• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 390 Adventure

According to my local dealer,, MSRP is whopping $6 more than dealer invoice. He normally doesn't charge any dealer prep fees but said he has to on this one or he'll actually lose money selling them as it takes more than $6 to uncrate it and make ready for sale.

Dealers do get clawback as well, but that is paid 3 months later and he'd be at a loss position until then.

Bottom line, looks like KTM didn't leave a lot of profit for the dealer on this one. As such, you might see them priced a bit higher as dealers try and make something on them.

Went by Cycle Shack North yesterday to check out the 390 adv. They had two on their website showroom inventory listed at 7049.00. When I got there they had none and said they would not have any for 6 weeks or so. Is this strange to list them , I not upset or mad I just really wanted to sit my butt on one and see if it could work for me. List price is also a little high.

Went by Cycle Shack North yesterday to check out the 390 adv. They had two on their website showroom inventory listed at 7049.00. When I got there they had none and said they would not have any for 6 weeks or so. Is this strange to list them , I not upset or mad I just really wanted to sit my butt on one and see if it could work for me. List price is also a little high.
Did they not get any yet or already sold? Seems weird to show website if not there.

Here’s a short comparison: as I have both a 790 standard, and a 390 adventure.
power: goes to the 790, of course.
Weight: 390 for sure.
Size: almost the same.
Turning on paved roads: goes to the 390 much less counter steer.
Comfort: 😢 they both have KTM seats, which are hard for at least 1,000
Ergonomics: you sit on the 390, and you sit in the 790.
Off road is up in the air, as I’m not much of an off road rider. But I would think the 390 would be easier to pick up.
Top speed: 790, as the 390 will be limited to about 95 mph, but more than enough.
Cruising: 390, wind screen directs the air over your helmet, while on the 790, there is more buffeting.
I love them both, they both could be an only bike, adv touring bike, or just a commuter bike.

Yes, just turned 1,000 miles, breaking in nicely, the seat is softening up, quick shifter getting smoother. Highway best about 70 mph, need to downshift if passing from 70 to 75 mph. Most comply at 60 to 65, on back roads. Cornering on pavement will take as much lean as you want. Great on gravel, not so great on sand (tires). I love it more every day, but for long trips, 1,000 mile plus, I would take my 790.

I ran up behind a pair of these today heading south in Granbury, shocked one of the riders as a 790 went by the other direction his head swiveled watching it and he was apparently unaware there was someone right behind him.

Having owned a 390 Duke and the 390 Adventure, I totally disagree with this video.

So how tall is the rider saying the ergonomics are bad? I have seen him slam other brands as well. I would consider the 390 adv. for the price.

If your going to ride in the dirt a lot, bar risers would help, and lots of people put pivot pegs on them. A lot of people think adventure bikes are dirt bikes.............not so, adventure bikes are road bikes that will work off road, as on gravel or grated roads. Personally I love the bike, very good all arounder.

What about the slanted foot pegs tho? Is he making a bigger deal than it is? To me that seems like a very solid argument of why this bike is less ADV than say, a Versys X300. In fact it made me cringe.

I don’t know if pivot pegs is the answer since I don’t like those.

So how tall is the rider saying the ergonomics are bad? I have seen him slam other brands as well. I would consider the 390 adv. for the price.

I recall him saying he's 6'2" in other videos. Regardless, pretty tall by most peoples standards.

From what I can tell he slams on everyone where he thinks they deserve it since he's not sponsored by any of them. I usually find his reviews refreshingly honest compared to most. That doesn't mean I agree with him but he speaks his mind and I can respect that.

I'm sure someone will make dropped pegs corrected. The price leaves room for improvement like all bikes need. The suspension did look mushy to me

I'm sure someone will make dropped pegs corrected. The price leaves room for improvement like all bikes need.

For sure. It seems like the 390 ADV could be an excellent bike with a little tweaking. I certainly considered it but for about the same price as a new one I could get a very lightly used CB and add a 2" suspension lift plus 19/17 spoked wheels. So I did. It's a darling of a motorcycle now but I'm certainly biased (and the wheels aren't even on yet). The proven reliability and the parallel twin were big factors too. Plus, I didn't think the little bit of extra weight was that big of a deal on this class of bike (still don't).

Oh he bashed the 1250 shift cam so he also hammers BMW. He almost dislikes all bikes, he is an interesting cat making money riding motorcycles.

Oh he bashed the 1250 shift cam so he also hammers BMW. He almost dislikes all bikes, he is an interesting cat making money riding motorcycles.

He points out things he doesn't like but he almost always talks about what he does like about a particular bike. Nothing wrong with that and it certainly doesn't make him biased in my mind. I can point out things I hate about every bike I own and have owned.

Plus he gets points for saying the XR650R is the greatest dirt bike ever made... or something to that effect.

Back