• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Heart of Texas Rally : Brady to Bryan, TX; May 2-5, 2018

Reaction score
2018 Heart of Texas Rally (3 day and 12 hour long-distance rallies)
Start: Brady, TX
Finish: Bryan, TX
May 2-5, 2018 for the 3 day; May 5th for the 12 hour
This is a long-distance rally. For those of you familiar with events we’ve held before (Not In It To Win It Rally and the previous Heart of Texas Rallies), this will be the same format. For those not familiar….well, a long-distance rally is a photo bonus scavenger hunt on a motorcycle. We provide you a list of locations worth varying points. You cannot possibly visit all of them in the time allotted, so you must plan well and ride efficiently, making it to the end location before time is up and you are disqualified. It’s not a race, you will not need to go warp 3 in order to finish this event. As a matter of fact, the quicker you finish, the less opportunity you have to gather more points. At the end, we feed you, give you some free stuff, and maybe even award you a trophy which was most likely made by my 8 year old in art class. But it’s still yours and no one else has one like it. All this for the low, low fee of $10,000.
Ok, seriously though, we have two versions. The 3-day(ish) rally starts at 8am near Brady, TX on May 2nd, 2018. You have almost 80 hours to ride alllllllll over the State of Texas before ending at the LaSalle Hotel in Bryan, TX around 3pm-ish on May 5th, 2018. For those less adventurist riders, there is a 12-hour version that starts and ends in Bryan, TX on May 5th.
The cost is $115 for the 12 hour and $230 for the 80 hour. If you want a passenger to come along, they add $70 to your overall cost. What does giving up your weekly donut budget gain you? Well, let’s see….it helps me pay for insurance so me, the venue, the staff, and other riders don’t get their pants sued off when some idiot crashes and swears no one told him it was a good idea to wear a helmet (actually, that is in the rules and a waiver you have to sign before you ride). It also buys your dinner, buys your t-shirt, buys some swag, helps cover production costs for the event, funds the free rider clinics we hold every year, annnnddddd what little I manage to have left over goes to a local feed the homeless charity non-profit organization. Because we don’t make money off this crap, I swear. Trust me, I’ll spend 5 times as much putting this rally on as you will pay in entry fees, at the least. But that’s part of the fun!!! So come on.
We have a group booking at the start in Brady and a group booking at the LaSalle Hotel in Bryan, TX at the finish. When you register, I will e-mail you all the information you need. We have some limited information on our website (www.niitwit.com) but our webmaster isn’t very good, so good luck with that. There is some more info on our Facebook page, Heart of Texas Rally, or something like that, but the best way to find out info is to e-mail me at paultong971@gmail.com.
You can register of the rider on RideMaster : https://rides.jasonjonas.com/regRequest.php?id=512
We accept any motorcycle and we’re trike friendly. We have all types, too. Harley’s, Hondas, Yamahas, trikes, scooters, KTMs, dual sport bikes, super sport bikes, cruisers, tourers, choppers, and bar hoppers. We’ve had all types. We don’t care what you ride as long as you wear protective gear and ride safe. Other than that, you just need an open mind and a good attitude. If this type of motorcycle event is new to you, there are lots of ride reports I can push your way for basic instruction or I can walk you through it myself. It’ll be the most fun you’ve had not horizontal in a long time.

My name is Paul Tong and I’m the rallymaster for this shindig.

Last edited:
Re: 2018 Heart of Texas Rally : 3 day and 12 hour

I assume everyone here knows Paul's claim to fame, right? ;-)

True that. :lol2:

However, if you assure them that no one has to ride pillion, they might just sign up.

People laugh but I chuckle every time I look at that pretty 4th place trophy. It ain't 1, 2, or 3, but 4 was pretty nice for a guy like me. I would have been happy with 20.

I assume everyone here knows Paul's claim to fame, right? ;-)

Well, this dummy doesn't!:lol2: And push some of the old reports my way, please.

All right, let's see what happens THIS year to keep me from doing this. These are always on my radar but something like another event (usually planned by the wife) or some catastrophic mechanical failure seems to come my way. Right now everything seems clear but I can hear the rally gods deviously working on their plans.

"If this type of motorcycle event is new to you, there are lots of ride reports I can push your way for basic instruction."

I'm considering the 12 hour event. Push my way too.

Based on the web site, they will allow their first all male 2-up team for this event.

icon_beerchug.gif

Robert, are you interested?

RB

I missed so many good posts by not watching this forum as much as I should have. You guys are witty.

In case you don't get out much or aren't subscribed to our Facebook page, we just announced that the 80 hour winner of the 2018 Heart of Texas Rally will will a no-draw entry into the 2019 Iron Butt Rally. It's hard enough to get into the IBR as it is. You still have to pay for the entry but since all spots have been filled for the next IBR, this is one of the few last shots you'll get.

Registration for the Heart of Texas is at https://rides.jasonjonas.com/regRequest.php?id=512

So..Paul is one half of Team Almond Joy? I still chuckle about that. You guys rock.

Back