• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Texas Hill Country 500 - Nov 2-4, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the Premium version of Scenic worth the money? I was able to successfully import the GHX files for the ride and modify the way points to match for the most part. But I haven't tried using the route to navigate in real time. Or should I be using MotionX instead? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senic maybe better for this route. My only problem with Senic is it will reroute on its own when you start doing some sidetracking. However these are all public roads so not a problem in Texas. Senic doesn't work very well when you want to travel an off the map trail.

Here are the routes converted to tracks. Second file is tracks filtered to <500 points for older Garmin GPSs.

Attachments

• 2018 THC 500-tr.gpx
    354.1 KB · Views: 369
  • 2018 THC 500-tr-fl.gpx
    72.3 KB · Views: 364
Thanks for doing that JT

Looks like the water truck is coming through for a quick sprinkle today/tonight. Lets hope it is only enough to keep the dust down for this weekend :)

Sunday ride from Junction to San Saba is 130 miles, Garmin estimates driving time as 3:30. Thats running the speed limits on those roads.

Well, my work colleague in Ireland gave me excellent trip advice. He said that I should not let work get in the way of completing the whole Sunday ride. :rider:

So, I've decided to complete the entire Sunday ride (the long one with extra dirt, please). I'm also going to camp Sunday night at Enchanted Rock Natural Area. I visited there decades ago when I lived in Houston, TX. It is an awesome place with a 423 ft granite dome that is 2.5 square miles in area.

This is gonna be so much fun. I can't wait! :-)

Oh and they have 33 campsites available.

Last edited:
What is the ETA at Mikes house in JC Sunday?

Sunday full route is 276 miles. Garmin estimate 7:54.
Sunday short route is 159 miles. Garmin estimate is 4:01.
These are rough estimates based on running the speed limits on planned tracks.

Was wondering if the obstacle course got set up.

Karl

Do you have room for one more??
I haven’t ridding since last November

Always room for one more. Will you be at the ranch on Friday night?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Appreciate that Mike. Stroms do gotta stick together--even tho I'll be on the 690. C ya fri night!
Last i heard, the 690 had "died under mysterious circumstances" :) glad to hear its back on the road.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hi there, with the current weather , is the hill country is still on (road \ trail condition)?

The weather looks like it is going to be PERFECT !!!

By the way, if anybody needs to do some last minute tinkering with their bikes, there is a pretty complete set of tools, air, etc in the barn...

JT, you have the 2 tracks posted, thanks. Can you tell me what difference the 500-tr is and the -fl file.

JT, you have the 2 tracks posted, thanks. Can you tell me what difference the 500-tr is and the -fl file.

The -fl is filtered to less than 500 track points. Older Garmin GPSs could not handle tracks with more than 500 points. Same track, just a little less detail making the corners more abrupt.

That’s funny Siri often makes me sound like a very strange person from time to time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The weather looks like it is going to be PERFECT !!!

By the way, if anybody needs to do some last minute tinkering with their bikes, there is a pretty complete set of tools, air, etc in the barn...

I might need help unloading the motorcycle from the trailer. That is if I manage to load it into this trailer/camper. Hopefully, a couple of volunteers will do. I am installing a crank winch to help the process. The last thing is to fail loading of unloading my NC700X!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back