• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 TORCS

And as a disclaimer, I can ride fast, but I don't do it well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And as a disclaimer, I can ride fast, but I don't do it well

I’ll vouch for that. Passed you more than once while your sitting still or picking up your bike :rofl:

I think @Mudslick nailed it. No wonder Roczen does good at SX but fades at MX. that’s too much bike for longer races.

Several good videos of the Ott Ranch HS have appeared on youtube. Looked like a fun trail but that sand obviously takes its toll.

Several good videos of the Ott Ranch HS have appeared on youtube. Looked like a fun trail but that sand obviously takes its toll.
Did you see Riley Johnson's?

Place didnt get as rough as I thought it would.

I am considering a (new) 2019 KTM 250 XC-F for Hare Scramble racing. I have never ridden a KTM so I can not compare it to any of my current or past bikes, but I currently don't have a good (or safe) bike for the TORCS series. I am over 50+ C rider (5 foot 7 inches, 190 pounds) that enjoys taking my time on the course as well as weekend rides with my wife at Zars Ranch in San Antonio.

I know this is a very open ended question, but does the 250 XC-F seem to fit the bill based on my riding description? Assuming I can gel with the bike, is there anything glaring that I am missing so that I should consider something else?

Thanks is advance for any input!

I am considering a (new) 2019 KTM 250 XC-F for Hare Scramble racing. I have never ridden a KTM so I can not compare it to any of my current or past bikes, but I currently don't have a good (or safe) bike for the TORCS series. I am over 50+ C rider (5 foot 7 inches, 190 pounds) that enjoys taking my time on the course as well as weekend rides with my wife at Zars Ranch in San Antonio.

I know this is a very open ended question, but does the 250 XC-F seem to fit the bill based on my riding description? Assuming I can gel with the bike, is there anything glaring that I am missing so that I should consider something else?

Not a bad choice to me. The 4T's work well, good for trailriding or racing!

Should be a perfect bike, I've spent a fair amount of time on the ktm 250f bikes and they handle well and have very manageable power.

This sunday (the 23rd) San Marcos motorcycles is bringing some beta and sherco demo bikes to my property, 9a-5p. Riding is free. Stockdale, about 30 minutes from Zars. Since you are shopping it might be worth it to come check them out!

Call or text me for the address if you want to come 361-243-8794

Thanks Rob. I agree with the four stroke choice. I have ridden hare scrambles with an XR200, XR400 and CRF250R. All Honda bikes, all did well on most terrains. Since I trust Honda, I purchased their new trail bike CRF250F and quickly learned it is not the bike for the job. Matter of fact, it is downright dangerous due to lack of stability and suspension. It would be fine for a new rider learning on basic trails.

I have never bought or ridden a KTM, but looking up and down the line (50+ C riders), I saw nothing but a sea of orange. I believe the 250 would have plenty of power for me (versus the 350 XC-F) based on my riding style.

Anyone's input is greatly appreciated before I pull the trigger. (YZ250X? XCF-W?)

Should be a perfect bike, I've spent a fair amount of time on the ktm 250f bikes and they handle well and have very manageable power.

Thank you Samuel. As for the routine maintenance and upkeep, would you say the KTM is similar to the other comparable woods bikes (CRF250RX, YZ250X)?

Thanks Rob. I agree with the four stroke choice. I have ridden hare scrambles with an XR200, XR400 and CRF250R. All Honda bikes, all did well on most terrains. Since I trust Honda, I purchased their new trail bike CRF250F and quickly learned it is not the bike for the job. Matter of fact, it is downright dangerous due to lack of stability and suspension. It would be fine for a new rider learning on basic trails.

I have never bought or ridden a KTM, but looking up and down the line (50+ C riders), I saw nothing but a sea of orange. I believe the 250 would have plenty of power for me (versus the 350 XC-F) based on my riding style.

Anyone's input is greatly appreciated before I pull the trigger. (YZ250X? XCF-W?)

Kx 250f
bcf5e1d690bd9ca8000d96e9a5d754a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Samuel. As for the routine maintenance and upkeep, would you say the KTM is similar to the other comparable woods bikes (CRF250RX, YZ250X)?
Yes, and I believe the xcf has a easier maintenance schedule than its motocross counterpart.

You shopping new or used? If new, make sure you ask for dylan if you go to tjs in Austin. Tell him I sent you

New. I have spoken with Dylan and he has been very helpful. Nice kid and I learned he is Gil Ramos' son.
Awesome! He sure is, he let me use his spare goggles when I lost mine at the sandwinder enduro!

He is usually working and racing at every torcs race

All are great bikes, that said KTM's are a little different, everyone doesn't like them. My riding partner has the 250RX and 250FX. He loves both but spends the most time on the Yamaha. And they're extremely dependable. All are good choices though. Downside to Kawasaki for me is no estart. Flame out during a race and not being able to get it started isn't fun.

I assume the KX250 still is a kicker? I think they put estart on the 450. That said to me dedicated woods bikes work better anyway. MX bikes have tall 1st gear, 5 speeds, small tanks, 19 inch wheel, and stiff suspension.

I assume the KX250 still is a kicker? I think they put estart on the 450. That said to me dedicated woods bikes work better anyway. MX bikes have tall 1st gear, 5 speeds, small tanks, 19 inch wheel, and stiff suspension.
Yes it is, and is under powered when compared to the ktm

All are great bikes, that said KTM's are a little different, everyone doesn't like them. My riding partner has the 250RX and 250FX. He loves both but spends the most time on the Yamaha. And they're extremely dependable. All are good choices though. Downside to Kawasaki for me is no estart. Flame out during a race and not being able to get it started isn't fun.
I am a dedicated, addicted Honda guy but I would choose the 2020 Yam 250FX if buying new today, great bikes for all round use.

I am a dedicated, addicted Honda guy but I would choose the 2020 Yam 250FX if buying new today, great bikes for all round use.

I will likely be purchasing the 2019 (new) KTM 250 XC-F later today. I too, have been a dedicated Honda rider but never being on an off-road KTM or Yamaha (my XT250 does not count), I have no personal comparison.

Do you recommend the YX250F because of it's well known good suspension and reliability track record? Or because you have ridden it and and like the feel when compared to your Honda? I have never been a lemming, but when I look out at all the TORCS classes and see a sea of orange (~70%), I can only assume that a large percentage of people, and likely more skilled than me, have gone thrugh the similar decision making, and ~3 out of 4 chose KTM.

I greatly appreciate each person's input and I also realize this is like asking what's the best flavor of ice cream.

Last edited:
I will likely be purchasing the 2019 (new) KTM 250 XC-F later today. I too, have been a dedicated Honda rider but never being on an off-road KTM or Yamaha (my XT250 does not count), I have no personal comparison.

Do you recommend the YX250F because of it's well known good suspension and reliability track record? Or because you have ridden it and and like the feel wen compared to your Honda? I have never been a lemming, but when I look out at all the TORCS classes and see a sea of orange (~70%), I can only assume that a large percentage of people, and likely more skilled than me, have gone thrugh the similar decision making, and ~3 out of 4 chose KTM.

I greatly appreciate each person's input and I also realize this is like asking what's the best flavor of ice cream.
The yz250fx has alittle more power and makes it differently is my understanding, I'll be riding one tomorrow that a member just purchased so I'll know more then, which may be to late from the looks of it.

I think you will be perfectly fine with the ktm, and it will probably end up being a better deal than buying a new yamaha. Tjs usually discounts prior year models very well.

I agree with Aspear. Impossible to go wrong with either the KTM, Yam or even the Honda 250 four strokes. I have several fellows locally who have the Yam and those bikes just work in allconditions. I also prefer Japanese handling. I am also very critical of suspension so that is a huge plus for the Yam. But if I had a great KTM dealer nearby and the price was comparable I might be swayed.

A little weird to see orange in the garage but I am super excited. Dylan (and everyone else) at TJ's were excellent to work with. It is a (new) 2019 250 XC-F.

Last edited:
Back