• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy Paul N. had to drop out due to medical reasons.
I am leaving Wednesday and want to know if anyone wants to join me from Houston.
I have a trailer that can fit another bike on it and plenty of room.
Let me know if anyone is interested.

Also, I am looking for someone to share a room with. Would like to save a few bucks if possible.
My name is Sean Sykora.
Thanks

I was toying with the idea of heading down to San Miguel de Allende afterwards but don't want to commit yet. I'm a newb to Mexico so wanted to see how Galeana goes before adding days. Having a group going down would probably make the decision easy. I have the week off in case it works out.

Burt, if you decide to go to SMD, and have a few days to spare, I have a nice loop, paved, easy back highways for the most part, from Real, to San Miguel, Guanajuato, Jalpan De Serra, Ciudad Valles, Saltillo, hotels we stayed at, etc. Beautiful roads and scenery, small towns, etc. DM me if you’d like the track logs, or look me up on the trip. Im no Mexico expert so this is good entry-level trip.

Cheers.

When completing paperwork at the border, and paying the necessary fees ($400 for motorcycle, etc), is there any chance they will NOT take credit card and ONLY take cash?

Otherwise, should I show up at the border with enough US cash to cover all border expenses or am I safe to assume a credit card will be accepted?

Thanks!

When completing paperwork at the border, and paying the necessary fees ($400 for motorcycle, etc), is there any chance they will NOT take credit card and ONLY take cash?

Otherwise, should I show up at the border with enough US cash to cover all border expenses or am I safe to assume a credit card will be accepted?

Thanks!

Yes. I have given up trying to use my Wells Fargo account for permits. The Banjercito claims WF denies the charge attempt and WF claims they don't get any attempts at charges. This is after filing travel plans and contacting WF security office. Not worth the headaches, I just use cash.

The visa/tourist card will be free for 7 days or less, about $25 U.S. for the maximum of 180 days. The TVIP charges will be about $60 U.S. and will be issued for no longer than the visa.

JT

Last edited:
Did I miss the instructions to formally sign up for a Group for Thursday's ride down? My plan is to join one of the "B" groups.

I asked for riders to PM me if wanting to ride with my group so we could exchange contact info in advance. Not a requirement, just trying to get it done in advance.

Yes. I have given up trying to use my Wells Fargo account for permits. JT

Thanks for the info. I have informed my credit card company (Chase) of possible Mexico charges, but I worry my card's automatic theft protection says "nope, not until I speak with the card owner".

I will bring both card and cash as an experiment and see what happens. Purely for research...

Long story short. For this trip, I decided to purchase a travel policy from Ripcord. The operations unit has been very helpful in the initial setup of my InReach and confirming/responding to test messages. If you're still thinking about this type of policy, I've had a great experience working with Ripcord. Obviously, you'll need to read the details of the policy to confirm the coverage is appropriate for you.

The long version of this story, if you're interested, includes first hand knowledge of the limitations of one-way emergency satellite communication (Spot Messenger) and some harrowing medical evacuation experiences of co-workers. In other words, my thought process wasn't based entirely on internet stories. And so as to not offend anybody, let me be clear - I am not suggesting you're a fool if you don't have it and that Ripcord is the only good company. Just thought I would share my experience in case anybody is still thinking about travel insurance.

Ok, I just looked through 859 posts in this thread because I thought someone posted a checklist of what they typically pack on a trip like this. I either overlooked it or imagined it because I didn't find it.

I have tools, electronics, first-aid kit and protective gear covered. I 'think' I have the rest covered to but I'd like to see some of you seasoned folks checklists to make sure I don't have a duh moment when i get there.

Ok, I just looked through 859 posts in this thread because I thought someone posted a checklist of what they typically pack on a trip like this. I either overlooked it or imagined it because I didn't find it.

I have tools, electronics, first-aid kit and protective gear covered. I 'think' I have the rest covered to but I'd like to see some of you seasoned folks checklists to make sure I don't have a duh moment when i get there.
From memory here are most of my items....not comprehensive by any means. But I like to travel light. All fits into backpack, medium rolie, and small tank bag.

Sockets
Wrenches
Hex set
Multi bit tool
Pocket knife
Wire cutters
Pliers
Needle nose
Nuts and bolts
Spark plug wrench
Spark plug
Oil filter
Oiled air filter
Spare hand levers
electrical tape
Zip ties
Bailing wire
Grease
Chain lube
Tubes
Bead buddy
3 irons
Tire gauge
Kitchen trash bags. I use these to lay tools down roadside
Rags
Super glue
Loctite
Monkey butt shorts
Balaclava
Thermal top
Extra gloves
Radio
Spare Goggle lenses clear and colored wrapped in cellophane
Extra shirt socks underwear...also serve as roadside tp.
Map
Whistle
Signaling mirror
Space blanket
Lighter wrapped in ducttape
Neosporin
Pepsi
Pain/anti-inflammatory needs
Paperwork
Flip flops
Long sleeve tee
Flashlight
Sweats
12' lashing strap
Ear plugs
Electrical wire
Jacket with zip out liner
Boots
Pants zip off legs

Stuff I'm.currently missing...
Extra fuel line
Extra brake line
Extra clutch cable...
Extra coolant hose
Spare clamps

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

From memory here are most of my items....not comprehensive by any means. But I like to travel light. All fits into backpack, medium rolie, and small tank bag.

Sockets
Wrenches
Hex set
Multi bit tool
Pocket knife
Wire cutters
Pliers
Needle nose
Nuts and bolts
Spark plug wrench
Spark plug
Oil filter
Oiled air filter
Spare hand levers
electrical tape
Zip ties
Bailing wire
Grease
Chain lube
Tubes
Bead buddy
3 irons
Tire gauge
Kitchen trash bags. I use these to lay tools down roadside
Rags
Super glue
Loctite
Monkey butt shorts
Balaclava
Thermal top
Extra gloves
Radio
Spare Goggle lenses clear and colored wrapped in cellophane
Extra shirt socks underwear...also serve as roadside tp.
Map
Whistle
Signaling mirror
Space blanket
Lighter wrapped in ducttape
Neosporin
Pepsi
Pain/anti-inflammatory needs
Paperwork
Flip flops
Long sleeve tee
Flashlight
Sweats
12' lashing strap
Ear plugs
Electrical wire
Jacket with zip out liner
Boots
Pants zip off legs

Stuff I'm.currently missing...
Extra fuel line
Extra brake line
Extra clutch cable...
Extra coolant hose
Spare clamps

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Great stuff. Added some items to my list.

Thanks!

I’m one of those that has slime in the tubes/tiers for an extra level of flat protection. Very available at auto stores and Walmart’s.

Last edited:
I’m one of those that has slim in the tubes/tiers for and extra level of flat protection. Very available auto stores and Walmart’s.

I've slimed the tires. I'll try anything to avoid fixing a flat in the field :mrgreen:

Can you post a link or a picture of his list?
Here you go!
8d7d1a947919c9771cc257d25e13910c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So it's 3:30am and I'm about to hit the road to Mission. Hope to be there around noonish.

Is there any problem with just driving the truck with the bike still in the back straight to the Mexican border station to get my paperwork done?

Also, if anyone wants to tag along to get this done when I get there let me know. There's room in the truck and I'll swing by the hotel to pick you up. Spanish speakers get automatic dibs on the front seat. ;-)

I won't be checking TWT until I'm already there so if I shouldn't do this or you want a ride please either text or call me at 214.502 oh-five hundred?

Don't forget to take the 45 out from under the seat...

I have to go into work for a few hours. I hope to be on the road about 11.

Who is riding a KLX 400 or a DRZ 400 ?

I have a seat from...

Seat Concepts thats worth $280 by itself.

Its really comfortable and lower in height and weatherproof and has better grip in all black color.

Give me $240 and i will throw in all the rest of these items:

$ 200 Saddlebag/ Tailbag Hard Plastic Rack
$ 128 OEM Skid Plates
$ 55 OEM New Throttle and Clutch Cables
$ 54 OEM Gear Shifter Lever
$ 50 New 8 Oil Filters
$ 48 New Front and Rear Heavy Duty Tubes
and Rim Strips
$ 11 OEM Front Wheel Reflectors
$ 10 Mini Waterproof Toolbag
$ 6 New Spark Plug
$ 5 New 2 Front Sprocket Washers

$ 847 Total Cost of all items.

But $240 is all I'm asking.

Let me know here or PM me please.

I live at the border near Mission, so we can get together and make a deal.

Last edited:
Who is riding a KLX 400 or a DRZ 400 ?

I have a seat from...

Seat Concepts thats worth $280 by itself.

Its really comfortable and lower in height and weatherproof and has better grip in all black color.

Give me $240 and i will throw in all the rest of these items:

$ 200 Saddlebag/ Tailbag Hard Plastic Rack
$ 128 OEM Skid Plates
$ 55 OEM New Throttle and Clutch Cables
$ 54 OEM Gear Shifter Lever
$ 50 New 8 Oil Filters
$ 48 New Front and Rear Heavy Duty Tubes
and Rim Strips
$ 11 OEM Front Wheel Reflectors
$ 10 Mini Waterproof Toolbag
$ 6 New Spark Plug
$ 5 New 2 Front Sprocket Washers

$ 847 Total Cost of all items.

But $240 is all I'm asking.

Let me know here or PM me please.

I live at the border near Mission, so we can get together and make a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back