• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Avery Ranch Fireworks

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Rusty and I wandered down to the Avery Ranch fireworks show this evening. I had shot them in the past a couple times, but never really got what I'd call a good set of shots. I think that changed tonight.

Rusty simply said "ISO100, f/11 to start, about 50mm, and Bulb mode. And a tripod". Mmmm, ok.

So I mounted the D4s with the nifty-fifty f/1.4, formatted the memory card and had a full battery charge. For Bulb mode, I used a wireless hotshoe mounted receiver and had the trigger in my hand.

Setting up on the tripod, I did what he said. ISO100, f/11. I did a few test shots just to get the feel of the remote and see how the image was coming into play. Focus was manual at infinity and then backed off just a bit. During the show I tried to let the camera do the focusing but it just couldn't keep up.

Here's a handful of my favorites from the evening. Rusty - you are the master at this stuff.... :deal:

Fairly on in the evening
i-Tv3WHHd-XL.jpg

Probably my second favorite
i-ZWw6X9W-XL.jpg

Probably my favorite from the entire evening
i-NHPnkWc-XL.jpg

My "spider" shot as it reminds me of a tarantula
i-Rf5jnGq-XL.jpg

Whole lott'a stuff going on in this one
i-ZBq8vx5-XL.jpg

Just a cool white burst
i-P2xgJW5-XL.jpg

I liked this one too for the color variations
i-LFkkZmW-XL.jpg

Processing was a learning curve. Rusty gave me some pointers and I followed them with things like adjusting black points, then decreasing highlights and clarity while increasing vibrance and saturation a tad bit. Exposure and WB adjustments to finish.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with what was captured and processed, and I owe that to WoodButcher!

Fantastic shots, cannot believe you had 'difficulties' in the past.

Avery Ranch always has a great show. This year we get to see what Lago Vista has up it's sleeve.

Just now starting to edit mine. It really is pretty easy with a tripod and the ability to take long exposures.

WAY better than any of mine, all of which I simply deleted after viewing them... I did not use the settings that Rusty recommended. Next time though...

I shot a couple of fireworks shows back in the 90's with film, really haven't done it with digital. Same for lightning, I love capturing lightning but my wife yells at me for being outside.

I shot a couple of fireworks shows back in the 90's with film, really haven't done it with digital. Same for lightning, I love capturing lightning but my wife yells at me for being outside.
Well, you are kind of tall and lanky making you more of a lightning rod than us shorter people. :deal:

Back