• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Texas Hill Country 500 - Nov 2-4, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarrett, sorry you can't make it, totally understand.

Keith, thanks for the heads up, may need to create some alternate GPS files... No need to play submarine on expensive toys :)

Thanks for all the feedback. I better do this alone this year and get an idea if to try it 2up next year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just signed up (catch you in Johnson City Saturday AM). I booked a room for Saturday night at Roadway Inn next door for around $85 after taxes.

Water crossings are probably going to be deeper than normal and the James River is on route, I believe on day 2. Add Lots of dirt, sand, gravel and long days in the saddle make this questionable.

The James River is not on the route for either day. When planning the route I left it off due to a) riders likely not wanting to cross it with loaded down bikes and b) the possibility of cold weather (nobody wants to be wet and cold at the same time).

Well, I have survived the bypass surgery that I had on Friday a week ago. I will be very envious of those being able to attend this rally. Lots of pics everyone. This was the roughest surgery by far that I've ever had.

Congratulations and a speedy recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firewood hauled up. Fire ring built. Weed-eating and shredding are underway.

Looking great for the weekend!

I confirmed that this campsite is open. This location is less than 1 mile form ride hq at the BestWestern Junction.

Junction North Llano River RV Park
2145 Main St
Junction, TX 76849
(325) 446-3138

Hi All -

Unfortunately, my girlfriend are going to have to miss this event. We have to go to a family event in Dallas the same weekend as the ride. Next time!

-shawn

Sorry to hear you can’t come, understand obligations get in the way sometimes. One thing I do ask is please update the registration spreadsheet so I can get an accurate head count for food. Thank you...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I confirmed that this campsite is open. This location is less than 1 mile form ride hq at the BestWestern Junction.

Junction North Llano River RV Park
2145 Main St
Junction, TX 76849
(325) 446-3138

THATS WHERE I STAYED LAST TIME. GOOD SPOT

The weather is looking perfect! I hope the forecast holds.

Hey guys. I'm going on this ride and I'll be riding my 2012 Suzuki Vstrom 650 ADV. It has the factory crash bars, but has no skid plate. I'm a little concerned about the oil filter hanging out there all exposed, but I don't think I can arrange for protection for it before Friday.

What do you all think? Do you think that there is a "high" chance of it getting damaged? I know I'm asking you to look in your 'crystal ball'. ;-) I have ridden on gravel roads a lot and have ridden on some well-maintained 'two-track'. I've also done one water crossing. All with no problems. I realize that this is no guarantee that I'll have no problems on this ride, but it's the experience I have.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

P.S. Oh, and I do plan on getting a skidplate and handguards, but can't achieve that by Friday.

Last edited:
Anyone riding in from DFW?

I was thinking of doing something like this:

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

I'm interested in riding down with you.

Haven't been on this ride, but it couldn't hurt to have an extra oil filter and a bottle of oil just in case. Those filters are rather exposed.

I'll be on my my Strom as well. I've ridden some if these roads on it. And tbe primary worry is a large rock getting kicked up by your front tire. I'd say just try to maintain some awareness of the road surface and you should do fine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That is an excellent idea! (now why didn't I think of that?)

You can tell I don't go on trips with my bike much. But I want to go on trips. ;-) Thanks again for the suggestion.

The Strom is a great traveling bike. Comfortable, good mileage, and plenty of carrying capacity. It will do fine on most of the gravel and dirt we'll be hitting. My only real worry is patches of deep sand, but i'll survive. Look for me in Johnson City if you want a group to ride with.

The Strom is a great traveling bike. Comfortable, good mileage, and plenty of carrying capacity. It will do fine on most of the gravel and dirt we'll be hitting. My only real worry is patches of deep sand, but i'll survive. Look for me in Johnson City if you want a group to ride with.

Thanks. I would like to ride in a group with another Strom. It'll give me an idea on how "adventurous" I should be. ;-)

Mike, is everyone on their own for coffee on Saturday morning? If there's some kind of brewer on site, i'll gladly supply beans from one if the restaurants.

Looks like the Best Western Junction is sold out so if anyone can recommend another place around there I'd appreciate the guidance.

Gracias!

Looks like the Best Western Junction is sold out so if anyone can recommend another place around there I'd appreciate the guidance.

Gracias!

Did you call them? A large number of rooms was blocked for this event, but you have to call and mention the rally to get the $77 price. If they are completely sold out, check with the Rodeway Inn next door to the BW.

Thanks for the heads up. Best Western was booked but did manage to book a room at Rodeway. Appreciate it mucho amigo!

Anyone have a spare rear brake pedal for a 2016 africa twin? Mine's bent but rideable. Would be way more convenient if I had a straight one for this trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back