• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 MexTrek #8, Oct 20th - 23rd 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to make this trip work schedule wise. Won't know for a few months.

But when I amazon the required radio, I get a Ham radio "walkie talkie" that requires a license to transmit in the US. Is a license required in Mexico? Is it a license that requires skill to get or are we just paying money to use the radio? Did I get the wrong radio in my Amazon search?
You are looking at the right radio. It does require an operator's license in the United States which might cost 5 or $10 and requires short written test. in Mexico my understanding is it is illegal for a Mexican to own and use a similar radio, ( due to gang activity) but in all of our encounters with police, border patrol, and people on the street it has been relayed that it is okay for us to have them because we aren't Mexican citizens. If you have concerns I would recommend installing the radio out of sight and using push to talk.

Re: 2018 MexTrek #7, Oct 20th - 23rd 2018

If anyone is interested I have four (4) Baofeng UV-B5 radios programmed and available for loan. Both standard/stubby antennas, charging cradles and I even have two battery eliminator packs so you can plug directly into 12V acc/cig plug. No headsets though, I would just clip to my Camelback strap. The model number doesn't exactly match so Peter will need to chime in if compatiable.

_
Anything that runs UHF 400-520 and VHF 136-174 will have exact matches to the Baofeng UV-5R. This is most radios out there. But we mainly stick to the channels broadcast on the FRS spectrum, family radio service (FRS/GMRS) which even the cheap little handhelds broadcast on. These work on UHF 462 thru 467 UHF. The list of channels is:

1 FRS/GMRS 462.5625 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
2 FRS/GMRS 462.5875 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
3 FRS/GMRS 462.6125 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
4 FRS/GMRS 462.6375 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
5 FRS/GMRS 462.6625 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
6 FRS/GMRS 462.6875 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
7 FRS/GMRS 462.7125 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
8 FRS/GMRS 467.5625 0.5W / 12.5kHz 0.5W / 12.5kHz
9 FRS/GMRS 467.5875 0.5W / 12.5kHz 0.5W / 12.5kHz
10 FRS/GMRS 467.6125 0.5W / 12.5kHz 0.5W / 12.5kHz
11 FRS/GMRS 467.6375 0.5W / 12.5kHz 0.5W / 12.5kHz
12 FRS/GMRS 467.6625 0.5W / 12.5kHz 0.5W / 12.5kHz
13 FRS/GMRS 467.6875 0.5W / 12.5kHz 0.5W / 12.5kHz
14 FRS/GMRS 467.7125 0.5W / 12.5kHz 0.5W / 12.5kHz
15 FRS/GMRS 462.5500 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
16 FRS/GMRS 462.5750 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
17 FRS/GMRS 462.6000 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
18 FRS/GMRS 462.6250 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
19 FRS/GMRS 462.6500 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
20 FRS/GMRS 462.6750 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
21 FRS/GMRS 462.7000 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
22 FRS/GMRS 462.7250 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*

We just grab one randomly, not 1 or 2 or 3 due to regular use, and stick to it the whole ride. We announce before the ride starts.

On any programmable radio you just have to type in the frequency on the keypad, aka 4 6 2 6 3 7 (no need to put in the last digit...5...the radio rounds) and you are working on FRS channel 4. Press and hold the lock button so the only button the radio can use is push to talk, and you are ready to ride. Takes all of 10 seconds in practice.

I could yell, VHF...173500 and everyone in a group could switch in a matter of seconds assuming they took 2 minutes to learn the basics of radio operation from a user.

as far as using UHF vs VHF (ultra high versus very high frequency): FROM THE NET:

Iit's a trade off. But the general rule-of-thumb is if you are using the radio primarily outdoors where you will have clear line-of-sight then VHF is a better choice because it's signal will travel farther. BUT, if you will beusing your radio in or around buildings, in urban areas, or heavily wooded areas, then UHF is a better choicebecause it's signal will navigate around structures better, not being blocked as easily as VHF. The trade-off you are making is longer distance (VHF), vs avoiding possible "dead spots" in and around structures (UHF).

Last edited:
We are having a little meet and greet at Lima Criolla (family style Peruvian, excellent, N Austin, 35 at 183 i the Linc center) this Tuesday, June 5th, for anyone who is interested in talking Mexico riding. Drinks at 6:30, dinner at 7:30.

For anyone considering a Garmin InReach and wondering how you would use it to interact with the outside world, I thought a live example might be helpful. A friend of mine is using the InReach to track his bicycle ride from Dallas to Virginia. If you click on the link below, then click on the link in the header entitled, “Track Me As I Ride”, you will be taken to the Garmin page that shows his progress in real time (10 min update intervals). He is also sending custom messages to his support team at the start and finish of each day.

https://kraxmel.blogspot.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interface and operate with.......what? Each other? In Mexican airspace?
was wondering whether the sena 20s will interface
w/ the 2 way radios required for this trip, eg,
Baofeng UV5-R radios on Mextrek 2017, 4 watt / 1 watt: UV-5R V2, 8 watt high power: BF-F9 V2, etc...

Baofeng UV5-R radios on Mextrek 2017, 4 watt / 1 watt: UV-5R V2, 8 watt high power: BF-F9 V2, etc...
Jeff is correct. You can use a Sena SR10 Bluetooth Adapter (which I use) but I would strongly recommend you get it in advance and play with it and not try to learn it sitting in a hotel in Mexico.

copb8

Forum Supporter
You need to be aware that you'll also need a specific cable that goes between the radio and the SR10. Without it your SR10 is useless. My 2 friends didn't realize this until the day before our last trip and it was too late to source them. It's not expensive but takes a few days to get. Order it with the radio.

And for convenience you may want to add the push-to-talk button. You can use the unit itself to press talk if it's mounted in a convenient location but with the optional cable it puts the button right at your thumb at the grip.

JT

Forum Supporter
I am so ready for this one. I have 2 tracks ready with some new stuff and want to revisit a few old tracks. Jeff, you in? Have you done the backside of Mt. Potosi yet?

JT

Forum Supporter
Following!! LMK if you do this, and how!
There are a few Bluetooth modules available that claim to be able to interface from the Baofeng radio to any device with Bluetooth input such as the Sena headsets. The only documented device to do this is the Sena SR10. It aint cheap. About $160 plus another $20 for the cable. The good news is it works very well. I have had one now for about 2 years and have had very good service from it. The SR10 comes with a remote PTT switch you can put on the left handlebar and push the button without taking your hand off the grip. The SR10 also has a PTT button on it's body. I clip the SR10 and the radio to my jacket and run a cable for the remote PTT through my sleeve. When on the bike, I plug the cable to the remote PTT. If I want to step off the bike, I just unplug the remote cable and use the PTT on the body of the SR10. This way I can get off the bike and still use the radio.

I am so ready for this one. I have 2 tracks ready with some new stuff and want to revisit a few old tracks. Jeff, you in? Have you done the backside of Mt. Potosi yet?
I retraced the exploration route you and I did last October and made my way to the water tank with fence across the road, mainly to show some new guys the trailhead so we can try the whole route next time.

At the town about 5 km from the main highway to Iturbide we met 20 yr old Hector, and his 3 little cousins, who loved US $1 bills. 28 kids live in this tiny rancho and go to the nice hillside school. All 28 kids are first or second cousins. Every person in the town is a family member of the town's 7 grandfathers. As Hector said in a nice and sweet way, "We must import our Women!"

All 7 grandfathers also own the land and the underutilized lead mine located 2 miles up very very steep old road. A mine you can climb into as far as your fears of claustrophobia allow you to venture. We were staying ahead of a rainstorm and the impending thunder in the mineshaft was enough to get our spidey senses tingling and we turned tail. We'll be back. I hope to make the 60 foot climb down the main shaft to venture into the km's of tunnels someday. I'm stupid like this.

Hector promised if we brought a crew of 15 or 20, and beer for some of his clan, we'd have a Nuevo Leon style Cabrito bbq this October.

JT, if you ever take that track again, make a left in town at the Y. Up the little hill and on the right is one blue house with 2 old trucks closest to the power lines. This is Hector's house. It is on the track to Cuevas we rode last year. Knock and say hello. He is extremely welcoming, friendly, and speaks zero english, lol.

Last edited:
Having to watch my schedule before I commit. I'm going to make a week of it and end up in Galeana. If anyone is interested in a little Sierra Gorda riding, maybe Grutas Tolontango before Mextrek let's talk. Zeke ?

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Having to watch my schedule before I commit. I'm going to make a week of it and end up in Galeana. If anyone is interested in a little Sierra Gorda riding, maybe Grutas Tolontango before Mextrek let's talk. Zeke ?
Tolontango is great. Just be aware they only accept cash. And no atm's on the property. And it is fairly remote, i e, no towns nearby to get mo pesos.

You can travel to Mexico and Canada, by land, using just a passport card. Flying still requires a regular passport. I think traveling by boat does too.
The evening shift (no supervisor on staff) border office employees are taking advantage of the inconsistency of using the passport card and are now typically asking for a $20 or $25 bribe to allow you to enter the country with only a passport card. But clearly the law is that you can enter with a passport card by land, but you may be asked for bribe if you come after 6 p.m.

Last edited:
Cant do those dates mi amigo, mextrek #8 is not in mi futuro. Was el salado included in this run? I hope not, lets leave it for another run...

Last edited:
After mextrek #5 on way home Federal police in montemorelos threatened to arrest me and seriously warned that radios need be out of sight n turned off when not up in the mountains. He warned the worst scenario u can imagine n costly. It took lots of mex BS to get me out of that encounter.
That story will get relayed to all future groups. We'll keep radios stashed until we hit the mountains.

Last edited:
What’s the general consensus regarding luggage on the dual sports for a trip like this? I’m looking at picking up a Giant Loop Coyote for my KTM 500 EXC - anyone have thoughts on better options? I have a small Moose Racing luggage rack, no side racks or mounts and prefer to keep it that way.

Charles,

Tricepilot Bob has been using the Giant Loop bag on his 500 EXC for several years and has a couple of long (1000+ mile) trips to Mexico with that set-up. By all accounts, it seems to have worked very well for him. That's his 500 in the photo below, on our Jalpan recon trip in 2015. He does not have side racks either.

P5260265-XL.jpg

^^
Thanks Richard - looking at those and the Mosko Reckless system. Both look like solid options. Of course the Giant Loop does come in KTM orange....

^^
Thanks Richard - looking at those and the Mosko Reckless system. Both look like solid options. Of course the Giant Loop does come in KTM orange....

I’m running the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 on my 500. I have side racks but think it would be okay without the racks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.