• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 390 Adventure

Fwiw... ktm made the 1190 a dog under 3500 rpm to deal with carb. Above that was better and the real fun began somewhere north of 6k. A company called rottweiler came up with a kit to richen things up at lower rpm. Huge benefits. Is the 390 suffering from low end starvation? Does anyone have a work around? Just curious...

I have been on a bike since 14 and learned early on that I rode pretty aggressively ,now that I am 60 not as much but it is still hard to buy a new bike and ride it hard and lay it down, sink it in a mud hole or whatever, hate to put the first ”scratch” on it.
That's me to a T! Especially the part about damage. I sort of went down once on the Tenere in a mud hole in Arkansas. The only time in the 5 years I rode it and there was a small wall on the side of the mud hole that I kind of rolled off on to Ended up with a brown stripe from shoulder to foot and the bike was only over 45 degrees. 2WheelNut has a picture somewhere. So yes, worried about the bike all the time but I'd bet I don't bounce as well as once did.

6'4"... good luck for sure. I was trying to figure out the standing issue too. I think the pegs are a little high is the main issue. Also the 390 is pretty flat across the top which is different than most adv bikes these days. The T7 being a classic example of how far the top of the tank is from the top of the seat. So the 390's triple clamps are much lower than its competitors. Shame as I like the bars right where they are while seated.

I was very impressed with the way the 390 can rev and not feel like your killing the motor. Very smooth. I used to have a DRZ that had way more torque but at a certain point up the rev range, things really got buzzy. I'm sure it would run there for a long time but it felt like you could harm the motor over time if you left it up there. BTW, typically I tend to short shift and lug a motor more than I rev it out.

Is the 390 suffering from low end starvation? Does anyone have a work around? Just curious...
Everything seems to be a little lean these days for emissions of course, but I don't think its a big starvation problem ( I reserve the right to 100% wrong). Its the motor they use in the RC and Duke both road bikes. I'd heard two owners say they reached speeds in the mid to upper 90's. That's quite a bit out of an 373 cc adv bike. The old saying of, "You can either have low end or top end but not both" may not be as true today (VVT, Power Valves, etc) but I think applies here.

I'd be curious if someone came out with a reflash sometime.The only time I did a reflash it made a noticeable difference to my Tenere. I think for people wanting to get dirty, going down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket would be the most effective and certainly be cheap.

Yes, I think I'd be happier on a T7 but I just don't have the discretionary resources at the moment. My ultimate bike would be the 790R but that's quite a bit more still. I could have a lot of fun on a 390 and put hardly any new money (except farkles) into purchasing one. The only problem is I'm competitive person and my good riding buddy rides a 790R. I just can't spot 2WheelNut that much. :suicide:

I sat at home today debating with myself all day about going over to SLM in Arlington and getting a 390. The 390 didn't win today, but next week? The 390 really does hit above it's weight class.
I do appreciate it. If I lost you on the 390 when I was on the 790R, I'd probably have to just give up. :)

And it's a real possibility...

I prefer you on the Sup10...then I can say you lost me but had the faster bike.

Just did 1.5 hours on the KTM ergo seat for the 390 ADV. It was really too short of a ride to tell a difference. Seemed better, but not really sure at this point.

Next week I'll likely do a longer ride and have a better idea.

What made you choose that instead of Seat Concepts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you thought about the ktm 500?
Mitch has one for sale that he bought new last last year.
He is in Whitney sonits close to go look at.

Screenshot_20210322-102437_Messages.jpg

Quick shifter works now. Took it back last week and had the QS reflashed/programmed and it works as it should now.

Also added, risers, pegs, and skid plate.

I purchased a 390 adventure almost a month ago. What a fun little bike. I took it down to the three sisters last weekend in the hill country and did 300 miles in one day riding 335,336,337 and surprisingly did not feel beat up at all. Very comfy bike considering what it is. i Was still under 620 miles break in so kept the rpms down. I had the initial service done and quickshifter activated this week. Took it for a ride tonight and wow it does wake good with rpm‘s up to 8,000. Peppy little motor for sure. Quick shifter not nearly as nice as my BMW. I sold my CRF 250L and I like this bike much much more. Although I am sure the CRF250L is better off road. But it was pretty awful on road And I did not like it on pavement. The KTM should be great for dirt roads and light off-road.

We must accept Jarrett may have figured it out. Unless Triumph comes out with a small bike.

Back