• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2021 Iron Butt Rally

Westy 2 - 12.5 hours to the checkpoint and 10 hours to DNF.
Screenshot 2021-06-24 9.07.31 AM.png

Heavy weather approaching Indiana. It's not supposed to get really wet until after 11 pm, but he'll have light rain for a while on the way in.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 9.12.25 AM.png

The rider in MN has 10 hours to get there and 10.5 hours of riding to make it. Should not be a problem other than the fact that they have to ride THROUGH that storm front.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 9.21.37 AM.png

I don’t like to give any particular rider so much attention, but after Al Greenwood completed a bonus at the Minuteman Missile site, he informed us that in 1985 when he last competed in the Iron Butt Rally he was working on the Minuteman project. We can look at this two ways: “Boy have we all gotten old,” or “Look at how technology has advanced in our lifetime.” I prefer the latter. Al, who, in our last report had a flat tire in Montana, has since had his bike towed and the tire fixed but is a long way out.

Westy 2 is 3 hours to DNF and has 7+ hours of google maps time to get there.

The rider in Ripley TN is in some industrial park area. Moto shop? 6.5 riding hours to get to the checkpoint, but it's all secondary roads through bubba country.

There is a spotwalla marker sitting north of Salt Lake City at Fastback Moto repair shop.

It looks like Al is 4 hours out in Elgin IL with 3 hours to DNF.

It's looking like it's going to be a disappointing first leg for some folks.

Al posted to FB an hour ago...

Epic failed IBR report
Well i guess if it could go wrong it did
BBG1500 on the way out was over by about an hour due to traffic. 22 hours left to go go another 600 or so miles to complete an SS200 at 1986 miles the fuel line clogged up killing that run.
Now on to the IBR
The start went off without a hitch but p near the end ofv the first take it started acting up p guess there was some dirt still in the łine, filed out with premium at 5.05 ģal and it ran fine after that.
Made it through my first 4 bonuses ok but put in the wrong coordinates for the 5th stop use N44 instead of N47 and ended up with a nice trip Yellowstone Park.
Finally made it to the correct bonusat 1 am just up the road i blew the rear tire. Out in middle of nowhere with on cell service. Slept beside the bike on the side of the road until about 5 when someone stopped and helped move the bike off the roadway and took me local store to wait for them to open. Roadside assistance took until 1230 to send someone out. Finally got the road and 4pm now a mad dash to the checkpoint with a couple bonuses on the way. Everdioptery thing looks great will pick up 3 of my remaining 5 and make checking by 7 pm with time to spare. Look one last time when i get closer to them and discover i forgot to put in the final destination so even if i skipped all 3 i would be over by an hour .oh well there is always 2023

:-( (my comment)

Westy 2 or Westy Jr, whatever you want to call him has thrown in the towel and is going to meander out to Provo for the final banquet.

You just beat me to it. There are two Dans but I don't know which one is Tim's (Splash) friend.

Interesting that the 1st place rider put on almost twice as many miles as the last place.

1st place = 6.1 points per mile
71st place = 3.9 points per mile

It's not the miles that matter the most, but how efficient you are in riding those miles.

MIke Brooke in 2nd place rode an average of 1400 miles per day for the 3.5 days in the leg. :eek2:

Last edited:
Pretty neat that you can click and pull up the individual scorecards this time.

Cool to see stuff like Jim Saul made the haul to Key West and snagged that 7K bonus. But it wasn't the best idea because he's only in 55th place. Sucker? :D We'll see, that location might be a part of the big "Combo bonus."

Top riders at points per mile is interesting to look at for pure efficiency.
Eric Bray is first and landed 12th place.
Andy Reginer is second and 9th place overall
Mike P Heitkam is next with a 10th place for scoring.

Will be interesting to see how these folks do as the rally progresses. They have a respectable place and have proven to be able to plan and ride most efficiently. That could prove to be worthwhile over the long haul.

One additional interesting note is that the Busa is in second place!!!

Last edited:
One additional interesting note is that the Busa is in second place!!!
Yes, that was interesting to see. He must be much younger than me. My back / hands couldn't handle that.

Also, the KTM is still in the hunt although he's at the bottom of the list. He also had his kickstand fall off so I'm sure that fuel stops are a challenge. Ken Andrews needs a gas cap for his aux tank, another rider needs a new jacket; I wonder what else will happen?

It's 9:30 pm on the east coast. IIRC the check-in in Huntsville tomorrow is 5-8 pm and DNF at 10 pm.

Albany is 1000+ miles from Huntsville. It might be time to stop gathering bonuses and start heading south.

Screenshot 2021-06-26 6.31.41 PM.png

Yep it will be a push. But if you’re a experienced endurance riding it shouldn’t be a problem. I explained to my friend that if you trade penalty deductions which would total 1200 points for the time to pickup an additional thousands then it’s a good trade. Just don’t time bar, lol.

Ken "Rainman" Andrews is in need of a tow to a dealer in Lynchburg VA. This doesn't bode well for him to make it to the checkpoint unless someone loans him a bike. The checkpoint opens in 6 hours and closes in 11, and he's 8 hours of riding time away. :-(

204457596_4178992632195339_245597416781668535_n.jpg

One hour until scoring opens. Some are there already. A couple of the KY riders are 4 hours away, but as long as they are on their way they'll make it before 10 pm, but at the cost of a lot of points.

Screenshot 2021-06-27 12.56.52 PM.png

If you are interested in testing your rally routing skills. Definitely more complex once you try fitting points into a rideable route. This also does not include the rallywide bonuses as they have not been published. Also, it's just a map, so no call in or rest bonuses located. That just makes it even more complicated.

Somebody check my math, 82 hours from start to the opening of checkpoint 1.
Start - 6/21 8am MTN
Checkpoint 1 - 6/24 8pm/10pm EST

Edit: Just dropped in the group photo bonus with estimated points.

Attachments

• IBR 2021 Bonuses.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Back