• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 Kawasaki KLX 230 Dual Sport

Reaction score
This might be just the thing for rides that are more dirt than tarmac and hitting some dedicated trails. New engine... Six speed for HWY....less than 5k...seems too close to the 250 but I guess they know what they are doing. Maybe it will get a 450 class big brother?

It would be nice for local day rides or maybe trailering somewhere and then doing day rides. I would not want to try to load it up and do a long trip on it though. That said, you CAN do it.

It would be nice for local day rides or maybe trailering somewhere and then doing day rides. I would not want to try to load it up and do a long trip on it though. That said, you CAN do it.
Nope keep the big bikes for the long hauls...seems like a good bike to trailer over to do rides with the Bastrop guys or other groups doing more intricate dual sport rides. When in SHNF you could hit some of the MX trails as well.

I haven't had the opportunity yet to do more than a day ride anyway. I figure the Strom will be my go to for long rides or rides where I'm not sure how much dirt we'll find. I'm having alot of fun exploring and do want a smaller bike to try some of the more remote and technical looking roads/trails I've seen. Some roads I don't take when alone just because of the difficulty of picking up +500lbs over and over and over and.....u get the picture.šŸ¤£šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

It's air cooled to which is a nice touch in simplicity. If it's a precursor to things to come for a KLX450 and a new KLR, I think something interesting will come out of it.

I bought a KLX250S last year and if this was available back then, I would still have gone with the 250S. I'm not fond of air-cooled bikes. We still have the KLX140L and in stock form that sucker runs so lean it is very difficult to start. Even after starting, it takes a long while before the engine full warms up and the engine finally runs well. I had to do a stage 1 jet kit to make it tolerable. At least Kawi fuel injected this 230.

Why not do a 350 or 400 single instead? I would've gotten that instead in a heart beat. My guess is that bump in displacement is where the 250S is headed. This 230 is just pre-filling the spot soon to be vacated.

Hmm, interesting they would build this along side the 250. 293lbs for an air cooled 230cc is not light either...odd.

I find it interesting that you use R&D funds to build a new engine that is only 20cc different than your current engine. While trying to sell both bikes. @MidlifeCrisis I can only think there must be some merit to what you are saying about the 250 heading upstream. The article mentions that this engine has more low end grunt than the current 250 and is geared better for the hwy. Sounds like a replacement to me as well.

I have my fingers crossed that more companies give the DRZ400SM some competition. If I had to upgrade right now, I wouldnā€™t know what to get

I have a 2002 KTM 250 EXC. It is bad to the bone, fast, fast, fast... I wish it was the 200.
The old KDX 200 was a great bike, I like this 230 option. In the woods, light, quick, nimble = fast and fun to ride.

Kinda like an injected Super Sherpa. Should be a solid little trail bike.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

To the OP, you do know about the XT250, WR250R and CRF250L's right? They're already out there on the used market.

Yes...but some folks want almost the same price for their used bike....I'll take the new one that I don't gotta rebuild....

sort of a reverse of what honda did?? Honda had a 230 air cooled two valve bike and then came out with a 250 water cooled four valve bike.

Back