• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2021 Around the Bend: Mar 11-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in. Sending registration in tomorrow.
I'm willing to spilt a room, I haven't called yet for reservations.

I'm in. Sending registration in tomorrow.
I'm willing to spilt a room, I haven't called yet for reservations.
come down early and bring your passport.

I wish I could commit at this time, but still trying to sort some things out.

come down early and bring your passport.
I only have a real ID. This year last year had been busy doing hurricane stuff, at least that's my excuse, but I certainly want to ride Mexico with you someday.

Hey there...
*excuse the off/on again relationship I have with this forum. :)
I want to do this ride...my dirt skills are non existent. I've got a capable bike...Just am not a capable rider.
Thoughts of this ride for a newbie?

Thx for the tolerance!

Howdy Jay,

The only dirt out there that is total noob-friendly is Maverick Rd - from West entrance down to Santa Elena Canyon. From there, you can pavenment-ride up Ross Maxwell, do the basin, etc.

River Road is long and can have deep sand and gravel. Once you start that road, you're pretty committed, so being comfortable in sand and dirt is important.

Old Ore is loose and there are some tough bits - again I wouldn't recommend it for a noob.

Casa Piedra Rd over by the state park is super fun and not challenging. Leads you up from near Presidio to Marfa - so makes a nice day with some great pavement parts. There are some gravel washes along Casa Piedra, but it's noob-passable, I believe.

Great and thank you...
Now, who are the noobs who want to hang with me? Haha!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hey there...
I want to do this ride...my dirt skills are non existent. I've got a capable bike...Just am not a capable rider.

Thx for the tolerance!
Hi Jay - First time I ever road dirt was alone on River Road on a GS1100. I don’t recommend it. For me, the transition from street to dirt was way, way more difficult than I had anticipated. What improved my confidence and enjoyment tremendously was, surprise, seat time (or really peg time) - which for me was in Sam Houston Nat’l Forest. Like most things, there is a pretty steep learning curve. There is quite a bit of time between now and the BB ride - you will likely have a lot more fun out there if you get some good quality time in the dirt prior to heading out there. I’m not familiar with Elgin, but if nothing else, Hidden Falls in Marble Falls has everything ranging from basic dirt roads to some pretty gnarlly stuff. Go have some fun and play around in the dirt as much as you can, and then you will be set to have more fun at BBNP.

Agree, I would.
The move from the tiger 800 to the gs 750 has boosted my confidence quite a bit. I do hit the dirt roads around my area as often as I can. I think I'll be doubling down on dirt time out here

Ty!

Jay you are riding a 500 lb dirt bike. That’s a handful for an experienced dirt rider.

I do hit the dirt roads around my area as often as I can. I think I'll be doubling down on dirt time out here
Doubling the time you spend riding dirt in the hill country between now and the rally is an excellent idea. The more time you spend riding dirt the better you will get.

Jay you are riding a 500 lb dirt bike. That’s a handful for an experienced dirt rider.
I made that mistake last year in AR. I showed up to a dual sport ride on my KTM 1290. Everyone else was on DR650s, DRZ400s, WR250Rs, etc. I kept up but it was a workout, and I dumped it once. I came home and started looking for something smaller. I now have a XR650L, and that's what I'm bringing to this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have a 1290 SA and have ridden it at Big Bend. I dumped it three times on N county rd. And gave up.

My Wr250r is a much better choice.

Hey there...

Thx for the tolerance!
I'm with you, Jay. Been riding pavement for a long time but testing the adventure bike scene. I'll be at the ARB but won't be looking for anything very technical.

Thanks, everyone.
I primarily ride street and don't have a smaller dirt bike. I understand that unless I develop some serious talent, BB will be limited for me. And I get that.

Now who wants to let me borrow a small street legal bike? Hahahaha

If anyone wants to switch reservations, I have a single room at bb resort and would really like a double.

I just joined this site today. Is it too late to commit for this ride?
Anyone from NW Houston towing the bike to Big Bend and riding there.
Riding to big bend from Houston is such a boring paved surface that I'm trying to avoid :)

I just joined this site today. Is it too late to commit for this ride?
Anyone from NW Houston towing the bike to Big Bend and riding there.
Riding to big bend from Houston is such a boring paved surface that I'm trying to avoid :)
It's not too late to register and attend.

Early registration ends Feb 19th and includes a free custom event t-shirt. See the first post in this thread for all the details.

So it's still 11-14th, I thought I saw it was the 20th? What is the point of registration? Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back