• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 Texas Adventure Ride

Anyhow, watch the last 1 minute of the video and maybe someone can tell me how not to go down like I did.
Since you asked...

I'll say I'm probably the least experienced and knowledgeable out of those replying, but that's not going to stop me from throwing out some wild speculation! :)

It seemed like you might have been holding your clutch and then gave it a good dose of throttle and came off the clutch quickly while at a bit of an angle, causing the back wheel to break loose. And instead of sensing that and reducing throttle a fuzz to get it back in line, you stayed in it, sending the back end around on you.

It sounded like you did the same thing in the washboard turn section a few moments earlier in the video, just this time it was enough throttle/angle to cause a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t tell them that. I’ve been wishin years for someone to be riding beside me. Just funnin around folks. [emoji2957][emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I can vouch for that he almost nailed me a couple of times when I was riding up next to him. But gettin dirty is all part of the adventure right Ken[emoji846]. I really had a great time last weekend.

Ya, I can vouch for that he almost nailed me a couple of times when I was riding up next to him. But gettin dirty is all part of the adventure right Ken[emoji846]. I really had a great time last weekend.

Yeah well, not cow patty dirty! Lol

With lunch out of the way, it was time to ride south on two exceptional dirt roads - White Mountain and Cedar Creek roads. For many years Cedar Creek has been my favorite dirt road in the hill country. It is a rare road with a wonderful mix of remoteness, scenery, and water crossings. However, I'm sad to report that the county has been making "improvements" and those fantastic low water crossings that Texas Adventure Riders have enjoyed, and photographed, so much over the years are now a thing of the past. The county has built up all but two of the low water crossings with "rock bridges", presumably in an effort to make Cedar Creek passable following heavy rain. The county has also widened the eastern end of Cedar Creek. I'm sure these improvements were welcomed by those who have land along Cedar Creek or White Mountain but from an adventure bike perspective they aren't improvements at all. Sigh. The scenery is still nice and it's still remote but the water crossings, which really made this road such an adventure, are no more. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. On with the report.

The first thing of note when riding south on White Mountain is the Hillbilly Hilton (that's what I call it - I'm sure the owner has a different name). It is the most elaborate deer stand I've ever seen and has become increasingly sophisticated over the past dozen years.
P5250050-XL.jpg

White Mountain road follows the highest land in the area and, thus, doesn't offer much in the way of elevation changes or dramatic scenery. But it's a really long dirt road and is always enjoyable to ride. It also has a lot of bump gates and makes a great training road for those deficient in their bump gate technique.
P5250057-XL.jpg

My group played leap-frog with this group of reprobate bikers. Does anyone know these miscreants?
P5250058-XL.jpg

This group of handsome fellows and beautiful women was the polished and urbane group I was leading.
P5250061-XL.jpg

As I mentioned, all but two of the low water crossings on Cedar Creek are now gone. But the two remaining crossings are still fun and a provide a great photographic opportunity.
P5250074-XL.jpg

P5250073-XL.jpg

He's down.
P5250068-XL.jpg

No harm, no foul. Pick her up and keep riding.
P5250069-XL.jpg

This is the second low water crossing.
P5250084-XL.jpg

P5250085-XL.jpg

P5250086-XL.jpg

P5250088-XL.jpg

After completing Cedar Creek Road, we ran a few miles of pavement south to Camp Wood for a cold drink, an ice cream, and a group discussion of what to do next.

Hey TrailBoss, I took the routes you sent me from Memorial Day weekend and we modified them a bit and rode this past Friday and Saturday. We had a great time riding these, especially the county roads that went into Rock Springs (900, 310, 350). We changed the route up a bit to miss Leakey, but went to Bullhead road then North and back south down Hackberry. We did have a couple that did their pearl diving routine in the 1st low water crossing that was slick.....
The next day we again modified the route to cut back and not go into Llano, but head down to what used to be Walden Plantation then through Castell and down Keyserville road. We then had to ride the James River road to say we did! We managed to only have a couple their that wanting to hone their diving skills!

Thanks again for the routes!

~Tony

I had been looking forward to this event for months. Excited to get out for a Spring weekend of riding dual sport on my 05 DRZ.

Thanks to JT and SpiritAtBay for inviting me to ride with them on Saturday.
I took a spill on the 2nd or third water crossing; it turned me 180 degrees and I was on my side in the creek.
I torqued my knee during that incident but continued with the group.
Great scenery, roads, and teamwork. I took it slow on the dirt and gravel; especially on the curves.
And I did not attempt any bump gates. Next time.
We cut things short due to time and headed back via paved in the afternoon.
Nice visiting with Ben, Lynn, and Dan at dinner.
I knew the knee would keep me from riding on Sunday.
I was bummed packing up Sunday morning.
Was home by 12:45 and my knee was a bit angry with the loading and unloading.
Knee did not get better so I went to the doc just to check on Friday. Minor Grade 2 tear/sprain to the LCL.
Continue rest, compression (brace), icing, and Advil.
May take 10 weeks to heal.

Tough with my new to me 2016 R1200GS sitting in the garage!

What’s next?

I need some lessons for dirt/gravel. I read in the thread above advice on taking curves off road etc and realize how little I know.
I will look for dirt MSF classes I guess.

Thanks to Richard and JT for putting on the event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would like to thank Richard and JT also. Putting on an event like this is no small task. It takes a ton of personal time to do all the routing, coordination and planning to pull off a fun event that is as safe as Adventure Riding can be.

Thank you again to Rich, JT and their families, I really appreciate it[emoji846]. I had a great time meeting and riding with Riders I had not met before.

Just curious...no one has mentioned the guys that were on Honda Rebels....did they complete the ride? How did they get on?

My group played leap-frog with this group of reprobate bikers. Does anyone know these miscreants?
View attachment 235374

Yup, I know them pretty well after that weekend. That's me on the left, closest to the middle (in the back). Left to right is... Big Dan, camo jacket guy, Me, Ed, Diaz, Guy, Jimmy and Dustin.

Shoutout to Diaz and Dustin especially, those guys are the heroes of our group.

Thanks for the help to everyone. I hammered out the 2 shifters I now own. The IMS is back and I like it best, thats the bend over type. I also pounded out the factory one, and I will keep it in the bike toolbag because it just allot quicker to change it out vs bend it back on the road.

I had been looking forward to this event for months. Excited to get out for a Spring weekend of riding dual sport on my 05 DRZ.

Thanks to JT and SpiritAtBay for inviting me to ride with them on Saturday.
I took a spill on the 2nd or third water crossing; it turned me 180 degrees and I was on my side in the creek.
I torqued my knee during that incident but continued with the group.
Great scenery, roads, and teamwork. I took it slow on the dirt and gravel; especially on the curves.
And I did not attempt any bump gates. Next time.
We cut things short due to time and headed back via paved in the afternoon.
Nice visiting with Ben, Lynn, and Dan at dinner.
I knew the knee would keep me from riding on Sunday.
I was bummed packing up Sunday morning.
Was home by 12:45 and my knee was a bit angry with the loading and unloading.
Knee did not get better so I went to the doc just to check on Friday. Minor Grade 2 tear/sprain to the LCL.
Continue rest, compression (brace), icing, and Advil.
May take 10 weeks to heal.

Tough with my new to me 2016 R1200GS sitting in the garage!

What’s next?

I need some lessons for dirt/gravel. I read in the thread above advice on taking curves off road etc and realize how little I know.
I will look for dirt MSF classes I guess.

Thanks to Richard and JT for putting on the event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

D-Man, let me know if you find any good technical riding classes as I’m interested as well.

D-Man, let me know if you find any good technical riding classes as I’m interested as well.

Not many choices that I can find:

I read that there are sometimes a intro dirt class at Time2Ride, but nothing on their website. http://www.time2ridetx.com/
I will try calling them.

Another one is based in Utah is super expensive but looks perfect.

Bill Dragoo (Oklahoma) specializes in big bike training which I am not interested in. His last class in this region of the country is this weekend.
Next class in OK is end of Sept.

This one is in Nevada but appears to be shut down for the summer.

The one convenience store in Camp Wood was busy with lots of motorcycle traffic. The weather was nice (88 degrees or so) and it was a long weekend, and so lots of riders of all types of bikes were out and about. They know that summer is coming and in the next week or two temps will be in the 90s every afternoon.

We took a short break, enjoyed a cold beverage, and discussed what we were going to do next. When I plan these routes I make the a bit ambitious. You can complete them in a day - if you start early, ride steady, and don't have any challenges along the way, which almost never happens. Though we had started early and had been riding steadily, our pace was not brisk and we lost an hour waiting on lunch back in Rocksprings. Ultimately, the group decided to split up. Some elected to head straight back to Rocksprings via pavement while a few of us decided to modify the route slightly. Our plan was to ride the Three Twisted Sisters and Bullhead Road but skip Hackberry Road due to concern about not being able to get it all in before dark. We said our goodbyes and my group headed east on Ranch Road 337.

Bullhead Road is just like I remembered it - fun and rocky. If you've never ridden it, I recommend doing so.
P5250096-XL.jpg

Upon finishing our abbreviated route, we made our way north on pavement, arriving in Junction about 6 pm. The evening consisted of cleaning up, eating, and then spending quality time tire kicking and story telling in the Best Western parking lot. Note to all - in the future if you trailer to an event, bring lawn chairs with you.

About 10 pm I headed off to bed, looking forward to more great riding tomorrow.

Bill Dragoo (Oklahoma) specializes in big bike training which I am not interested in. His last class in this region of the country is this weekend.
Next class in OK is end of Sept.

The techniques for big and small bikes are mostly the same. For the big bikes, you just have to be more aware of the greater weight and exaggerate body movements to allow for that weight. When I visited one of his classes recently just to check it out, there were several smaller bikes including a Kawasaki Sherpa 250. I would recommend his class for most any size "adventure" bike. You can take them in Oklahoma, but if you get enough folks, he will come to your area as well if you give him enough lead time to plan it.

The techniques for big and small bikes are mostly the same. For the big bikes, you just have to be more aware of the greater weight and exaggerate body movements to allow for that weight. When I visited one of his classes recently just to check it out, there were several smaller bikes including a Kawasaki Sherpa 250. I would recommend his class for most any size "adventure" bike. You can take them in Oklahoma, but if you get enough folks, he will come to your area as well if you give him enough lead time to plan it.

Appreciate the comments TM.
Bill’s expertise and niche is definitely big ADV bikes - certified BMW instructor, 2010 GS Trophy, all photos on website are big bikes, etc.
I am sure I could get something out of it, but the focus of the training would be on big heavy ADV bike handling. Given a choice, I would prefer a class more balanced.
However - it looks like he is the only game in town so to speak, so I may have to do it just because of that.

The bike spinning on its side is the Water Crossing Boogie... :lol2:

I can't see your body position obviously, but that was not a sharp corner. I would suspect that if you are new to dirt and coming from street riding, that you were not weighting the outside of the bike going through the corner. On the street, you lean your body to the inside of the bike in a turn because there is lots of traction and that lets you keep the bike more upright. On the dirt, you do the opposite. There is less traction and more of a chance that the front or back will break loose. Here, it looks like your back end just came around on you. On dirt, you want to lean the bike into the turn but keep your body up over the outside of the bike, to keep your weight over the contact patch of the tires or even further so that you keep the bike balanced. That way if the rear slides, the bike doesn't immediately fall down and you have a chance to recover the slide. Also, you steer into the slide, just like you do with a car. Lastly, it is critical to keep your eyes UP and looking down the road in the direction you want to go!

A great deal of dirt riding is counter intuitive. This is why good training is so important.

Probably this, no doubt,, but realize that pea gravel turns on crowned roads just after a rise with the suspension unweighted followed by washboard can get anybody.

When I got back on "dirtbikes" (haha, a KLR) in 2006 after many years off of bikes the first thing I did was go on a 400+ mile hill country dual sport ride. I survived it but was shellshocked by not knowing how to turn on gravel and by the end I was literally blowing corner after corner. So I bought a copy of Neduro's first "Dual Sport Riding Techniques" DVD and it was literally like the light went back on. I couldn't believe how much it helped me.... so if it's still out there, grab a copy.

Incidentally, it was fun to finally meet Ned last May and tell him this story, after all those years.

Justin

Back