65mph.

Send me a pm if you are interested in joining this group. I will be traveling most of the next 2 weeks, so don’t get frustrated if you don’t get a quick response.

JT
"The Pied-piper of adventure riding." per Trail Boss

Last edited:
I will lead a group Thursday morning to Santiago, through Laguna de Sanchez and Rayones then on to Galeana. This route will be at least 220 miles. If we encounter rain in the mountains, we will probably detour around the higher elevations adding as much as 30 miles to the route.

This group will be limited to about eight riders.

We will be following Trail Boss’ Gold Standard route south of Laguna de Sanchez. This is mostly Class 2, but there are some short Class 3 sections. I do not recommend this route for any bike larger than a 690/701.

The Pemex station in Rayones was closed the first weekend of September. As we do not know if gas will be available there, your bike would need at least 130 mile fuel range.

All riders in this group will be expected to wear protective gear. Minimum gear consists of off-road boots, knee, elbow, shoulder and back pads and of course, helmet. Also all bikes should be equipped with a toolset including a socket to fit your sparkplug, spare sparkplug, sockets or wrenches to remove front and rear wheels, tire tools, and spare tubes. All bikes should be capable and riders comfortable cruising an honest 65mph.

Send me a pm if you are interested in joining this group. I will be traveling most of the next 2 weeks, so don’t get frustrated if you don’t get a quick response.

JT
"The Pied-piper of adventure riding." per Trail Boss

Thursday 26th beginning in Mission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone on the planet who has the chance to ride Mexico with John Thompson better take it. He, Richard Gibbens and Milton Otto, define Mexico exploration.

I rode with John to the Mexico side of the Rio Grande overlooking Big Bend National Park. Terlingua to Presidio/Ojinaga crossing, back through Manuel Benevides through the desert to the bluff 1500 feet up overlooking Texas. It was my last ride with my beloved buddy Chuck Blair before he died, soon after. Life defining. Thank you JT.

Heed JT's warnings about tools/gear/prep. Great advice! If you sign up with JT for this ride, don't be a tool and ignore his words on preparation.

In the photo below, that's me on the left, and the late Chuck Blair on the right (this is a different ride than the Rio Grande ride described above)

John, Milton, Richard, Chuck, and a few others are my Mexico legends/heroes. Any No0b who wants to follow in their footsteps better tighten the strings on his sack and be prepared.
FP16-248.jpg

Last edited:
JT is the man, did the Jalpan run and the over look with him along with some other places.

Tumbleweed and I will be leaving out of Mission early 21st, Is anyone else planning to head south early?

JT is the man, did the Jalpan run and the over look with him along with some other places.

Tumbleweed and I will be leaving out of Mission early 21st, Is anyone else planning to head south early?

I'll meet up with you guys somewhere around there 21st or 22nd. I found FOUR, yes 4 places, that do a Cabrito Especial on the S. side of Monterrey. I just may go and try each one :sun:
I'm not riding with JT......I'm still healing from the last one :nono:

Trust Tricepilot's advice and follow JT's advice.....

Anyone on the planet who has the chance to ride Mexico with John Thompson better take it. He, Richard Gibbens and Milton Otto, define Mexico exploration.

I rode with John to the Mexico side of the Rio Grande overlooking Big Bend National Park. Terlingua to Presidio/Ojinaga crossing, back through Manuel Benevides through the desert to the bluff 1500 feet up overlooking Texas. It was my last ride with my beloved buddy Chuck Blair before he died, soon after. Life defining. Thank you JT.

Heed JT's warnings about tools/gear/prep. Great advice! If you sign up with JT for this ride, don't be a tool and ignore his words on preparation.

In the photo below, that's me on the left, and the late Chuck Blair on the right (this is a different ride than the Rio Grande ride described above)

John, Milton, Richard, Chuck, and a few others are my Mexico legends/heroes. Any No0b who wants to follow in their footsteps better tighten the strings on his sack and be prepared.
FP16-248.jpg
yup, you better be ready if you are following jt

So I go to the Banjercito site to get the temporary vehicle import application.

It says to go to an electronic pre-authorization site where I entered my name and passport info.

And the result is: "You are not able to obtain an electronic pre-authorization. In the case that you require to file a temporal vehicle import permit, you shall file it directly in the Mexican border port office by the time you arrive to Mexico."

What is up with this?

So I go to the Banjercito site to get the temporary vehicle import application.

It says to go to an electronic pre-authorization site where I entered my name and passport info.

And the result is: "You are not able to obtain an electronic pre-authorization. In the case that you require to file a temporal vehicle import permit, you shall file it directly in the Mexican border port office by the time you arrive to Mexico."

What is up with this?

Don't worry about it unless you've previously held a TVIP that you didn't cancel

Don't bother with pre authorizations

Just show up with an original state registration as well as an original bike title. You won't need both but anymore I bring both as an insurance policy against a fussy official.

I like it...my type of ride.

Don't worry about it unless you've previously held a TVIP that you didn't cancel

Don't bother with pre authorizations

Just show up with an original state registration as well as an original bike title. You won't need both but anymore I bring both as an insurance policy against a fussy official.

On the tvip subject, how picky are they regarding the name on the title? My legal name is Richard but it is Rick on the title. Address is the same on title as ID. Do I need to change my title? If I do it will be taxed like buying it all over again.

On the tvip subject, how picky are they regarding the name on the title? My legal name is Richard but it is Rick on the title. Address is the same on title as ID. Do I need to change my title? If I do it will be taxed like buying it all over again.

The honest answer is that you **should** be fine, unless you get a super fussy official. I've seen everything at the border, including people get rejected for the name thing. I've also seen other sail through.

The general advice is that the Three Keys to Mexico entry, your (1) Passport name, your (2) credit card name, and your (3) title or registration name all should match exactly.

It doesn't make sense to me that merely correcting a title name would trigger a tax event. Here's what I found online:

Texas Vehicle Title/Registration Name Change

After a legal name change, you'll also need to change your name on your Texas DMV vehicle records. When you change your name on your certificate of title, your vehicle registration records will also be updated.
You do not need to purchase new registration documents.
To change your name on your vehicle title, visit your local county tax assessor-collector.
in person and bring:
A completed Application for Texas Title (Form 130-U) with your new name.
A letter that includes:
Your vehicle information.
The reason for your name change.
Your legal name change document, such as your:
Marriage certificate.
Divorce decree.
Court order.
Your original vehicle title.
Payment for the title fee. Fees vary depending on your county. Contact your local Texas DMV office for exact fees.

So it appears you pay a title fee, but I can't find where you'll ante up for taxes.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make sure your name was the same on the three keys I mentioned above. I don't like heading to the border unsure about my adventure. Your call though.

i-Xxm5wWS.jpg

This has absolutely nothing to do with Mexico per se, but if you're in need of a new helmet for MexTrek (practice that excuse for the wife ;) :giveup:), I just got in my new Scorpion AT 950 (in hi viz yellow accents). Give the link a try below.

The reason to me that it's a great "Mexico Helmet" is that I like flip ups in Mexico for talking to soldiers at checkpoints, and at toll kiosks. This helmet is among the first dual sport design helmets with a modular flip front. The visor thing is removable. Ergo, it'll work well/look good on a KTM 500 or a 1200 GSA. You can also remove the face shield completely and use goggle if that's your thing.

I've been using my Schuberth modular on my KTM 500 but I did a fabulous face plant in it two weeks ago in Colorado so this Scorpion is what I replaced it with.

The best news on the Scorpion is that it's a $289 helmet with cool features.

Here's the Revzilla link

If you're going to pull the trigger on this helmet PM me, I have insights as to sizing.

Anyhoo, if you're going over your Mexico gear and and think you need a new helmet for the trip, take a look at the link.

Peter, if you stay longer for the day of the dead, do you plan to be back in Texas on Wednesday 1, or the next day?

Mark

Wednesday the 1st is the actual day of the dead, starting as the clock hits midnight on the night of the 31st. Probably it is possible to leave at 8 AM and make it back to Houston, but probably more realistic to plan to be back the 2nd. But, make it whatever trip you want. nothing is more than loosely organized.

Oklahoma, like Texas, should be held responsibly for making sure your title matches your ID at time of titling.

I am hoping to make this trip and have a few questions that someone may be able to answer:

1) My 2009 Yamaha XT250 has a stock carburetor and does well around home (San Antonio, 1200 feet above sea level). Does anyone feel I will need to change my jetting for the higher altitude of Galaena / Sierra Madre Oriental mountain range?

2) I am dirt rider / racer and don't have a lot of experience on the road. I am concerned about the XT250 and the higher speeds on the road between the Mexican border and Galaena. The bike seems to do alright at 50-60mph, but that will probably be its limit loaded with gear. Are there other travelers that keep it on the slow side when traveling on the highway?

3) I am new to dual sporting and traveling with panniers / gear bags. Once you are settled into a hotel at Galaena, do the panniers / gear bags typically come off and remain behind at the hotel? Do you take with you just what is needed on the daily trail excursions (in a smaller bag / backpack / tail bag)?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

1. Jetting isn't usually an issue, especially on a factory stock post 2000 model EPA restricted machine. Worst case, a quick drop of the carb needle will fix most altitude sickness, except for at full throttle. If you want to be super safe, just get one or two jet sizes smaller from Yamaha and throw them in your pack.

2. I ride a 230F. Published top speed is 47 MPH. Top speed of the 17" street version is 70MPH, which I geared mine to match. Same reviewer online ( www.topspeed.com ) lists your XT at 75 MPH. MCN rated actual GPS top speed as 75.9

I run 60 - 65 MPH the whole way in on the concrete. Once you exit concrete your speed is based on ability. My bike tops out at 82 MPH on GPS if I tuck and pin it for a while. I would think an XT250 would do a bit better.

Justine rode a KLX250S last year and had zero issues keeping up. Her published top speed is 80.

3. A small set of soft bags, strapped over the seat, should suffice for a 4 day trip. They get tossed in the hotel except for the ride in / out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back