• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 BMW G310GS rolling review and mods

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
thought I would start a thread for the new mini me GS and update as the miles build up.

I think BMW is going to have a big hit on their hands, already they are having trouble getting enough of them, two days is as long as they last on the floor.
when I had pretty much decided to get one they had two, a red one and one with the optional pearl white with red and blue stripes known as the rally version, the next morning the red one was gone and two other guys were looking hard at the rally one when I snatched it out from under them.

a lot of people are concerned about it being built in India, I can say so far that there is nothing to worry about. BMW has a large group of engineers on site to make sure they are up to their standards.
I say it is built better than the BIG GS as there is no final drive gear box to fail in flames and it does not have the can bus electrical system.

one week in pluses :
this is not a little bike, it is a full size bike but is no where as tall as its bigger brothers, so people like me who are semi inseam challenged fit it perfectly.
this is hands down the most comfortable stock seat I have ever sat on.
the relation of the seat to pegs to bars geometry is dead on perfect. this is a all day any day comfortable bike.

some reviews have called the engine buzzy at speed, the reviewers must be used to riding goldwings and K1600's as they have no clue what a buzzy engine is. yes there is a bit of high frequency vibration but it is very mild.

the headlight pattern is pretty good, the bulb is not the brightest but as you can change it without needing a single tool, it is very easy to fix the brightness.

the gauge cluster gives you speed (appears to be pretty accurate) RPM bar graph, gear display, fuel gauge, and you can toggle between odometer, two trip odometers, engine temperature, average fuel economy, instant fuel economy, average speed,range till empty,and the date.

it also has a low fuel light that came on at 34 miles remaining and it is supposed to switch to the miles remaining when the light comes on if it is not already in that display mode.
I ran it down to where it showed just 15 miles remaining and it took 2.6 gallons to fill up so there should have been 3 tenths remaining.

some reviews complained about the brakes, I did a unintentional stoppie during the demo ride, these econo brembos (bybre= BY BREmbo) work just fine and the ABS is quick and smooth. the rear pedal is fixed and not adjustable, that is the one negative about the brakes. the front lever is not adjustable but I have no issue with the reach and I have smaller hands.

negatives:
the side stand needs a better lever than the little stud it has, putting it down is very easy and it pops into the down position quite positively but that requires a pretty heavy shove to get it back up and the foot peg is in the way.

it has a pretty light fly wheel, you have to have it at 3000rpm or above when you start off or it can and will instantly die right there at the green light.
the clutch is smooth and has a good even take up once broke in so you do adapt, and the engine is less prone to stalling once it is warmed up.

a big negative is there are going to be tons of aftermarket parts available for this bike to suck my bank account dry with:lol2:

I already have Hepco and becker engine and tank guards on order from germany for it and SW-motech skid plate from England.
and after hours of research about to order a GTR Lighting Gen3 LED conversion for it and Denali DM spots.

When are you going stg3 rally raid?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Leon, That's what your bank account is for: farkles :)

Is a freer flowing exhaust and an aftermarket engine controller on your list?

A exhaust system is probably inevitable, the intake honk is way louder than the exhaust.
it uses a wide band O2 sensor and fuels pretty good, I have not seen anything about anyone working on anything for the fuel side.

a couple plusses I forgot to mention.
we could not find a single phillips or torques screw anyplace on this bike, everything is bolted together with allen screws and bolts and most are stainless.

stock it does not have a side stand, but it does have the mounting points for one and there are at least a couple companies that are working on centerstands.

the engine was designed to have the oil changed while on the side stand, the drain plug is on the lower left side where you will get the maximum oil drainage on the side stand.
you can see it standing up, no fumbling around trying to find a plug under the engine.

the intake and airbox are way up high, you would have to ford through seriously deep water to suck in any water.

Last edited:
When are you going stg3 rally raid?

I don't know, I have the mighty mite CRF250L for serious off road work and it has seriously impressed me with how well it works the worse the trail gets.

I'm wondering what kind of gas mileage you're getting, how much does the bike weigh, and where are the pics?:-P

The current average is 55mpg ,riding into a 15+mph head wind at 70mph showed a instant mileage of 40mpg.
Slow down and it goes way up.
Full of fuel and fluids ready to ride 370lbs

Keep up the good work Leon, you will have a ROAD AND DIRT ready off the wall GS.310

I was surprised to see you, as a experienced, longtime big bike rider, buying this small cc, 1 cylinder road bike.:zen: Don't get me wrong, I am sure the 310GS is a great bike but why for example did you not go for the 700GS instead?

Thank you for posting this. There seems to be some good interest on the little Beemer. Love to see the pics after you add the extras.:photo:

I was surprised to see you, as a experienced, longtime big bike rider, buying this small cc, 1 cylinder road bike.:zen: Don't get me wrong, I am sure the 310GS is a great bike but why for example did you not go for the 700GS instead?

1: it is far more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

2: I like small bikes, all my big bikes pretty much fell right into my lap at the right price. yes power wheelies are fun and being able to just pull out and gas it with no down shift and get around slow traffic in just a couple seconds is a rush.

3:the F700GS is nearly twice the price and 100 lbs heavier, the 800 is much taller as well

4: the key item, riding off road, big heavy bikes suck!! yes the 310GS is no feather weight and my CRF250L is a little red pig, but compared to my big bikes they are quite light and nimble

According to https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/bmw-motorycles-0-60-mph-times/ Leon's little thumper will do 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. It's not slow. It'll just take some planning to pass a semi up a hill into a headwind.

I've test ridden a brand new $25,000 GSA. At the end of the ride, with both toes on both feet extended all of the way, I managed to get it on the side stand without dropping it. Since I'm leg length challenged (30") and not that strong, I'm intrigued by light bikes.

Last edited:
MCN in upcoming June issue will review BMW G310GS. Also the Royal Enfield Himalayan. It is a 100% reader supported publication and tells it like it is. This month has review on BMW310R and Himalayan. The 310 R got 5 stars on suspension and also handling. 59mpg. Good looking bike to me. Valve check at 12 K miles $1075. Parts and labor at dealer. Wow! 4750 MSRP.

Valve check at 12 K miles $1075. Parts and labor at dealer. Wow! 4750 MSRP.

Whoa! So is this the razor industry strategy: under-price the bike and get it back in parts / service? I can't imagine how a value job on a single could cost a quarter the price of a new bike. Might as well not even do it, and just swap engines at 24k miles.

I guess none of these in the field are up to 12k miles yet for an actual price verification...

This does say labor rates may vary on 12000 K maintenance. It is quoted from California. The article says made in India and motor assembled in clean room environment under control of BMW. It took me six hours to change 4 plugs on V-strom and air filter and put it back together. Had to take pictures to get all screws and little pins back. All the plastic and loosen radiator. It is just the way it is these days, high labor rates on everything.
The cylinder on the 310 leans backwards and intake is in front exhaust in back,(it showed) I like that. Some of the Moto 2 race bike are like that and they scream for 250cc.
The GS would be a great bike for me. Big suspension and tires and light
Check ups for M/C are up there with humans and medicine.:)

Attachments

• BMW310.jpg
    BMW310.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
took it for its first pie run today and it performed quite well. trip average mileage showed 52mpg.
tracking shows the SW-motech skid plate has arrived in the states.

we had stopped for fuel and water on the return trip and I was pumping gas when a car stops and for the third time since buying the 310GS, the driver says "hey nice bike, I didn't know BMW made motorcycles"
I tell him "they made motorcycles for five years before they started building cars"

Isn't the exhaust out the rear of cylinder like it should be? Those are great looking bikes. The review says easy highway speeds and low vibes. I love singles.

Out the back is logical but most bikes have had the exhaust come out up front and loop around or under the engine to the rear.
Yamaha’s YZ came out the back and wrapped around the engine.

In my experience as riders rack up miles in different riding environments lot wind up moving "down" from the liter sized bikes to something midrange or smaller especially those who ride off pavement where weight makes a big difference.

Single cylinder street bike lovers is like a disease. They have always been my favorite and I seem to always go back to them. Have two now and ride them more than the Wee. My first was a Triumph Cub even had a CZ I think 350 street. I would love to have a BSA 500 Gold Star Very fast bike 100 plus and very pricy.

SW-motech skid plate has arrived and hepco Becker bars are on their way.

Back