• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Texas Hill Country 500 - Nov 2-4, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to join in. Have room booked at Junction. There were several room choices.
Will leave Beaumont Friday afternoon.
Probably camp Friday night.
Ride the R1200GS or Bring DR-650 in truck.
If I bring the DR in the truck, can I leave the truck on the Johnson City property?

Fresh rear tire install in preparation for the trip.

6e2dba6e10f340c0036eb62cd673f12b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never too late, Rob. Bring that Honda out. And just get in a group that know's the route/has multiple GPS options. Or alternately slap a GPS app on your phone and grab a mount at Cycle Gear.

I have had family problems pop up and will be unable to attend. I have a room at the BW in Junction. I am probably going to cancel tomorrow afternoon (10/30) around 5PM. If anyone is looking for a room...drop me a PM and I will give you my cell. We can coordinate my cancellation and your call looking for a room. In the event that a few folks respond. I will just go down the line in the order they replied. If no one responds...I will cancel by 5PM.

Never too late, Rob. Bring that Honda out. And just get in a group that know's the route/has multiple GPS options. Or alternately slap a GPS app on your phone and grab a mount at Cycle Gear.
Speaking of GPS apps, do you have a suggestion for one that can readily handle GPX track files?

I'm using OSMand on Android right now. It seems to work ok, but the track for this trip wouldn't follow roads. So, its like a series of straight lines between waypoints.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Does anyone have an idea of how long the two Sunday rides might take? I'm planning on riding back to DFW on Sunday and I'm wondering how late I'll be getting back.

Depending on how long the 259 mile or 150 mile rides take, I may have to leave mid-ride to ensure I get back to DFW at a reasonable hour...and before I'm exhausted. ;-)

Speaking of GPS apps, do you have a suggestion for one that can readily handle GPX track files?

I'm using OSMand on Android right now. It seems to work ok, but the track for this trip wouldn't follow roads. So, its like a series of straight lines between waypoints.

I've had issues with Richard's routes doing that in the past. Here's my solution-

1) Load the original file into Basecamp.

2) Covert the "route" to a "track"

3) Save that as a different file.

4) load the "track" onto your gps app.

5) when you pull it up (at least on my OSMAnd+) it will ask if you want to use the selected track for navigation. After that it works fine.

I haven't converted the files yet, but will in the next day or two. I'll post them when I do.

I've had issues with Richard's routes doing that in the past. Here's my solution-

5) when you pull it up (at least on my OSMAnd+) it will ask if you want to use the selected track for navigation. After that it works fine.

I haven't converted the files yet, but will in the next day or two. I'll post them when I do.
That fixed it. Thanks! Before, I didn't even realize that were three routes in the file.

Last edited:
Excited for the ride this weekend! Will be my first on my new Continental TKC70s.

Question: does anyone have a suggestion for an iOS phone app that will allow me to follow the route that's been provided for this ride? I've seen some Android app messages on here, but none for iOS. Thanks for the help!

Excited for the ride this weekend! Will be my first on my new Continental TKC70s.

Question: does anyone have a suggestion for an iOS phone app that will allow me to follow the route that's been provided for this ride? I've seen some Android app messages on here, but none for iOS. Thanks for the help!

I believe Osmand has an app that is compatible with ios phone.

https://osmand.net/blog/osmand-ios-1.3-released

Don't know how well it works.

Since my usual riding buddy is still out of commission—I’ll be looking to join a “moderate on pavement-slow on dirt” group.

Since my usual riding buddy is still out of commission—I’ll be looking to join a “moderate on pavement-slow on dirt” group.

You can ride with us if you want, Gina :) Strom's gotta stick together.

My friend's that have IPhones recommend Scenic.

Mike,
take me off the list of campers for Fri. I will be in JC Sat Am for the riders meeting

My friend's that have IPhones recommend Scenic.

Senic works with without any issues. I prefer MotionX but it took a lot of work to make the Garmon routes work. I have the converted routes for MotionX I can send. CH

Post them Michael, I haven't downloaded them yet :thumb:

Senic works with without any issues. I prefer MotionX but it took a lot of work to make the Garmon routes work. I have the converted routes for MotionX I can send. CH

So is the Premium version of Scenic worth the money? I was able to successfully import the GHX files for the ride and modify the way points to match for the most part. But I haven't tried using the route to navigate in real time. Or should I be using MotionX instead? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have an idea of how long the two Sunday rides might take? I'm planning on riding back to DFW on Sunday and I'm wondering how late I'll be getting back.

Depending on how long the 259 mile or 150 mile rides take, I may have to leave mid-ride to ensure I get back to DFW at a reasonable hour...and before I'm exhausted. ;-)

You might be better leaving from Llano and continue up north to DFW. - Am I correct to say that there is no other option at Johnson City other than camping?? All hotels seem full correct? I just got SCENIC and it is a great app. thanks for the recommendation!

You might be better leaving from Llano and continue up north to DFW. - Am I correct to say that there is no other option at Johnson City other than camping?? All hotels seem full correct? I just got SCENIC and it is a great app. thanks for the recommendation!
Yeah. I think I'll leave from San Saba so I can experience half of the Sunday ride.

Regarding hotel room availability, I got my room at the Best Western with two queen beds in case someone needed a place to stay and didn't want to camp. Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited:

Sunday ride from Junction to San Saba is 130 miles, Garmin estimates driving time as 3:30. Thats running the speed limits on those roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back