• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 390 Adventure

Here's a full test video from a dirt bike rider
Here's what the test guy, Jimmy Lewis, has to say about
fuel econ
air filter
footpeg position
ride by wire throttling
cast wheels
THE SEAT HEIGHT

^^^^ Best test ride review...Jimmy Lewis is top notch not only rider but ride interpreter who explains things brilliantly.

Just finished it. Great video. That pretty much sums it up.

It's not a bike for folks that grew up racing dirt bikes, but for anyone else looking for a relatively inexpensive small ADV bike, its a home run in the bang for the buck category.

If I didn't already have the 790 R, I'd get one.

I think they said they weighed it at 387 lbs with a completely full tank.

IIRC, that's about 82 lbs lighter than the 790 R.
And about 20lbs heavier than a DR650...

And about 20lbs heavier than a DR650...
Personally, I wouldn't put a DR650 in the same class as this bike.

DR650 is quite a bit more dirt than street IMO, this is the opposite, quite a bit more street than dirt.

You could easily and enjoyably commute 100 miles a day on the KTM and then turn around and explore some dirt roads on the weekend.

I don't think the DR650 would work nearly as well in that situation.

I still want a 790 R. I won't buy another bike (maybe trials) without a button, Never. Won't ever buy another bike that's not water-cooled either. I thought I was well on my way to a 790 R but the virus got the bike!

Very good test, that puts the bike just where I want it. I have done the MX thing, and that’s in my past, so with a different set of pegs, and bar risers, it will be fine.:rider:

Guys... some good news for the standup, don't let off the gasss! dirtriders....
go to the 7 min 30 sec. mark in this vid, listen to what the KTM marketing mgr has to say at the 8 min mark.

🤩🥰🥰🥰🥰
FB_IMG_1588345962258.jpg

That'll be big bucks which kinda defeats the purpose of small bike.
Does it really though? If you are in the market for a lighter ADV but want all the bells and whistles of the big guys then this may be for you. I would buy it. Especially for BDR type riding. Honestly, I think it would work most rides except long highway stints.

For me it does, the more you load it up, heavier it gets and already underpowered. I'd go 690 for the money. This is an entry level machine to me.

I'm saying that producing the motorcycle like your picture shows, would be more about the looks of a rally bike, less about the functionality of a rally bike. I say that because I just dont see anyone taking a 373cc, 37hp, 390lb bike to rally race. yes, they'll spend 10 grand on the suspension and gas tank and engine, and still wont be able to compete.

EDIT: to be clear, I'm no snob. I love my Himalayan, and have no allusions as to my off road prowess, and the need to improve.

Last edited:
I'm saying that producing the motorcycle like your picture shows, would be more about the looks of a rally bike, less about the functionality of a rally bike. I say that because I just dont see anyone taking a 373cc, 37hp, 390lb bike to rally race. yes, they'll spend 10 grand on the suspension and gas tank and engine, and still wont be able to compete.

EDIT: to be clear, I'm no snob. I love my Himalayan, and have no allusions as to my off road prowess, and the need to improve.
No doubt, there a bunch of rally looking bikes out there, but not many rally racers. So thusly, it's the rally looks that are important!🤣🤣🤣🤣

What's wrong with it functionally? Its getting good reviews for the most part. If folks can ride around the world on a Himalayan, this thing should be just fine!
Yep, and people want cheap-er, got to compromise somewhere

No doubt, there a bunch of rally looking bikes out there, but not many rally racers. So thusly, it's the rally looks that are important!🤣🤣🤣🤣

most people who buy this style motorcycle are interested in performance, not just looks. And obviously the OEM's don't think they could sell a factory bike set up like that, or they would be at the dealers. The segment of the riders that alters the bike purely for looks doesnt have much cross-over to the segment of riders who ride this style bike.

most people who buy this style motorcycle are interested in performance, not just looks. And obviously the OEM's don't think they could sell a factory bike set up like that, or they would be at the dealers. The segment of the riders that alters the bike purely for looks doesnt have much cross-over to the segment of riders who ride this style bike.
If someone makes that bike, I will buy it....

If someone makes that bike, I will buy it....

KTM offers a rally replica $30,000. I'll be waiting to see it.

KTM offers a rally replica $30,000. I'll be waiting to see it.

I've seen that one....we are talking about the 390 there! I'm hoping that the 450 Enduro slated for next year turns out to be pretty cool

Back