• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2021 CR450R and RX

I used to ride my 87 CR500 at Boykin Springs and it did just fine on the single track there. Used to take the 2005 CRF450R and aluminum framed CR500 to Rio. The 500 was fun, but the 450 was so much easier to ride and I wouldn’t fatigue near as fast.

Breaks my heart every time someone mentions Boykin Springs. Finally gave up on getting support to open it back up, no one seems to have the "true grit" these days. Guys in Kali say it should be easy based on how they turned it into an equestrian park based on BS and abuse of power. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yep.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1602800997064.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602800997064.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 175
Some Green goodness

If I understand this correctly:

Pros:
Current generation MX chassis and engine
Hydraulic clutch
Quick-change mapping plugs

Cons:
No lights
5-speed transmission
Still need to buy a proper skid plate
No factory handguards
No front rotor guard
Linkage rear suspension
Didn't change the rear spring, resulting in heavy dive under breaking

So, I'm really not sure what would get people to buy the Kawasaki over the Honda for a woods bike. Maybe less snatchy throttle response?

Pros:
Hydraulic clutch

Cons:
No lights
5-speed transmission
No factory handguards
No front rotor guard
Linkage rear suspension

So, I'm really not sure what would get people to buy the Kawasaki over the Honda for a woods bike. Maybe less snatchy throttle response?
Honda 250RX:
no lights
5 speed
linkage rear
skid plates look similiar
I don't know but ad says cross country suspension,
so outside of front rotor guard, RX and Kawasaki seem simiiar. If going on the above stats, they both suffer compared to KTM, Husky, Beta, and Sherco. But some folks want a Jap bike, I think either would be a fun bike. My riding partner has the 2020 RX and Yamaha 250FX, both bikes work very well, even compared to KTM, heck maybe better. Depends on rather you like the air fork.

Mainly just sharing, glad to see more choices for offroad guys.

Pros:
Hydraulic clutch

Cons:
No lights
5-speed transmission
No factory handguards
No front rotor guard
Linkage rear suspension

My thoughts on the cons listed above

Most local series dont need lights KTM XC bikes dont have them
Not many guys need to click up to 6th in the woods those that do my hats off to them
agree any offroad bike should come with one
they would probably only be flag style that 80% of people would change anyway, let them have their choice
be a good idea
I have ridden both and like the linkage have had both linkage and PDS bikes
I would guess that would really depend on rider weight and skill level if the spring rate was ok or not

But that is what is so great about Honda, Yamaha, Kaw and maybe one day Suzuki getting back into offroad besides all the KTM, Beta, Sherco, Gas Gas Husky options out there, it give people another choice in options

I really miss my RMX 250/450. They handled SO well. Too bad they cant spend a little for the button and get some much needed HP. Until then I'll never own another one.
There always been something about those Red Hondas. Eye Candy.

For enduro, I'll take a linkage rear any day of the week for better small bump compliance and still take hard hits. It's SX and anytime there's lots of jumps that I'll take no linkage.

5 speed... I only needed 3 gears. The other 2 are just extra weight to carry around.

Honda 250RX:
no lights
5 speed
linkage rear
skid plates look similiar
I don't know but ad says cross country suspension,
so outside of front rotor guard, RX and Kawasaki seem simiiar. If going on the above stats, they both suffer compared to KTM, Husky, Beta, and Sherco. But some folks want a Jap bike, I think either would be a fun bike. My riding partner has the 2020 RX and Yamaha 250FX, both bikes work very well, even compared to KTM, heck maybe better. Depends on rather you like the air fork.
Yeah, I'm just saying that the Kawasaki looks like a "me too" offering that doesn't give me any must-buy reason to get it over a Honda or a Yamaha. (And I'm speaking as someone who is currently in the market for that type of bike, and who has owned enough Kawasakis to know to never buy a first model year one.)

Not that I'm complaining about more Japanese companies venturing into this market segment. But the counter-point is that if the Japanese come out with bikes that don't generate much in the way of sales (at least not without cannibalizing their MX bike sales) due to being "me too" bikes, then that will slow those companies' enthusiasm for coming out with a more diverse line of woods bikes. (Especially considering how little understanding of the American off-road market they have shown.) Sure, the KX250X cost Kawasaki next to nothing to develop after developing the MX bike, so I can't believe that it won't be a profitable model for them, but a lukewarm reception for this bike could mean that we don't get more trail/woods focused variants in the future.

IF only the CRF-RX and Kaw X came with a WR tranny, larger gas tank and lighting coil for those who want to add lights..

You're trying to make it something its not. It's a closed course offroad racer. Not a dualsport or hard Enduro bike.

You're trying to make it something its not. It's a closed course offroad racer. Not a dualsport or hard Enduro bike.
I know a lot more riders who need an enduro than need an closed-course off-road racer.

Plus, the people who spend enough to race are the ones who would already be re-valving/re-springing the suspension and replacing the rear wheel to suit their needs, making the KX250X kind of pointless.

I know a lot more riders who need an enduro than need an closed-course off-road racer.

Plus, the people who spend enough to race are the ones who would already be re-valving/re-springing the suspension and replacing the rear wheel to suit their needs, making the KX250X kind of pointless.
Luckily why we have choices! We just know different folks, ones I know would want a close course racer. Most buy mx bikes and make them work. That's what the XC/XCF line of KTM's are. Not sure why the Japs can't have the same bike(and they can and do now). For those that want a XCW and or 450X they can do that also. Not sure what the problem is here. Different tools for different jobs.

RX, FX, and KawasakiX are perfect bikes FOR TORCS, TCCRA, and TORN racing if a fellow doesn't want to ride Orange.

Last edited:
Another plus to these type bikes, closed course so don't have to mess with emission add ons.

Not sure what the problem is here. Different tools for different jobs.
No real problem - in fact, I'm certainly not going to complain about more Japanese manufacturers starting to realize that there's more to dirtbikes than motocross.

It's just hard to get excited about a new model when most of its changes are things that you could already do by yourself, rather than things that require factory engineering (e.g. gearbox, electrics, frame geometry, etc.).

Back