• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 Texas Adventure Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Riders,

This is our group ride report for the 2019 Texas Adventure Ride. Please post your pictures and stories from the rally.

I will get things started.

8005494042__9C8C1637-C164-474B-8CE7-7B4B0775CBE0-L.jpg

P5250015-L.jpg

P5250006-L.jpg

P5250030-L.jpg

P5250033-XL.jpg

2019052713164568-IMG_0138-XL.jpg

Great weekend get away. Really enjoyed both days of riding.

And enjoyed seeing some folks I hadn't seen in awhile-Iceman Jack and Big A.

Got to talk with some "regulars" - TGTUMBLEWEED, TheD-man (Doyle)-Sorry about your knee! Hope it's feeling better! And Ben-Madagwane-nice to put a face with the avatar!

Made acquaintances with our resident tri-national family - Gary (Thrasherg), Sylvia and Rebekah (sp?) Was terrific meeting y'all!

And noob (but not for long!) KerbCheck- oops Kürbczech! aka Tiffany. Glad you came out!

We had some bumps, bruises and breaks too. Injuries and damage to equipment are always a possibility and are never fun. Sorry to those whose adventure ended sooner than they had hoped.

Nice pose there Madagwane! So caz. 😎

This highlight reel must must have been good, by the looks on the faces.

My Group had a wonderful time in Junction. Thanks to Richard and Jt for all the hard work. We had lots of laughs and rode both routes to the end ...
Day One started off with a Bang and Day Two was really Awesome too... Rick M

I had a good time. The trail was very long, and remote, with little or no cell phone coverage in most areas. One thing is for sure, I will be buying a cell phone amplifier after this ride and bring an extra GPS.

When I wiped out on that pee gravel on a turn and bent my shifter, no one saw it and I never saw the group again after that. A bunch of riders behind me speeded past me and one guy did stop and help and a farmer and I was able to bend the shifter back good enough. I went ahead and road the rest of the track to LLano by myself, and then did the 80 miles back on the highway and never saw another rider after the last guy that helped, so I will be making contingency plans for the future in case I lose the group.

The problem with continuing the track with no one else riding, is I can't take the chance of wrecking worse being fairly new at this. I am thinking a track that long and remote, we need to setup a buddy system, or checkpoints, that way if someone gets lost we can find them. You never know, you could break a leg out there and be stuck out there for days like that guy that had to cut his arm off in that movie because there was no plan for checking in with people. The GPX file was spot on, and thats what I relied on after losing the group. I will be posting videos soon. I GoPro'd some of it and I think I got the wreck also.

I had a good time. The trail was very long, and remote, with little or no cell phone coverage in most areas. One thing is for sure, I will be buying a cell phone amplifier after this ride and bring an extra GPS.

When I wiped out on that pee gravel on a turn and bent my shifter, no one saw it and I never saw the group again after that. A bunch of riders behind me speeded past me and one guy did stop and help and a farmer and I was able to bend the shifter back good enough. I went ahead and road the rest of the track to LLano by myself, and then did the 80 miles back on the highway and never saw another rider after the last guy that helped, so I will be making contingency plans for the future in case I lose the group.

The problem with continuing the track with no one else riding, is I can't take the chance of wrecking worse being fairly new at this. I am thinking a track that long and remote, we need to setup a buddy system, or checkpoints, that way if someone gets lost we can find them. You never know, you could break a leg out there and be stuck out there for days like that guy that had to cut his arm off in that movie because there was no plan for checking in with people. The GPX file was spot on, and thats what I relied on after losing the group. I will be posting videos soon. I GoPro'd some of it and I think I got the wreck also.
That's very unfortunate! Glad you are ok!

Yeah, that's a bummer and failure of group-ride procedure. In a group, every rider is responsible for the guy BEHIND them. The way this should have worked was that the rider in front of you should have noticed after a few turns that you were not there. He turns around and finds you. The guy in front of HIM realized that he's not behind him, turns around and joins you two. And so on...

And yes, having 'route autonomy' is important - especially for new riders and in groups. Each person should be able to route themselves out of trouble at any point. Which, you did!

Yeh I found the video where I wrecked and when you look at it, the ground looks so perfect and smooth, and packed, its hard to figure out how I lost it, but when the bike is laying on the ground, the GoPro is right on top of the gravel and that red Texas gravel, whatever it is , its like little ball bearings. You can see where the front tire in the video just slides right out on a very gradual turn. I think its speed. I was going to fast around the curve. That little pee gravel can fool you into thinking its more packed than it is.

Attachments

• peegravel.JPG
    peegravel.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 300
Yeah, that's a bummer and failure of group-ride procedure. In a group, every rider is responsible for the guy BEHIND them. The way this should have worked was that the rider in front of you should have noticed after a few turns that you were not there. He turns around and finds you. The guy in front of HIM realized that he's not behind him, turns around and joins you two. And so on...

And yes, having 'route autonomy' is important - especially for new riders and in groups. Each person should be able to route themselves out of trouble at any point. Which, you did!

X2

Do I see two Honda Rebels? All kinds of bikes made the trip I see!!

Attachments

• maybe honda rebel.jpg
    maybe honda rebel.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 264

X3

I had a blast on this one. First time riding off-road, made it around the entire first day route, then caught a fever somewhere and had to cut the 2nd day short and have a friend come truck my bike back to Austin. When I moved here from WV, I wasn't sure if there was much to see in TX. Figure I got my answer.

Especially that stretch that goes into the valley of the Llano river... I think. Lots of rocky trails, river crossings (that aren't concrete) and the views are incredible.

I was wondering where you went. I stopped on Mill Creek Road to let everyone in our group catch up and to ensure we were all there. As I was waiting on the side of the road another group passed me. After the other group was gone and our group was all together I did a head count and realized we were missing one rider (you). I asked our group's sweep rider if anyone was behind him and he said no. Since you were running in 2nd place behind me prior to the stop I thought you got mixed in with the other group. We never saw you after that.

In any case, I'm sorry we lost you.

Getting left behind is rare, but it can happen despite all the best efforts. Please don't let this experience discourage you from adventure riding.

That sucks that you were left behind. It’s good to know it was a misunderstanding at least.

I also own a little Versys and have bent the shifter multiple times. I’ve been able to bend it back my stomping my foot on it. I’m curious to know the shape of yours. The brake pedal is trickier, always try to fall on the left side 😁.

Back