• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 390 Adventure

Which Strom do you have?

2013 650 Adventure ABS

Kinda related so I thought I'd throw this in here. With all the hubbub surrounding the 390 ADV launch, I wonder if Kawasaki is seriously contemplating a Versys 400x. Seems that might really help the Versys X recapture some of the KLR 650 market. I heard rumors of a Versys 400x but Kawasaki has gone deathly quiet since killing the KLR....more competition is better for us!!

Interesting....I've seen all kinds of great reviews on Versys-x that say a larger engine would make the Versys a home run! Just goes to show it comes down to be individual preference.

The one time I met Jarret seem to remember he was taller than I. That would put y'all in the same airspace so you could be cramped too. The kaw vx seemed an ok fit to me at 5.11" other than it's hard a.. seat. Definitely not as massive as our Strom s.

I lowered my pegs on my Strom so at least that part is Goldilocks. :lol2:

This is an older rendering of what a Versys 400x might look like. Between this and the rendering of a KLX 700 atleast the general public is giving Kawasaki some good ideas.

I got a chance to play with the 390 ADV this morning. We coulnd't ride it, but anything else.
It's physically bigger than I thought it would be. Was comfy to sit on, good seat. comparable to the 790 ADV S I rode. great balance. Did have the GPS mount point like the bigger bikes, over the tft screen.
Sadly a few point showed that it was built to a price point. Where the hand guards clamp to the bars is cheap and ill fitting, same for the crash bars on the frame. the large plastic panels on the side felt cheap. They said MSRP of $6,200
I think if street prices around 5500 then it will be super popular. part of me wants to replace my himalayan with one, but the added cost, and cast wheels kill that idea

I got a chance to play with the 390 ADV this morning. We coulnd't ride it, but anything else.
It's physically bigger than I thought it would be. Was comfy to sit on, good seat. comparable to the 790 ADV S I rode. great balance. Did have the GPS mount point like the bigger bikes, over the tft screen.
Sadly a few point showed that it was built to a price point. Where the hand guards clamp to the bars is cheap and ill fitting, same for the crash bars on the frame. the large plastic panels on the side felt cheap. They said MSRP of $6,200
I think if street prices around 5500 then it will be super popular. part of me wants to replace my himalayan with one, but the added cost, and cast wheels kill that idea
Wait....where are you? How did you get access? Talk!!!!🤯

5500 street with 1k for the spoke wheels option and I'm all over it. What if you just change the hand guards to barkbusters?

Wait....where are you? How did you get access? Talk!!!!🤯

KTM has trucks going around with test rides. Mine was San Diego (actually about 30 minutes east of town in the hills, thankfully)
look here
Sadly nothing anywhere near Houston.

I would change the handguards to rigid ones, not thin plastic. cast wheels would be ok for most riders, but I'm not a great rider so I need all the help I can get not to damage anything

If it's actually at TMS, then it's north Fort Worth, not Arlington. and surely not in Denver where their map shows.

copy and paste into google map
33°02'09.3"N 97°16'54.8"W

I’m 6’1 with long legs and I did get a taller seat, bar risers, and a peg lowering kit for the Versys. It was okay after that.

After owning both a lightweight adventure bike and a heavy one, my conclusion is that the way to approach dirt is to get a middleweight/heavy one for the easy rides (class 1/2 roads) and a dual sport for the nastier stuff (tall suspension, crashable plastics, light).

i know. just for giggles, open that one, then look at the map they have at the bottom of the page. it comes up Denver.
Yeah, I clicked on several others and it came up with a correct map. At least it was the correct state.

At a little over $6,000 it was built to a price point. I wonder if this bike could replace my V-Strom in the back of my pickup behind my motor home. I need a bike I can get up and into a 4X4 by myself and ride it comfortable down the highway to get to the mild trails and dirt roads. I wouldn't need the 350/400 Enduro I asked about in the other thread.

Back