• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can be of help in any way please let me know. I live about 10 miles from your meeting location in Mission (I live in McAllen). I'm not going on the trip but if anything is needed last minute while you are in my "backyard", I'm more than willing to help.

If you leave any vehicles behind at the hotel, I can check on them regularly.....If someone needs to leave a vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer somewhere besides the hotel my father-in-law said you could park them on the two acres next to his house which is about 7 miles (he lives in Mission) or so from your hotel......If you need last minutes parts, supplies, I can tell you where to pick them up or help you pick them up.......If you need a contact person here on this side of the border for emergencies, etc...I can give you my phone numbers....

I will help any way possible. I've lived here all my life and welcome you to the Rio Grande Valley. Have fun....be safe...

I went to my local bank yesterday at 10 am and asked if they could do foreign currency? They said sure. I said I need 5000 pesos I paid 10 dollar fee and she called me at 10 this morning and said my money was in. So you can check with your local banks and do it before you go so we don't over run the stores and ATM machines. The 10 dollar fee was for the overnight shipping.

I have been trying to do the online TVIP form. It won't take my vin it says invalid vin. I triple checked the number on several documents. Anyone else have this issues.

I have been trying to do the online TVIP form. It won't take my vin it says invalid vin. I triple checked the number on several documents. Anyone else have this issues.

My friend David Shin had the same issue on his 2015 CRF250L. So, today we went to the consulate to get it done.
I asked them why, they didn’t know. They think that the issue is common with new bikes, but David’s bike is 2 years old.
So bottom line. No idea!!

Mine is a Honda crf250l too. I guess I'll just have to do it at the border. No consulate near me. I will be down early on Wen to try and get it done.

it's starting to sound like a CRF250L convention.

Mine is a Honda crf250l too. I guess I'll just have to do it at the border. No consulate near me. I will be down early on Wen to try and get it done.

I’m planning to arrive early as well. If we get to meet, and if you’ll need Spanish translation, i’ll come with you to the border and help you.

I've decided to return to the first trail that truly kicked my butt in Mexico... EL DIABLO (Page 58 in your ride guide). I don't think anyone has tried this route since the 2010 experience left us all with mild PTSD. Any brave souls want to give it a whirl? If your bike is too heavy for 4 guys to drag, best to opt out of this class 4 experience. But the scenery is amazing, the riding sublime.

And if 30 water crossings in 5 miles are not your cup of tea, but you want to take a nice ride, it can be run to Rancho Viejo and back and make for a great day of class 1/2 and riding the canyon thru Iturbide. And if the water is low it is probably not that bad of a class 3.

685282302_4rStD-L.jpg

685114165_v9LpQ-L.jpg

683253916_5eQYU-L.jpg

685141716_AXCBu-L.jpg

685158410_A2EVk-L.jpg

685191038_fGVQL-L.jpg

683252764_S2ozE-L.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah!!!
Let’s do it!

I've decided to return to the first trail that truly kicked my butt in Mexico... EL DIABLO (Page 58 in your ride guide). I don't think anyone has tried this route since the 2010 experience left us all with mild PTSD. Any brave souls want to give it a whirl? If your bike is too heavy for 4 guys to drag, best to opt out of this class 4 experience. But the scenery is amazing, the riding sublime.

And if 30 water crossings in 5 miles are not your cup of tea, but you want to take a nice ride, it can be run to Rancho Viejo and back and make for a great day of class 1/2 and riding the canyon thru Iturbide. And if the water is low it is probably not that bad of a class 3.

685282302_4rStD-L.jpg

685114165_v9LpQ-L.jpg

683253916_5eQYU-L.jpg

685141716_AXCBu-L.jpg

685158410_A2EVk-L.jpg

685191038_fGVQL-L.jpg

683252764_S2ozE-L.jpg

Ride looks amazing and HARD. Super tempting but I think I'm going to try and get one Mexico trip under my belt without incident before tempting fate.

One question, how often did you have to pull the plug(s) when the bikes were dropped in the water? I ask because pulling the plug on my old WRF and XRL was pretty easy. It's a much bigger pain on the 690.

In the photo above, left to right, is me, Richard, Peter (Shadman), and Wayland

That ties for the single toughest trail in Mexico I've done on a dirt bike. The other was more recent, the attempt to make it over the mountain from Aramberri to Zaragoza (the night Richard and Milton stayed as guests of the sheep rancher when Milton couldn't go on any more).

For the general public, a note:

What made the Unknown Ride, as the ride in the photo came to be known, is Shadman's (Peter) stepped up his game as the day went to sh- (I love the censors) -it, helping riders and scouting the general direction (plenty of times we knew not where we were). We had plenty of riders helping with all sorts of issues (Milton and Wayland had drowned bikes), but to the day I remember Peter and his positive attitude and get-it-done spirit.

For riders who think they will attempt this route with Shadman: be prepared with all of the tools and experience necessary to revive a drowned motorcycle. This is no joke on this route. As Peter said, there are approximately 30 water crossings. The one in the above photo places this route in the category of 3+. Start this route with the idea in mind of what would you do if you had a major bike problem late in the day and to bivvy out in the wild overnight, and bring the according stuff.

That was a ride you talk about for decades and tell your kids about. :sun:

Ride looks amazing and HARD. Super tempting but I think I'm going to try and get one Mexico trip under my belt without incident before tempting fate.

One question, how often did you have to pull the plug(s) when the bikes were dropped in the water? I ask because pulling the plug on my old WRF and XRL was pretty easy. It's a much bigger pain on the 690.

Waylan's bike drank a few quarts of water so it had to be drained. Milton's bike just got waterlogged above the plug due to a clogged weephole. So I've only seen one plug changed.

Shutting off the motor before it sucks something in is key. Know where your air intake is an keep it dry and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Anybody left a truck and small trailer at the airport before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Anybody left a truck and small trailer at the airport before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Stalefish and a few others have done this. Cheap and secure. They use the long term parking. There is also Oleander acres RV park just down the road from Anzalduas. They will set you up with storage parking. They also have rentals if you need a place to stay. Nice folks.

For those of us at clarion, any reason not to leave a vehicle there?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

As I believe many of us, including me, haven’t arranged for an I nsurance package yet, it would be easier if the other will post their choice.
I understand that each one has its own priorities/considerations, but it will give something to start the research from.

BTW, they told me in the consulate that auto insurance is required. Any idea what should be covered?

Last edited:
For those of us at clarion, any reason not to leave a vehicle there?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

They have a designated area we can park in, behind a fence, within eyesight of the office. The clarion is actually a really nice hotel in a quiet part of town. I'll check status tomorrow given the group size. Probably 20 or 30 vehicles isn't a problem. 60 might be.

As I believe many of us, including me, haven’t arranged for an I nsurance package yet, it would be easier if the other will post their choice.
I understand that each one has its own priorities/considerations, but it will give something to start the research from.

BTW, they told me in the consulate that auto insurance is required. Any idea what should be covered?
one good reason to ask ur ins agent to hook u up with mex ins is incase u need to use it they can guide u thru the whole process
And if its not a super expensive bike, just get liability for 500k, chances r if u crash it will b by yourself, for less hassles just bring the bike back to the states and make a claim here on ur U.S. ins tell them u crashed in U.S., most wont ask for a police report, too much of a hassle in mex to make a claim

What kind of tempature do you think we are in for this time of year. I don't want to take more gear than needed. I assume it's going to 60-90 range but not much weather info for that area that I can find.

Same issue here with my 2017 CRF250L Rally. Had to do it in person :giveup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back