• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 Around the Bend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I'm in on accommodations, sooo looks like I better get registered :-D

Welp, I'm in on accommodations, sooo looks like I better get registered :-D
Well... registration's not open yet. But we'll hold a spot for you.

Edit: my bad, registration is open.

Last edited:
Very interested in attending for my first time. Big Bend is on my bucket list. I would like to find a group to ride down from the Austin Area and split acommodations with. Not looking for anything fancy, I'd just rather not sleep in a tent and would like to be able to shower after a long day of riding.

Ok so I don’t see the registration link to pay Richard Gibbens. I see his email address but no registration link. I have my room already. Feb 26- March 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I don’t see the registration link to pay Richard Gibbens. I see his email address but no registration link. I have my room already. Feb 26- March 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send him the registration fee through paypal or regular mail per his instructions in the OP:

How to register:
Pay via paypal by sending payment to me at rgibbens@austin.rr.com.

Pay via the postal service by sending your payment to:
Richard Gibbens
12609 Red Bud Trail
Buda, TX 78610

There isn't a registration form. You can send payment to me electronically via paypal or with a check or money order through the mail. Whichever method you choose please include your name, t-shirt size, and email address. I will register you upon receipt of your payment.

I have updated the "how to register" section of the first post to clarify the registration process. My apologies for that section being too vague initially.

Thinking about it.

Edit...wait, NOT thinking of dirty bikers in vans....thinking of going to this rally... darn posting at same time

Last week I saw a van down by the river on 170 west of Lajitas about a mile into Presidio County. Seems like it hasn't moved in a while, I'm sure they'd be willing to rent it out.

Vacation time approved, I'll be off from Wed-Sun. 3 full days of riding! Or maybe one day of relaxing and hanging out.

I am in!

Planning to come in on Tuesday to do some hiking etc at the park.
Made reservations today at Chisos Mining but did not receive the email they promised (checked junk folder) with the details on how much and where to send the required check. Hmmm. Will need to call them again tomorrow.

Going to bring the DRZ for some off pavement experience but pretty intimidated by the tales of River Road, etc. Maybe I can find a class to take before to acquire some more good habit techniques to improve my chances!

Will bring the GS as well for some paved routes too!

Woo-Hoo!

I am in!

Planning to come in on Tuesday to do some hiking etc at the park.
Made reservations today at Chisos Mining but did not receive the email they promised (checked junk folder) with the details on how much and where to send the required check. Hmmm. Will need to call them again tomorrow.

Going to bring the DRZ for some off pavement experience but pretty intimidated by the tales of River Road, etc. Maybe I can find a class to take before to acquire some more good habit techniques to improve my chances!

Will bring the GS as well for some paved routes too!

Woo-Hoo!
River Road west can have some sandy patches that if you go too slow on will be a challenge. I rode it last March with my DR650 with fully inflated Shinko 700 tires without a problem. I've had more dirt oriented tires before, these are apparently 60 street / 40 off road tires. My bike is heavier than your DRZ so if you have decent tires it shouldn't be a problem. Rode Old Ore last week with a squared off and balding Shinko 700 rear and didn't have a problem except one section that was sandy and I was going too slow. I'm hopefully getting a new tire this or next week.

A few years back River Road got a good rider on a 1200GS a few times, at least that's how many times I helped him pick it up. Bike was fully loaded for camping too. The last time it went down he got trapped under it and I lifted it without help, was pretty tired at that point. I would suggest a lighter bike. After the sandy part he was fine the rest of the way.

If you don't want sand or very little stay on River Road east and Glen Springs roads. Old Ore is more challenging, Black Gap is the most challenging if you have little off road experience. I did BG once and am fine not doing it again. Old Ore is fun though and scenic. Mariscal Mine is a neat place to visit.

I need to make reservations, would also hope to be staying at Chisos Mining Co. I've stayed there 3 times before. Going out Wednesday if it works out, going home Sunday.

There was a very experienced hiker that died a few weeks back and another that made the local news a few months ago. Speaking last week to a fellow I know that is involved with the Terlingua EMS station (he's on the board of directors) said there's a lot more of that going on than makes the news. Hydration is key as you probably know, even in cooler months. Still lots of folks hike without issue. The nearest hospital is in Alpine, 90 minutes away. There is a Paramedic in Terlingua which is nice, they're more qualified than EMT's.

Maybe I can find a class to take before to acquire some more good habit techniques to improve my chances!
Find a friend (or local Adv/TWTer) and hit the sandy roads up by Castell. Riding in sand is a skill, and once learned, it's fun. Until you learn it, it's a huge amount of work and potentially dangerous. I consider myself "learned" and still had a small off last time I did River Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back