• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 390 Adventure

I like my 250 XCF-W a lot, but some of the stuff I see on it are just not what I'd do, engineering wise, if I care at all about reliability. Take the fuel pump assembly, for example. Cost me $300 to change out a very low mile one, because I had left the fuel tank mostly empty over a couple of off-seasons. The connectors and pins corroded so badly and one of the spades was a dinky little copper pin that it was FUBAR. I soldered the replacement leads, because none of the internal parts are available individually, so if some small part like these pins fail, the whole thing is trash anyway.

Personally, I would've made those connectors and pins out of something other than tin-plated copper and much beefier, at the cost of 0.5 g of weight penalty and 18.7 cents additional cost.

Finding the perfect adventure bike reminds me of a poem I read in High School English in 1966.

will o' the wisp. An unattainable goal. ... Trying to catch a will o' the wisp is impossible, much like trying to catch lightning in a bottle, and so the phrase came to mean anything that can't be done.

I just love how "middle weight" keep creeping up in cc size. There was a time when 300-400cc was considered middle weight. By the time I got into riding, middleweight meant 500-600cc, which persisted for the longest time. Then the Great Displacement Creep started in the new Century. Now even 955cc is considered a middle weight. :shock:

I agree, the KTM mashing wears thin especially from folks that don't even own them. With modern bikes very rare we pull anything out of the woods not running. Numerous s/x championships, almost every offroad championship belongs to them. Go to an offroad race see what's lining up. Pretty good for unreliable machines. smh
The 390 is known to have head issues, cooling issues, and stalling issues. I wanted to buy an RC390, but won't because of the known issues.

379.2 pounds wet is intriguing me. The 33.5" seat height is high for my legs but the lower weight somewhat compensates for that. According to Rider Magazine it will arrive in the U.S by March or April. The KLR is sixty pounds heavier but paid for.

379.2 pounds wet is intriguing me. The 33.5" seat height is high for my legs but the lower weight somewhat compensates for that. According to Rider Magazine it will arrive in the U.S by March or April. The KLR is sixty pounds heavier but paid for.
I thought the same about ht and wt. I chkd the 310GS specs and they were nearly the same. Both bikes are high for me too. That being said, the Himalayan leg fit was closer to working than the 310GS but it was also 50lbs heavier. Curious how the 390 will sit and feel when it gets here.

Those bug looking lights work really well at night on the 390 Duke.

Yeah, I've been hearing their headlights are pretty good. Function over design, I guess.

The problem I've noticed with the 300-400cc 'adventure' bikes I've seen so far is ground clearance. I guess it makes sense to keep them low to the ground for the beginner market, but wish one had proper suspension. An 'R' version like the article mentions, with spoked wheels and proper suspension would be great.

What's proper in this context?

At least similar to the 790 ADV R.

Edit: scratch that, it seems the ground clearance is similar to the GSA. And .2 inches taller than the Versys X300. Of course I would like more to make it more dual sport.

Last edited:
Back