• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 Travel and Memories thread

twtex85

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Adams
Starting to accumulate some shots from 2019 and thought I would add them in a New Thread to document the year in pics. Should be posting on a somewhat regular basis using both digital and analog media. Heres some from January. Enjoy.

fullsizeoutput_1a4d-X2.jpg

New Years Day
fullsizeoutput_1a27-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1a8a-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1a88-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1a93-X2.jpg

Went to a technical conference for work in Feb. Location was in Savanah Ga and I was able to walk about the city and get some shots while I was there. Spent some time in the historic downtown and in Bonaventure Cemetery A really great place to take some pictures.

Veterans area in the cemetary
fullsizeoutput_1ac3-X2.jpg

Some of the monuments in Bonaventure Cemetery.

fullsizeoutput_1ae0-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b0d-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1ad4-X2.jpg

Forsythe Park.

fullsizeoutput_1b39-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b3a-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b3d-X2.jpg

Shots of some of the old homes in the historic district

fullsizeoutput_1b43-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b44-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b47-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b4f-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b52-X2.jpg

Very nice pictures. I have to admit - First glance at your Savannah pictures with the Spanish moss, and for just a moment, I thought I was looking at Breckenridge Park in San Antonio.

Thanks Tim. Savanah is a photographers dream . When we were there the azaleas were just starting to bloom. They should be in full bloom by middle of March.

One of these days, my wife & I will get to make a few of our bucket list trips before it's too late. A trip across the deep south is on the list.

Some pics from a cruise up thru Alaskas Inner Passage we did earlier this month. You couldn't hardly take a bad pic with the beautiful scenery. Last stop was in Victoria BC and we visited Bouchart Gardens. The Gardens were incredible and I wish we could have spent more time there.

Played with some Tri X 400 black and white film this past weekend. All photos shot with Canon AE 1 program and various FD lenses. Not sure how I like them as I think I ended up overexposing the film a little and am going to try shoot another roll with some lower exposure settings. Overexposure tends to bring out the grain in Tri X more than underexposure from what I have read. If needed I can bring up the shadows thru post processing as Tri X responds pretty well to that. I metered the scene with a light meter and there was a difference between the camera reading and the light meter. The camera actually showed a longer exposure setting than what my meter. showed.
Not used to the grainy look after shooting digital and it being so clean a medium but that is what Tri X is known for. I am really enjoying experimenting with film again though and also shot some Portra 400 recently. I may post some pics from that also. To me shooting film is much simpler than digital. Basically you compose the shot, set aperture and shutter speed, focus and shoot. It makes you think more about the lighting and composition. Shooting Digital does have it's benefits though and to me is more forgiving since you can do a lot in post processing that you can't do with film.

fullsizeoutput_2375-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_237a-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2382-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2372-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2380-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2381-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_236e-X2.jpg

South Tex: Thanks. All of the shots were taken with a Nikon 5600 and kit lenses with VR. Regarding the garden shots we didn't arrive in Victoria BC until 7:00pm on the last day of the cruise. By the time we got off the boat and to the gardens it was almost dark. They had some pretty good lighting but all of the above garden shots were taken after dusk and a couple after it got completely dark with just the ambient lighting from the walkway. I did have a tripod so that was a life saver as I wouldn't have been able to get the pics without it . The Gardens were build on a old gravel quarry and they are spectacular. Here are a couple more shots from there.

South Tex: Thanks. All of the shots were taken with a Nikon 5600 and kit lenses with VR. Regarding the garden shots we didn't arrive in Victoria BC until 7:00pm on the last day of the cruise. By the time we got off the boat and to the gardens it was almost dark. They had some pretty good lighting but all of the above garden shots were taken after dusk and a couple after it got completely dark with just the ambient lighting from the walkway. I did have a tripod so that was a life saver as I wouldn't have been able to get the pics without it . The Gardens were build on a old gravel quarry and they are spectacular. Here are a couple more shots from there.

View attachment 235184

View attachment 235185

Buchart Gardens are amazing. Dianne and I happened upon it by happenstance one year have returned multiple times since. For those that haven’t had the opportunity, it’s worthy of a try to get there!

Should be able to get some camera time this week and am hoping to get some shots of 4th of July festivities . Maybe we can get a few people to post up their shots from 4th of July celebrations. In the interim here's a few shots I took at a Dallas Photography meet up at the Nasher Sculpture Gardens in Dallas a couple of weeks ago to keep the thread moving.

fullsizeoutput_23bf-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_23d9-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_23db-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_23d8-X2.jpg

Buchart Gardens are amazing. Dianne and I happened upon it by happenstance one year have returned multiple times since. For those that haven’t had the opportunity, it’s worthy of a try to get there!

Use to go there frequently in early and mid 80s while stationed at Fort Lewis. Fort Worden State Park and Port Townsend(film locations for Officer and a Gentleman) were always fun to visit as well. Tea at the Empress Hotel and shopping in Victoria rounded it out.

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I would see if anyone is keeping up with the Photography section of the forum. i have been shooting black and white films lately and also have dabbled in shooting one roll of slide film (velvia 100) . I now see why they say that you don't have much leeway with exposure on slide film. It doesn't do well with scenes that have both dark and bright areas or high contrast scenes. Unlike digital where you can correct it in post processing or do HDR and combine the shots into one the exposure on slide film is kind of a compromise between light and dark areas. With regards to Black and White film it is amazing to me that there is that much of a difference between the looks of black and white films. Anyway looking back I think I am making progress with my goals of learning. I have also started playing on Guru shots and it has helped me with composition and looking at things from different angles. It also has helped keep me motivated since there are some really good photographers from all over the world who post on that website. Check it out if you are not familiar with it. It is a free site and I have fun with it. Feel free to comment on the pics.

fullsizeoutput_2846-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2849-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2824-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2544-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2565-X2.jpg

Slide film pics:

fullsizeoutput_2863-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2852-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2856-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2869-X2.jpg

000558070019-X2.jpg

Back