• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs - October 10-13

Last year was hot and rainy, this year will be cold and rainy. Variety is the spice of life!

Oh wow, it’s gonna be cold. Need to figure out how to install my heated gear on the GSA.

Last minute interested

Give Joanne at the hotel a call (see original post for number), there might be a last minute opening that you can grab. Or hit up the folks already reserved and see if they'll take a roommate. Most of the rooms have 2 queen beds. Hope you can make it!

Friday Morning:
If the forecast doesn't pan out and we end up having good weather early on, I'd like to meet everyone in the parking lot at 8:00 to go over some safety issues and organize everyone into groups, then have kickstands up by 8:30. I'm not a super early kind of guy, but if you are feel free to venture out earlier if you'd like. No one is locked into anything with this group, and my feelings won't be hurt. :deal

If it is raining as expected, I'll be holding back at the hotel to wait it out for at least a little bit. It might be a good time to take a trip over to Myrtie Mae's or Mud Street Cafe for a leisurely breakfast, then copious amounts of coffee on the front porch of the hotel. I'll bring a coffee pot. :coffee: Hopefully the rain will let up by 11ish, maybe earlier, then we'll hit the road.

Again, feel free to do your own thing if waiting out the rain isn't your thing. I'm not going to wait all day, but since it's supposed to let up by late morning I'd rather give it a chance to clear out and not set out in the rain. I'll make my GPS tracks available to all who want them, or use your own and head on out if that's your preference.

All that being said, if you do end up doing your own thing, I do ask that you let me know so that I don't wonder or worry about you.

Saturday Morning:
Looks like good weather. Meet in the parking lot 8:00, kickstands up at 8:30. Same as above, please let me know if you're doing your own thing.

If you can't find me, call or text my cell at 817-6oh2 - 9oh59.

I've attached the latest versions of my tracks to this post. Try them out at home to make sure they work for you. These are built using Furkot in TRP format and don't always translate over to GPX format perfectly. I'm thinking Loop 1 on Friday, probably shortened somewhat, and Loop 2 on Saturday.

And lastly, as you plan your ride and make adjustments throughout the day, remember that we have a dinner reservation at 7:00pm back at Bavarian Inn.

Any questions? Just ask!

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Alternate_Dirt_Route_Back_to_ES.gpx
    114.8 KB · Views: 181
  • NW_Ark_Loop_5___320mi_Some_Dirt.gpx
    488.8 KB · Views: 156
  • NW_Ark_Loop_1___300mi_MO_Dbl_Ltr.gpx
    544.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Alt_Dbl_Ltr_Connector_Dirt.gpx
    56.6 KB · Views: 198
I know you guys have nothing better to do than read my wordy forum posts. In recognition of that I offer to you this fine quote from @Tourmeister

Group rides can be a ton of fun, or go south very quickly. We've had a good run lately and I want to keep it that way. Please read the rules and hold them near and dear to your heart.

Tourmeister said:
Ride Rules

1. Wear the gear! At a minimum you must have a DOT approved helmet, gloves, and jacket. We'd be much happier to see good boots and riding pants ;-)

2. NO squidding! This means no wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, etc,... We do not want to attract undue negative attention.

3. No passing on the right! If you are behind a slower rider, pass safely on the left. It is preferrable that they know you are coming so you don't freak them when you pass by them.

4. Speeding is done at your own risk! Sure we all ride a little quick at times. If you get a ticket, don't bother blaming me. If you come upon group members that have been stopped, keep riding and find a place to stop farther up the road. LEO are not going to be thrilled if a lot of other bikes start pulling up.

5. Ride your own pace! I know you've all heard this before. Take it serious!! You will not get left behind. I stop the group at all turns in the route so we can regroup. It is rare for the group to wait more than a minute or two at most even for the slow riders. I will not continue until I get a thumbs up from the last person to arrive. Really, I want everyone to take this serious. Picking people and their bikes up out of ditches is NOT FUN!!

6. Group formation. On straights, we ride in a staggered formation with at least a one second gap between the person ahead of you. DO NOT CROWD THE RIDER IN FRONT OF YOU!! If you are all over the back of the person in front of you, you need to go ahead and pass them when it is safe. There are deer out in East Texas and if they have to swerve or brake to miss a deer, you need to have time to react! The staggering is only required for straights. When you hit the curves, take whatever line you think is best to get you through the corner safely.

7. No booze!We do not tolerate drinking until the end of the day when we are off the bikes. May sound kind of strict, but that's the way it is.

8. If one gasses up, we all gas up! I know this rule bugs some people. However, it will never fail that a few people will wait to get gas because they don't "need" gas yet. This totally screws up everything because they get out of sync with the group and we wind up having to make more stops and waste more time than we would if everyone will just fill up at the same time. I will hound you about this!!

9. Passing other traffic. I expect you to pass other vehicles in a safe manner. This does not include passing through a corner on the double yellow! If the bike in front of you passes, DO NOT assume it is necessarily safe for you to pass as well!! I have seen way too many close calls because of this behavior. Remember, we don't want every car we pass to be pissed at motorcyclists because we are obnoxious ;-)

10. Keep track of the rider behind you. You should be checking your mirrors every time you get done with a set of curves to make sure the person behind you has come through without incident. The idea is to make sure no one gets left behind as a result of mechanical issues or an accident. If you turn around, then the person ahead of you will eventually turn around, and so on, until the whole group comes back. We will do whatever is necessary to get all bikes and riders home.

11. Breaking away from the group. There will be riders that need to cut the day short for whatever reason. If you are one of these riders, you need to make sure that the ride leader knows you will be leaving and when. This is important because otherwise, it will be assumed that something bad has happened to you!

:tab Those 11 rules may seem like a lot, but they are not. Most are common sense. I do expect everyone to abide by them though.

My plans have changed so I am out and Ocho is out by association.
Best wishes to all that will be there.
Thanks Pacman for organizing.
Double queen room to be released this morning with penalties I am sure (72 hour cancel policy) [emoji15]

Double queen room to be released this morning with penalties I am sure (72 hour cancel policy) [emoji15]

Well that's a bummer. Sorry you guys can't make it @TheD-Man and @Ocho

@skup here's your chance to get a room.

I will take your room if you get a hold of me ASAP

Friday Morning:
If the forecast doesn't pan out and we end up having good weather early on, I'd like to meet everyone in the parking lot at 8:00 to go over some safety issues and organize everyone into groups, then have kickstands up by 8:30. I'm not a super early kind of guy, but if you are feel free to venture out earlier if you'd like. No one is locked into anything with this group, and my feelings won't be hurt. :deal

If it is raining as expected, I'll be holding back at the hotel to wait it out for at least a little bit. It might be a good time to take a trip over to Myrtie Mae's or Mud Street Cafe for a leisurely breakfast, then copious amounts of coffee on the front porch of the hotel. I'll bring a coffee pot. :coffee: Hopefully the rain will let up by 11ish, maybe earlier, then we'll hit the road.

Again, feel free to do your own thing if waiting out the rain isn't your thing. I'm not going to wait all day, but since it's supposed to let up by late morning I'd rather give it a chance to clear out and not set out in the rain. I'll make my GPS tracks available to all who want them, or use your own and head on out if that's your preference.

All that being said, if you do end up doing your own thing, I do ask that you let me know so that I don't wonder or worry about you.

Saturday Morning:
Looks like good weather. Meet in the parking lot 8:00, kickstands up at 8:30. Same as above, please let me know if you're doing your own thing.

If you can't find me, call or text my cell at 817-6oh2 - 9oh59.

I've attached the latest versions of my tracks to this post. Try them out at home to make sure they work for you. These are built using Furkot in TRP format and don't always translate over to GPX format perfectly. I'm thinking Loop 1 on Friday, probably shortened somewhat, and Loop 2 on Saturday.

And lastly, as you plan your ride and make adjustments throughout the day, remember that we have a dinner reservation at 7:00pm back at Bavarian Inn.

Any questions? Just ask!

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer
Is there a difference other than the dirt section in the Northern Loop than in the first tracks that you posted? I have already processed those and loaded them on my Montanna so would prefer not to go through the process again if I don't have to ... thanks

Is there a difference other than the dirt section in the Northern Loop than in the first tracks that you posted? I have already processed those and loaded them on my Montanna so would prefer not to go through the process again if I don't have to ... thanks

No, they're the same. I just changed the file names because the file management in Fukot is goofy and I couldn't keep track of everything.

I just spoke to them and they gave me your room and I asked and they agreed to release your deposit with no penalties.

I just spoke to them and they gave me your room and I asked and they agreed to release your deposit with no penalties.

That's great news!

I'm really liking Bavarian Inn. It's our first time with them and so far they've been treating us great. Joanne specifically has been awesome.

That is great. Thanks very much. Glad this worked out for us both. Have a great time.

No, they're the same. I just changed the file names because the file management in Fukot is goofy and I couldn't keep track of everything.
Great. Thanks for planning it out and sharing the tracks and routes. Look forward to riding with you. Dan

Beautiful weather so far

Attachments

• 2C82CE3D-0E37-4774-A3E0-F0B0D797B7FD.jpeg
    2C82CE3D-0E37-4774-A3E0-F0B0D797B7FD.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 1D40F12F-C19F-4A29-B514-9179D0370BB8.jpeg
    1D40F12F-C19F-4A29-B514-9179D0370BB8.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 175
Ok this thing is a bear to load without a wheel chock. But it's done. Whew.
IMG_20191009_184045.jpg

you are not far from me. what time are you hitting the road tomorrow? my wife and i are headed out about 9am probably stop in Paris Tx for lunch.

Shooting for 9 also. But departure times are merely a suggestion for my lovely wife. :lol2:

Where are you eating in Paris? If we're anywhere close around lunchtime I'll ping you.

Shooting for 9 also. But departure times are merely a suggestion for my lovely wife. :lol2:

Where are you eating in Paris? If we're anywhere close around lunchtime I'll ping you.
LOL yes i understand ! not sure about where for lunch, a hole in the wall cafe would be nice. you know, some place all the pickup trucks are at lunch time. you know it will be good. yes if your near txt me 214 649 4492 Dan

Back