• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2021 Tour Of Honor

Good decisions all around Brian. Tough start, way too push through, though. Oh wait, not all decisions were good, lol. Dude, we spend the money on heated gear so we can leave it home, you crack me up! I hate being chilled, temps under 62 and I’m plugging in.

Y’all enjoy mañana’s ride.

Ok, back home safe and sound. After much delay we finally left the house about 10 am on Friday. Our first stop was just about 20 minutes away at the Gilbert Fire & Police memorial.
2021 TOH Gilbert.jpg

We weren't the first riders to get there as evidenced by two other chips already left on the memorial.
2021 TOH Gilbert chips.jpg

From Gilbert it was straight up the Beeline (Hwy 87) to Payson, and then continuing on north through Pine and Strawberry and Happy Jack with Winslow (Standing On The Corner) as our destination. There was lots and lots of snow on the shoulders of the road once we got past Strawberry, but the roads were clear other than the remaining salt mixture still on the roads so I had to pick my way through the curves carefully. There were scattered showers here and there but they were mostly light and moving east while we were moving north. The last shower was a bit more intense and the drops hurt; the temp was 45 degrees at that point so it was probably hail that had just about melted by the time it hit us. My Warm and Safe heated undershirt (much better than wearing a jacket) was set very low and was doing a great job of keeping me warm. Soon enough we broke out of the pines and the curves and it was pretty much just a straight shot north on the high, dry plains to Winslow. We might have seen another vehicle every 10-15 minutes so I was able to crank up the speed pretty good on that stretch.

Arriving in Winslow (a trans-continental hub for Santa Fe Railroad back in the day and still a major BNSF hub) we pulled into the La Posada Hotel. This is the former Santa Fe Railroad station and is still an Amtrak stop and was the last of the Fred Harvey Houses from back in the day. It is now been restored and made into a hotel and they are booked well in advance if you are thinking about staying there.
La Posado - Winslow AZ - 2021 TOH ride.png

We had lunch there in the Turquoise Room and it was very good. Not cheap, but very good.
2021 TOH La Posada lunch.jpg

2021 TOH La Posado tacos.jpg

From Winslow we headed west on I-40 to Meteor Crater. Brenda had just mentioned last week that she would like to see it, so this was a surprise for her. I'm an Arizona native and have been past this site dozens of times over the years, but this was my first visit too. I'll definitely go back when I have some more time, but we needed to get back on the road and get to the Holbrook site and hotel.

I keep Brenda's handicap placard duct taped to the front of the bike's dashboard under the windshield so it can be seen from the front. Well... at 80+ mph it flew off. Fortunately there was no one behind me and I laid on the brakes and got pulled over onto the shoulder and walked back 100+ yards to find it. It was sitting right between the two lines of traffic. I waited for a break in traffic and ran out to grab it. However, it had been run over many times by then and the duct tape was holding it firmly to the pavement, something I didn't expect. So when I grabbed it and pulled, it pulled back and I fell over onto the knuckles of my right hand. I pried it loose and ran to the inside shoulder as traffic approached and passed me by. Once there was another break in traffic I hustled back onto the regular shoulder and walked back to to my waiting wife on the bike, with my little heart going pitter-patter. I think I'll just break down and order a handicap plate for the bike. It just really limits my vanity plate number of characters opportunity since it's such a small plate to begin with.

After that near catastrophe, we made it into Holbrook and found the memorial location. It was way across a park so I had to take a distant photo and then hike to take another shot at the memorial.
2021 TOH Holbrook far.jpg

2021 TOH Holbrook near.jpg

To the hotel we went. Checked in, unpacked, bike covered, time for dinner. There is a Denny's in the parking lot so walking 100 feet beats delivery pizza any day. We walk in and a sign greets us stating there is only one cook and it will be a 40 min delay. I'm too tired to go anywhere else so we decide to wait it out. Our order was brought to the table within 10 minutes of placing it, and to boot.. the waitress was a wonderful person and great at her job. I was famished so my pancakes, eggs and bacon were wolfed down in a heartbeat. Back to the hotel, shower and bed.

I was up at 5, saw the temp was 39 degrees and went back to bed, getting back up at 7;30. Sleeping beauty decided that was way too early and continued to snooze. After getting up, getting ready, packing the bike, eating the hotel breakfast-in-a-bag, and getting gas down the street, we were on our way to Williams.

Westbound on I-40 approaching Flagstaff you see the snow-covered San Francisco Peaks and they were just beautiful today. About 8 miles past Flagstaff a semi decided to take an excursion and left the roadway going into the median. There is no median barrier along much of this portion of the interstate, but fortunately there were a lot of trees and they brought the truck to a halt. If it had happened another mile down the road there would have been nothing to stop this truck from completely crossing the median and impacting the east bound traffic. It must have happened within the past 30 minutes or so because there were state troopers everywhere, and an ambulance was just ahead of us. The ambulance wasn't running code so either the driver didn't require care or they were transported by another ambulance. We got a closer look when we returned that way about an hour later. A heavy duty wrecker was there to pull it out and we could see that the tractor was demolished all the way back to the cab. The cab windshield was busted on both sides (probably from the trees) and broken trees were all over. The cab itself looked intact, so if the driver did in fact survive with no injuries it was just short of a miracle.

Anyhow, back to the trip. We made it into Williams and found the memorial, but I had no internet service on my phone so I didn't know exactly what I was to take a photo of. I wound up taking a long shot of the entire memorial just to cover my bases and submitted that.
2021 TOH Williams.jpg

It turns out all I really needed was the kneeling soldier, so there shouldn't be a problem with me getting credit for this. Speaking of credit, two guys from Southern Arizona riding together scored a tie for first place which leaves the 3rd place trophy up for grabs. No one else in AZ seems to have more than one site captured as of tonight and I have six with the seventh pending approval. Which means I "might" have another trophy. But you never know if someone from another state came to Arizona and rode all the memorials before me. Since I got the late start on Friday I wasn't expecting to even place, but I may have a shot. If not, there's always next year.

Here is the route I took over the three days.
2021 Tour Of Honor Spotwalla 4-1 to 4-3.png

If I had been in tip top shape Thursday night this would have been a cakewalk. From home to Gilbert was about 20 minutes. From there to Scottsdale was another 20, then probably three hours to get to Holbrook (riding through dark, elk-infested forest is not for the faint of heart or those in a hurry), another two hours to get to Williams, then south to Wickenburg, further south to get Gila Bend (which wasn't lit and probably needed to be hit during the day anyhow), and then finish up in Bisbee. Easily done in about 15 hours. And then if I wanted a SaddleSore I'd have to tack on another 250 miles so I could have done a circuitous route to finish at the house within the 24 hours. As I said earlier, there's always next year.

Thanks for coming along.

Good on you Brian. I do have a question. Did you use the app to post your pictures for scoring? I’ve got it loaded on my phone and didn’t realize that you have to allow the app access to your camera to use it. Old fashioned email I guess for me. I got the Conroe Huey and the trio of helicopters in Huntsville this afternoon. I thought you used the app to load the photos once they were taken. Oh well, live and learn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good on you Brian. I do have a question. Did you use the app to post your pictures for scoring? I’ve got it loaded on my phone and didn’t realize that you have to allow the app access to your camera to use it. Old fashioned email I guess for me. I got the Conroe Huey and the trio of helicopters in Huntsville this afternoon. I thought you used the app to load the photos once they were taken. Oh well, live and learn.
I have and use the app. However, it didn't play well with my Android initially. The author is an Apple Fanboy and only built the Android version so that the rest of us would have something to use, but due to the many flavors of Android phones it's hit or miss as to how it works which is no fault of his. He just doesn't have the time / resources to verify his app against every brand / flavor / version of phones out there.

When I submitted my first location the photo did not send along with the email, but I was smart enough to go into my Sent folder and verify that there wasn't an attachment and do it over again. I would have been really PO'd if I had left Bisbee thinking all was good with the world and then find out 200 miles later that it was missing a photo.

What I wound up doing was taking a regular photo on my phone, then using the app to take another photo (so you don't get the "No Photo Taken" error) and hit Submit. When the email opens (I use Gmail) I would delete the App photo and just attach the photo I had taken previously. The app pre-fills all the site information on the subject line which is a huge time saver which is why I continue to use it. It's really only another ten seconds or so for me to do it that way, versus trying to key in all the correct info on the subject line with shaky hands in a regular email to the scorers.

Thanks for the info. I got out today and picked up TX-5 in Seabrook and four K-9’s; Alvin, Angleton, Cypress, and Houston (on Cutten Road). Already more sites than I did last year. I used the app (Apple iPhone) and it appears to work fairly well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Heading out tomorrow to do New Mexico. The better half is going with me, so we'll be taking our time and doing about 400 miles a day and visiting a couple of friends in the state as well.

The same link will work for this ride; you'll just see the old tracks from last week still on the page.

2021 NM TOH and Phil and Dean.png

Yeah, I'm not sure about how to post a photobucket image here. I use Google Drive so I'm just "uploading" the image from there. I would think that photobucket would work the same, but I'm not sure.

Back