• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2021 ET450 ride reports

20210516_105732.jpg
20210516_105738.jpg
20210516_105745.jpg
20210516_105810.jpg

20210516_120343.jpg
Kids don't try this at home.
We decided the unknown depth under the water was not good so
we turned around. Remember we are Adventure riders not Submarine operators.
Maybe some day they will make a snorkel kit for KTMs.

Last edited:
Great pics, Dan; thanks for sharing. So give us some details. What time did you guys leave from Livingston? Did you overnight in Rusk on Saturday, and if so, what time did you get there?

Great pics, Dan; thanks for sharing. So give us some details. What time did you guys leave from Livingston? Did you overnight in Rusk on Saturday, and if so, what time did you get there?
We had a few groups, and the last group left at 8. I was part of that group of 6. We had 4 flats on the same tire. We made it to Center at 6pm. I continued on the track while the rest slabbed it to Rusk. I finished the first day track with no re-routes at 9:10.

In retrospect, maybe I was optimistic regarding the first days mileage, but I have ridden the whole 450 loop in a single day, twice. The unusually wet conditions, larger groups, and those darn flats ate a lot of time.

Last edited:
Nice. You guys did pretty good considering the road conditions and the mechanical challenges. Timing for the ET450 is always a challenge, no thanks to our lovely (unpredictable) Texas weather! Glad you guys made it though without any injuries(?), and hope everyone had a good time.

Saturday was overcast and we left Livingston around 8:10 am with Joel expertly leading the way for our group. Four flats was no problem just part of the Adventure. As long as you don't get upset about a few obstacles you can meet great people and have a blast. At around 7pm we got to Center TX and Joel continued on the dirt road route (he can ride faster than light speed when needed) The rest of us in our group - down to 3 I think slabbed it to Rusk. It was 60 mile asphalt to Rusk or 100 miles dirt to Rusk from Center TX.
I think we got to Rusk at around 7:45 pm or 8.
We got our room key at Weston Inns - $75 a night with tax. Very nice rooms and the pool was very clean but too cold to swim. Bring swim trunks or shorts when we ride this again probably in the fall. The Weston has new owners and the check in lady Diana is a real sweet person.
Then we headed over to the Mexican restaurant.
Delicious food for everyone. I think Joel got in around 8:45 pm.
I slept like a rock got up early and went exploring around Rusk. Lots of hills which Houston does not have so it was a great morning jaunt.
Sunday we ate at McDonalds which is right next to our Motel and then left at 9am. David and the other group were scheduled to leave at 8am but he spotted that an 8MM bolt that holds the sub-frame to the main frame on his bike was missing. So they waited until O'reillys Auto Parts opened at 9am to buy a bolt. He will have to fill you all in as I do not know the details and hope I relayed this correctly. Another delay but no worry all part of the Adventure ride. On the Sunday ride many bridges out and water flowing over creeks onto roads. One water over road area I decided to walk out to see how deep it was and it was about 12" deep. Years ago I used to put my feet in plastic bags and put them in my MX boots that leaked like a sieve. I finally bout some $500 Sidi waterproof boots (hard to spend that kind of money for a tight wad like me) but oh how they have paid off. And thamk goodness I did not slip and fall into the water like I did on a Hill Country 500 ride. I better get on with the story and quit rambling I hear some of you nodding off. We got to some pavement after noon and the temp dropped and the rain was headed our way. Scott and I said we would slab it back to Livingston and Joel said he would soldier on as a small portion of dirt roads was left on the route. (remember lightning speed that he is) Scott and I ran into some rain so I pulled off and started putting on my rain gear and Scott kept going to Livingston. As I am sitting under a pine tree out of the down pour to put on my pants who shoots by -- you guessed it Mr Grease Lighting himself Joel. He had finished the rest of the route and passed me up. Holy smokes he is fast in the dirt.

Special thanks to David and Joel and everyone else. What a great Adventure and friendships that will last a lifetime.

This year was the wettest I've ever seen these roads, but it sure kept the dust down.
I have seen the roads wet and muddy but never standing water and washouts like the ones pictured here.

Make a great adventure and great memories. Yā€™all keep the pics and stories coming.

Years ago I used to put my feet in plastic bags and put them in my MX boots that leaked like a sieve. I finally bout some $500 Sidi waterproof boots (hard to spend that kind of money for a tight wad like me) but oh how they have paid off.
Hey, Tight-wad, try these next time:

They work!

Reactions: my6
We had a few groups, and the last group left at 8. I was part of that group of 6. We had 4 flats on the same tire. We made it to Center at 6pm. I continued on the track while the rest slabbed it to Rusk. I finished the first day track with no re-routes at 9:10.

In retrospect, maybe I was optimistic regarding the first days mileage, but I have ridden the whole 450 loop in a single day, twice. The unusually wet conditions, larger groups, and those darn flats ate a lot of time.
Great riding with y'all.
Thank you Dan for taking pictures and testing the water.

Had a great time riding and meeting some more TWTexans/Cajuns. It was my first real ride on the 701. I like it! Sorry I missed the high five Joel, but my hand was previously occupied with the clutch. šŸ˜ Here is the only picture I have from two days of riding.
64FFBDE1-1C43-4682-A775-867FF83BC148.jpeg

Hey I think you guys passed me at 255 and 96! I want in on the next ride!!! Looks like an awesome time

Attachments

• image_50425857.JPG
    image_50425857.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 162
Had a great time riding and meeting some more TWTexans/Cajuns. It was my first real ride on the 701. I like it! Sorry I missed the high five Joel, but my hand was previously occupied with the clutch. šŸ˜ Here is the only picture I have from two days of riding.

Who's GS is that? Bet \that was fun getting it out!

Back