• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 Around the Bend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to BBNP three times on my XT and loved it. It's the perfect bike for me in the national park. If you plan to do any highway riding, those long rolling hills will be disappointingly slow.
i know, hahaha....only planning on tarmac from one trail to the next if i have my way... prepped both... the XT is just so much fun, like a street legal trials bike...

debating on bringing my light, modded XT... it's just so much fun...haven't been to big bend so don't know whether it would be worth bringing or just staying with the DRZ only...
plenty of dirt experience, just never been to big bend.

any advice from those who have?
This will be my 5th trip, all with the DR650. I've ridden all the dirt roads in the NP and it did fine, never went down. I do wish it was lighter sometimes but most of the time I had no issues. At about 360 lbs plus my 200 lbs plus my gear it seems to be middle of the road for the dirt portions. It does perfectly fine on pavement like riding to Presidio, etc, since it can cruise at highway speeds though I prefer to keep it about 55.

Last edited:
Another tip: there is a good pizza joint called Long Draw Pizza which is just past Terlingua town heading toward Lajitas. It isn't far and well worth it. They're only open for dinner though, hours are 5-8:30pm. We went there one night because the Starlight Theater was packed, which is becoming normal. I'm to the point where I've been to the Starlight enough times and it's so busy now I don't care to go anymore, waiting an hour or more for a table is too much. There are more places popping up around Terlingua and Study Butte so plenty of options.

I plan to bring my swimsuit and check out the hot springs by Rio Grande Village in the NP. Haven't been and don't know if I'll make any more trips to Big Bend after this.

Dont forget about La Kiva, one of my favorite places. Been going there for 25 years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hot Springs are the Langford Hot Springs? How much $? Is it a private experience or more like a pool? Can you ride all the way there or do you need to hike?

Last edited:
i know, hahaha....only planning on tarmac from one trail to the next if i have my way... prepped both... the XT is just so much fun, like a street legal trials bike...
The XT is like a big pit bike... very agile. I expect you'll have a great time of you take it. The park's highest speed limit is 45 so you'll get 70+ mpg on the pavement.

It's not uncommon to see DRZs there too and I think those riders have a good time.

Please post pics and reports here:

Anybody with passports want to go Manuel Benavides Mexico tomorrow? I have not been but would like to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back