• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2021 Iron Butt Rally

My Dan is the Duvall, rides a 2020 FJR. He scored 18444 for leg one.
He's currently ahead of several prior IBR Finishers. That's a darn good first showing. As long as he has a good 3rd leg and finishes he's pretty much guaranteed a slot in the next one.

I'm surprised that Wendy is so far down the list. She was wrenching on her bike last night so I wonder if there might be an issue. My friend Marc is one spot ahead of her, and Ken is down in 20th place, even after having to get towed to a shop yesterday. He was fortunate that the owner of the shop just happened to come in and listen to his voicemails, AND he's an IBA member. Don't know the name of the shop yet but he needs some shout outs for his help once that is known.

He's currently ahead of several prior IBR Finishers. That's a darn good first showing. As long as he has a good 3rd leg and finishes he's pretty much guaranteed a slot in the next one.

It looks like he missed out on 2648 points (leg 2 tracking bonus and a he zeroed the automobile crash, aka OOPS, bonus for some reason). The latter was worth 1648 points according to another score card. Those mistakes cost him a number of places so if he's back next time I'm sure he'll have those wrinkles ironed out.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that Wendy is so far down the list. She was wrenching on her bike last night so I wonder if there might be an issue. My friend Marc is one spot ahead of her, and Ken is down in 20th place, even after having to get towed to a shop yesterday. He was fortunate that the owner of the shop just happened to come in and listen to his voicemails, AND he's an IBA member. Don't know the name of the shop yet but he needs some shout outs for his help once that is known.
I'm wondering if by the time the leg 2 bonus packet was handed out, many have figured out a strategy with the rally-wide bonuses and will be scooping up big points for Leg 3. I'd look for several of those folks to jump back to the top.

Sleeping in the parking lot? They are closed and don't open for another hour. Williams AZ.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 3.46.42 AM.png

One rider is near the border in Douglas AZ. Visiting the airport, perhaps?

• Douglas Municipal Airport - Established in 1928 and located at the eastern end of 10th Ave. The Douglas Municipal Airport, was the first international airport in the United States. The airport was also the home to World War II military pilot training and housed Amelia Earhart on a cross-country flight.[12] Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1975, reference: #75000336.[11]

Screenshot 2021-06-30 3.53.33 AM.png

Lots of riders on their way into / out of Arizona. I think I'm right about the Douglas Airport being a site as there's another rider near it right now.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 4.54.16 PM.png

Thanks Texas T et al for sharing these links and the feed. It's been several years since I've been able to follow this rally. Having full knee replacement 2 weeks ago has me sitting still long enough to keep up with it.
The Bruce, hang in there with your therapy. It will get better. I had both done Mar 1, and am at 90%. Actually getting back on the 1190 and my 300 greatly improved flexibility.

Just got a 👍 from Dan, he’s made it to checkin. He called me about midnight CDT, I’ve never heard him so happy. Said he didn’t want the ride to end.

Congrats to him. Going from a 5 digit number to a 3 digit number in a very short period of time is commendable.

The silly boy sent me a text with photos about sunup yesterday, he choose to get off of I10 just west of Ozona and take the old US 290 to my favorite spot. There’s an old roadside park located just above Fort Lancaster overlooking the Pecos River Valley. He sacrificed rally riding time to stay there until the sun rose just to get the photo. He knew by then I wasn’t going to be in Provo as I promised. He had seen my track and where I had to turn around north of Santa Fe and headed back. #*&*&$’% Cancer.

Instead of jumping back on I10 to get to Fort Stockton and make the fast trip to Terlingua like all the other riders,he chose to ride the canyons down Sanderson. From there to the park. He decided to make the slow ride through the park and take 170 to Presidio, knowing it’s been one of my favorite rides. I think he knows I’ll probably not be there again in this lifetime. It cost him a lot, he had to give up the points in Douglas Az because of it.

I know he did it to honor this old man, I love my tribe of Long Distant Riders and I love my great and fine friend, Daniel Duvall. Ride on and carry that 3 digit number with pride, it’s been a **** of a ride.

To ride a Busa almost 14K miles in 11 days is incredible, and then to actually win the rally on top of that is just AMAZING! Massive congrats to Mike. That's almost 1,300 miles EVERY day.

If Suzuki's PR department isn't knocking on his door on Tuesday they are really missing the boat.

Back