• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 Around the Bend

Status
Not open for further replies.
In and registered. Sad the 500 was a no go, but looking forward to seeing some new-to-me Texas territory!

Sweet something I can use as a target to throw some rocks at with either the husky 501 or the ktm 1090

I am hoping to mix it up with big and small bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered and ready, going for the first time in my 1200GS. Will be riding from Houston. Look forward in meeting you all.

I just remembered I need to register and pay Rich, we're only a month away!

Jeff - thanks for the advice. I am all for getting proper training for off pavement techniques; esp sand! I have recently researched for dual sport class or instructor within reasonable range with no luck. Considered taking the DRZ to Dragoo big adv bike classes but schedule has not worked.
Sent an email to Hidden Falls today to see if they know of anyone.

As for me knowing someone that has the goods and is willing to take a day to tutor me: I don’t know anyone and that is not something I am comfortable asking the forum.

But I will step up looking for You Tube videos for off pavement riding techniques; there are some good ones out there - just not my preferred way to try to learn!

If possible, send me details via DM on the location of sand you mentioned near Castell!
Hi DM, closer than Castell is the area west of Round Mountain bound by Hwy 71 and 3347 also called Althaus-Davis road. Going west from Round mntn. turn west on 3347 then north on Burnet co. Moss RD. (310A) that’s dirt. Turn west on 310 for several miles and down and back on Cr 308B. This road is hard packed decomposed granite (dog) with 1/2 to 1”loose on top, around two Sandy creek crossings it gets slightly deep and is a great trainer. The road dead ends at a ranch house and the owner doesn’t mind mc down the road too much. If you see him give him a wave. Returning to 308, west again then left on 315. This is the jewel. Pavement for a couple of miles then 5 miles of gcd, sand, hard packed dirt combinations to the wider Sandy Creek crossing. Do both crossings and return for a double dose. That’s my trainer, I’m in Spicewood and ride that every 6 weeks or so. Always a blast. Pm me, I’m available most times.

All - I will be bringing a non-riding buddy of mine; literally an old Army buddy. He has never ridden before. I will be out riding but I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations or ideas on helping him to get familiar with the hobby. Perhaps there are some folks who will be doing some overlanding or exploring that I could hook him up with during the days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is plenty of stuff to do in the area, especially BBNP, hiking trails in the park. Museums too. Is he gonna try to ride at all. If so, the Maverick Rd just inside the West entrnce is a great easy dirt/rock road.

There is plenty of stuff to do in the area, especially BBNP, hiking trails in the park. Museums too. Is he gonna try to ride at all. If so, the Maverick Rd just inside the West entrnce is a great easy dirt/rock road.
I might try to see if I can give him some instruction, but he's a complete novice. No experience at all. I think I am going to have him focus on BBNP and the Museums. Thanks!

Well if you have an extra, small cc bike he can ride, this will be a perfect place for him to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back