• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 KTM Adventure 790

Rsquared

Un-Supervised Slacker
Forum Supporter
I've be following it since it was first announced. After the EICMA show and the news of the release next year, I look forward to the magazine test as well as the first owner's thoughts. From what I read there's a lot to like. Everything except the weight. But fortunately for the gravity conscious folks like myself, they've also announced a revised 690R...

[ame="https://youtu.be/G3L1VWGy43s"]2019 KTM 690 Enduro R and SMC : Bad boys' toys : EICMA 2018 : PowerDrift - YouTube[/ame]

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
How is the weight compared to a 1090R or the bigger bikes?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
For a general purpose adventure bike, that is going to be hard to beat. Granted, I would not want to take it to some of the places we've been on the smaller bikes, but for packing up and heading out for a trip where you ride the whole way... :ponder:

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
I think they said 417 dry with a 5.2 gas tank, so guessing 450-455 wet. (Just read on another forum 460 wet)

That makes it about 40-45 pounds lighter than the Africa Twin with the same horsepower numbers and a bigger gas tank.

Looks like a great bike. If it were DCT, I would be thinking hard about it.

Last edited:
I think the KTM 790 and the Yamaha Tenere 700 will be big sellers for smaller twin cylinder adventure bikes.

I can see the attraction to the DCT motorcycles.
For me a motorcycle is supposed to have a clutch.
BUT I have never ridden one. :rider:

Man...I didn’t realize these had been announced as 2019 models for the U.S. market. I’ve been lusting after a 690 Duke for quite a while but figure now I might as well wait until the 790 Duke is available for evaluation as well. The 790 Adventure throws another wrinkle in the works for me (though I’m guessing I’ll be priced out of the market for that one).

I will say that the 790 Adventure R is a great looking bike, but the standard Adventure doesn’t do it for me. The low fender throws off the look of the front end, and the whole things looks like a watered down imitation of an adventure bike (like the CB500X or something).

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
I think they said 417 dry with a 5.2 gas tank, so guessing 450-455 wet. (Just read on another forum 460 wet)

That makes it about 40-45 pounds lighter than the Africa Twin with the same horsepower numbers and a bigger gas tank.

Looks like a great bike. If it were DCT, I would be thinking hard about it.
So basically, it is what every KLR rider wishes a KLR could be :lol2: When I had my KLR, everyone was always trying to get better suspension, more power, better brakes, etc,... But in the end, they still just had a KLR. This is why so many former KLR owners now have KTMS :-P

Texasrider58

Forum Supporter
First Name
David
I think my issue is that I dream a lot. Always looking at bikes. Considering the Strom does what I need and the DRZ is a fun bike in the dirt, would the Adv 790 be a suitable replacement for both bikes ? A compromise. Don't think I will ever be serious about hard dirt riding anyways and I enjoy dirt and gravel roads along with pavement. My thinking may be off some, but I thought the 790 could be a replacement. Less tags, insurance and tires to buy and big improvement on performance. Seems everything I read seems to point toward the 790 being a very interesting machine.

I think my issue is that I dream a lot. Always looking at bikes. Considering the Strom does what I need and the DRZ is a fun bike in the dirt, would the Adv 790 be a suitable replacement for both bikes ? A compromise. Don't think I will ever be serious about hard dirt riding anyways and I enjoy dirt and gravel roads along with pavement. My thinking may be off some, but I thought the 790 could be a replacement. Less tags, insurance and tires to buy and big improvement on performance. Seems everything I read seems to point toward the 790 being a very interesting machine.

I would imagine that the 790 would do anything the Strom can but better, and would probably do 80% of what the DRZ can do. If you aren’t using the DRZ to its full capabilities I could see how the 790 would be a good replacement for both.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Maybe, Ready to Repair (more frequently)?
You've got to lay off that Honda Koolaid. This is a KTM thread so DCT crazy talk must be countered. :)

A manual clutch is way less likely to fail than an electronically controlled dual clutch with servo actuated shifting. DCT is not an automatic transmission with torque converters. It's literally two clutches that can wear and fail and the shifting is done with servo actuators. There is a LOT more to go wrong and the repair would be a LOT more expensive. In contrast, a KTM clutch replacement is about $100 in parts, you lay the bike on it's side and you can do it in about 30 minutes if you are slow.

Then again....clutches, whether single or dual are really extremely reliable parts and don't really fail much on their own. The main cause of clutch failure is human error....as such....I can see how people that aren't good at using one might incur more clutch repair costs, but those aren't the people that KTM typically is marketing to.

Personally...the only clutch I've ever had to replace was a dry clutch on a BMW R1100RT because the previous owner had the cable adjusted incorrectly and it was a dry clutch that is designed to not slip at all. Cable was too tight and clutch slipped all the time and wore itself out. Replaced the plates and adjusted the cable and it was great until I sold it 30K miles later.

Back to KTM, I torture tested my KTM 450XC-W clutch for a XC race season and a dozen races going up some crazy hills where you had to slip the clutch to get traction or to restart once you had lost momentum but it still didn't fail. This kind of stuff will burn up a DCT clutch too, it's just electronically slipping the clutch instead of manually.

Don't get me wrong...I think the DCT technology is great. My buddy has a 2018 Goldwing and it works very well. I'd consider DCT for a street bike or even a large ADV bike, but when you are in singletrack on tough trail.....I personally wouldn't want a DCT.

Personally, I think DCT would be a really bad fit for the KTM 790 Adventure.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
Personally, I think DCT would be a really bad fit for the KTM 790 Adventure.
I agree. Doesn't really seem to follow the KTM ethos.

Maybe one day I'll get the desire to have a non-DCT bike and take a look at the KTM stuff.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Doesn't a DCT freewheel going downhill if no throttle

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
You can put it in manual mode and leave it in a lower gear and it will engine brake. It truly is just 2 clutches instead of one so it's either in gear or in neutral just like a regular tranny.

But....if you leave in auto...it will upshift and not give as much engine braking as I like.

So...it doesn't freewheel, but if you were wanting 2nd gear to keep you slow, it might be in 4th and you'd feel like it was freewheeling without any engine braking if you left it in auto.

Last edited:
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
So doesn't free wheel like a Rekluse.
You can put it in manual mode and leave it in a lower gear and it will engine brake. It truly is just 2 clutches instead of one so it's either in gear or in neutral just like a regular tranny.

But....if you leave in auto...it will upshift and not give as much engine braking as I like.

So...it doesn't freewheel, but if you were wanting 2nd gear to keep you slow, it might be in 4th and you'd feel like it was freewheeling without any engine braking if you left it in auto.

Last edited:

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Seriously thinking about pre-ordering one.

Wonder how it would do on a 500-700 mile day and if I could replace my GS with it.

MisterK rode his NC700X on multiple 1000 mile days and long ADV rides. He said that bike would have been perfect with a bigger front tire and 10-20 more HP.

The KTM would seem to be exactly that.

Kevin wanted DCT so it won't work for him, but I'm thinking it would work pretty well for me.

Last edited:
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Sounds like it would work. Might depend on how much you like to carry.

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
Thinking R or non R version?

It would have been a nice bike on the Arkansas Dirt trip, for sure.

45 lbs less than an Africa Twin with the same horsepower sounds nice.

Last edited:

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
R version for sure.

Will be interesting to see how it carries luggage though.

That is the biggest reason that I may wait until it's out and a few people have put it through the paces in the real world.

Also....do we know if it has tube or tubeless tires? I really would prefer tubeless.

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
I would prefer tubeless, but my guess is no.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Thinking R or non R version?
Adventure R specs
Engine Type: Parallel Twin, 4-Stroke, DOHC
Displacement: 799 cc
Bore/Stroke: 88 / 65.7 mm
Starter: Electric; 12V 10Ah
Transmission: 6 Gears
Fuel System: DKK Dell’Orto, 46 mm Throttle Body
Lubrication: Pressure Lubrication with Two Oil Pumps
Cooling: Liquid Cooling with Water/Oil Heat Exchanger
Clutch: PASC (Power Assisted Slipper Clutch), Mechanically Operated
Ignition: Bosch EMS with Ride-By-Wire
Frame: CroMoly Tubular Steel, Engine as Stressed Member
Subframe: CroMoly Steel Trellis
Handlebar: Aluminum, Tapered, Ø 26/22 mm
Front Suspension: WP USD Ø 48 mm
Rear Suspension: WP Monoshock with PDS
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 240 mm / 9.4 in; 240 mm / 9.4 in
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 320 mm / 260 mm
Front/Rear Wheels: 2.50 x 21”, 4.50 x 18”
Front/Rear Tires: 90/90-21”; 150/70-18”
Steering Head Angle: 26.3º
Wheelbase: 1,528 mm ± 15 mm / 60.2 ± 0.6 in
Ground Clearance: 263 mm / 10.4 in
Seat Height: 880 mm; 34.6 in
Tank Capacity: 20 l / 5.3 gal
Dry Weight, Approx: 189 kg / 416.7 lbs
Adventure Specs
Engine Type: Parallel Twin, 4-Stroke, DOHC
Displacement: 799 cc
Bore/Stroke: 88 / 65.7 mm
Starter: Electric; 12V 10Ah
Transmission: 6 Gears
Fuel System: DKK Dell’Orto, 46 mm Throttle Body
Lubrication: Pressure Lubrication with Two Oil Pumps
Cooling: Liquid Cooling with Water/Oil Heat Exchanger
Clutch: PASC (Power Assisted Slipper Clutch), Mechanically Operated
Ignition: Bosch EMS with Ride-By-Wire
Frame: CroMoly Tubular Steel, Engine as Stressed Member
Subframe: CroMoly Steel Trellis
Handlebar: Aluminum, Tapered, Ø 26/22 mm
Front Suspension: WP USD Ø 43 mm
Rear Suspension: WP Monoshock
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 200 mm / 7.9 in; 200 mm / 7.9 in
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 320 mm / 260 mm
Front/Rear Wheels: 2.50 x 21”, 4.50 x 18”
Front/Rear Tires: 90/90-21”; 150/70-18”
Steering Head Angle: 25.9º
Wheelbase: 1,509 mm ± 15 mm / 59.4 ± 0.6 in
Ground Clearance: 233 mm / 9.2 in
Seat Height: 850 / 830 mm; 33.5 / 32.7 in
Tank Capacity: 20 l / 5.3 gal
Dry Weight, Approx: 189 kg / 416.7 lbs
The biggest difference other than a few farkles is the suspension. The R has better suspension for off road stuff, which also means a taller seat height. If you think you are going to be riding anything rutted, sandy, or rocky, the R version would be better. If that will be the exception to your normal riding, then the non R would probably be more desirable as its road manners might be a tad nicer. Although, many of the newer bikes handle so well anyway I don't know if the average bear would even be able to notice a difference between them on pavement :shrug: In the end, I think seat height might be the determining factor for a lot of riders :-P

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Spoked wheels in true offroad sizes for optimum tire choice.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Also....do we know if it has tube or tubeless tires? I really would prefer tubeless.
I've had both types on numerous bikes. For bikes where I am going into the unknown, I prefer tubes. Tubeless is nice when you are on pavement and potential help is not far away in the event you cannot get the tire to hold air. I recently got to experience a rider having issues with a tubeless tire on a Ducati Scrambler out in the middle of nowhere. Even though we got the tire plugged, the spokes were leaking so bad it couldn't go 10 feet before being totally flat. Had it been a tubed tire, we could have just put a new tube in any kept on without issue. Tubes may be a bit more of a pain under normal conditions, but when you absolutely have to keep going, I think they work in your favor.

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Good point, but dang I'd hate to change that GS tire in the boonies. Both suk.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Spoked wheels in true offroad sizes for optimum tire choice.

Yep...I know it's an 18r 21f and spoked but don't know if tubeless like the 1090R or tubed like the 690 enduro.

Honestly not even sure the 1090 is tubeless. The 1290 SA is, but not positive on the 1090R

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Was at Munn's yesterday and caught bits and pieces of conversation going on.

I believe Big dan said all their 790s were spoken for, already. Might be a tough ticket to get.

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Yep...I know it's an 18r 21f and spoked but don't know if tubeless like the 1090R or tubed like the 690 enduro.

Honestly not even sure the 1090 is tubeless. The 1290 SA is, but not positive on the 1090R
I know, just showing that was all the specs said, didn't mention either way on tubes.

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

I believe Big dan said all their 790s were spoken for, already. Might be a tough ticket to get.
I imagine they will move fast at Munn's some shops not so much. My local shop hasn't sold any last I checked, could have changed I guess.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins

Think I can get one at KTM of North Texas in Arlington. Maybe not...but Todd is good about finding models from other dealers that don't sell theirs if needed.

The real question is whether I want to buy when they are popular and full price or wait a year and get 2K off list. 2K to be first is kind of expensive....

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Think I can get one at KTM of North Texas in Arlington. Maybe not...but Todd is good about finding models from other dealers that don't sell theirs if needed.

The real question is whether I want to buy when they are popular and full price or wait a year and get 2K off list. 2K to be first is kind of expensive....
Being as you brought it up ... I've never liked 1st year models.
But, I'm not the breaking new ground type, either.
I like to watch others go through all the R&D.

:duck:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Are the new models prone to issues ?
There is a common perception that the first year of any new model of ANY brand is prone to bugs. So you wait for the second year when the manufacturer has supposedly solved all the bugs that were discovered by riders in the first year models. It is not always true, but it does sometimes happen. However, the BIG assumption is that the manufacturer will admit there is a problem and do anything about it... Witness the final drive failures on many BMWs that were so common during the early 2000s. BMW and the dealerships acted like each one was something totally new and never seen before even though the net was blowing up with people having failures. Then they redesigned them when the 1200 series motors first came out without actually admitting there had ever been a problem :roll: The first year of the new KLRs had an oil consumption issue. They ALL had the doohickey issue and Kawasaki NEVER addressed that in over 20 years of production :lol2:

misterk

Forum Supporter

Wonder how it would do on a 500-700 mile day and if I could replace my GS with it.

MisterK rode his NC700X on multiple 1000 mile days and long ADV rides. He said that bike would have been perfect with a bigger front tire and 10-20 more HP.

The KTM would seem to be exactly that.

Kevin wanted DCT so it won't work for him, but I'm thinking it would work pretty well for me.

Why would anybody want to buy a bike with an antique clutch? I am a modern lazy man, if it ain’t got DCT I am not in the least interested. LOL

The 790 is probably a blast to ride in the dirt, I dont think I would want to tour on one unless my name was Lyndon Poskit with Races to Places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
The 790 engine isn’t new?
I read KTM released the 790 Duke in Europe in 2018. Did they not?

"The Duke is KTM's first parallel-twin bike; previously the factory had produced only singles and V-twins. Released in 2018 for the European market"

It wouldn't be the first time the Internet lied, I guess.

On the other hand, if its true, the engine and other shared parts would at least have a year's worth of market testing.

Last edited:
I read KTM released the 790 Duke in Europe in 2018. Did they not?

"The Duke is KTM's first parallel-twin bike; previously the factory had produced only singles and V-twins. Released in 2018 for the European market"

It wouldn't be the first time the Internet lied, I guess.

On the other hand, if its true, the engine and other shared parts would at least have a year's worth of market testing.
It’d be interesting to know how many were actually released (sold) in Europe in 2018. I would wager not many. I’d also wager there are at least slight differences in the Euro & American models.

Interesting that it’s their first parallel twin.......I assumed it was a V-twin.