• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2023 KTM 450 XCF-W

KsTeveM

Say When
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Pylant
Well, what’s a feller to do when he has the latest gen thumpers on the brain? My 500, he is right at 10 years old this year. I’ve had it on my mind to “replace” him with a modern 500 at some point in the next year or two (but still keeping him, he is family). I like the idea of having an uncorked plated XCW, like my 2014. However in the last couple of production years, the 500 has been corked/smogged no matter which version you purchased EXC/XCW. I don’t care for the smog stuff’s potential failure points, I don’t like running leaner/hotter, nor the potential decel popping/flame outs. I don’t really want to start throwing money at a brand new bike for a new ECU, de-smog, exhaust…..and hope I get it just right…..like my 2014 500 XCW has been for 13,000 miles, stock out of the box. My 500 has never flamed out, never popped on decel and my sas, o2 and vapor recovery systems never failed me in the bush, cause they never existed. Pics below of the modern 500 stuff, EXC or XCW.

1678713949310.png

1678713959606.png

1678713971292.png

1678713980285.png

2023 and Me. I went to Las Cruces for a hard enduro ride week before last, pic below. I got razzed for being on a heavy pig. The 2014 500 was 246 dry if I remember right, we are all just spoiled :-). But I know he is a little heavy the way he was trimmed out. So I man handled him when needed, while closely watching the newer generation “smaller” bikes on that ride as I moved in and out the pack in different slots. If money was no object, I would have kept the 2022 KTM 300 XCW I had, just for a play bike, but it didn’t gel with me. So now I can say I tried out the 300 craze….but in the end I’m a thumper guy. It was however, like being on a mountain bike, very “flickable” as they say. From that experience, I knew I wanted a new nimble trail bike for the day rides, but in thumper flavor. Filling this spot in my stable would allow me to keep my 2014 500 in a more relaxed true dual sport mode and I could quit unbolting/bolting it back and forth for single track/trail rig work (tank size, tires, sprockets, racks, bags, nav etc.). He could also serve as a backup bike if my trail bike was down.....or if my adventure bike was down he could step up. And when my 13yo son’s legs reach the ground…..we could have two plated enduro bikes!

1678714018058.png

Let’s be real, I have been riding my current 500 for 20% of my life! It’s time for an upgrade, this is just logical (wherever my wife is right now, she just rolled her eyes). Brain, I give you permission to go down the current enduro rabbit hole. The Sherco SEF Enduros are intriguing, spent some time studying that platform especially the 300 4 stroke, but couldn’t quite get warm and fuzzy for my versatile desires. Beta is interesting as well, gave them some thought as they have lots of options….but didn’t get all tingly inside. Jap bikes, I really wish there was one that fit the bill for me, can’t quite get there. KTM 350/500 rabbit hole….not in love with this EXC business as stated above in this post. They are expensive bikes to start with and more significant dollars needed to get it where I want it reliability wise/smooth power delivery wise. But I know they are more along the lines of a me bike. I decided to have a look at what was even for sale out there in internet orange land and what kind of dollars were involved. Holy moly, they aren’t giving 500s away these days, MSRP $12,700 and dealers aren’t wanting to deal on them, 350 EXCs right at same price. Then I saw this guy below, scrolled on by when I saw 450…..but then scrolled back up as my brain processed XCF-W. What do we have here? KTM likes playing alphabet soup, and can vary by continent. This requires more investigation to know what kind of animal this is.

1678714044872.png

I like the initial vibe I’m getting on this species….105kg….231lbs. But am I looking at dual overhead cams like the 350 or a single overhead cam 500 with a slightly shorter stroke? Is this still a choked “green” sticker bike for US/California buyers like the current 350 and 500 EXC/XCWs? Is this bike really even available and physically on a showroom floor? Can I get it plated at time of purchase at the dealer? And how come out of the entire inventory listed, this is the only bike that says “call for price”. Classic. Before I call for price, let me google this bike. Oh, looky here, Taco Moto dude building one for himself to run personally, for single track, baja, all arounder? Hmmm

1678714071117.png

I’m liking all that I am learning about this bike. SOHC, no emissions, uncorked from factory. Dirt bike magazine review: “The 450 XCF-W runs better than any four stroke in the KTM fleet….This bike just runs sweetly and smoothly, like a motor should run when it’s mapped or jetted to perfection.” I like the sounds of that, when research/engineering gets it right….and they are allowed to get it right without stipulations. Engine characteristics, seems like a 350 and 500 had a baby when reading reviews. It lugs like a 500, but can also rev up fast like a 350, sweet spot? 2024 models are supposedly getting a new chassis for the enduro line. Is that a good thing vs. this tried and true tech on this particular bike generation? Do I care either way? Are they even going to be making an uncorked 500, or 450, in the XCF-W flavor in 2024 or will it be an off year for the XCW like KTM is known to do? I make the phone call. Oh, you have one in stock, just one. Oh, you have a rebate on that bike right now. Oh, you can plate it.

1678714090837.png

I’m a little ahead of my original thought processes/schedule for “replacing” my old 500 but this just feels right and is speaking my language. I think this bike can serve really well as my weekend trail bike (and maybe TORCS?) and eventually pull double duty when he needs to go out of state on larger week plus rides if I need two “500s” to go….or I just need the lighter and more nimble gen bike for a particular expedition. So what the heck, let’s do this. Say hello to my little friend, the baby 500, fresh out of her crib. I give you life!!!

1678714107098.png

Picked it up this past Friday on my way to a family reunion in Granbury. Efficiently spending money, that’s me every time. My wife wasn’t impressed. It was painful to not get a good ride in to get an initial feel for the weight/inertia/engine, but the reunion was on my wife’s side…..and my mother-outlaw was there giving me the normal dirty looks that are reserved for me. I wanted to fly the coop and roll out. But I decided to wait, play it cool…..and just slipped away to make out with the 4fiddy when I could. And whispered in her ear, the bike not the outlaw, about the plans for us.

1678714214490.png

Anybody care to know more about this bike real world? Care to see the build progress? Or is this just old hat and I’m behind the times? It looks like a child's bike next to the desert tricked out 500.

1678714267877.png

Very nice. It's old but new, or is new but old.

This came to mind while reading your reasoning above.

Will be following! Not to copy, I like mine stock, but still very interesting!

Well that is kind of exciting. I have a 2015 Husky FE510S and ponder what would a replacement be.

Love to hear how it works out. . .

Plans….try to keep it tight and light, more trail focused vs. a do all machine like my old 500. I have several phases this build will probably go through. Phase 1, the have to haves, basic protection, controls, comfort. Phase 2 later this summer……suspension work, thinking about 812 in Austin and go all in. If anyone has other ideas on suspension, hit me with them. Phase 3 round out the build, some electrical stuff, more protection stuff. Phase 1 parts are in transit and will hopefully be bolted on this coming weekend. Only thing I could get done yesterday was strap a GL zig zag bag I had laying around, basic tool kit fit inside nicely. Slapped a leatherman on the forks which is a normal thing I do. And put a tire lever/wrench tool in the air box.

1678721556043.png

1678721836943.png

1678721862085.png

Tools sorted, now I can hold off worrying about any kind of tail bag. I have a Mosko rackless 40 if I have to have something. But I really want to keep this bike as naked as possible. I'm loving the skinniness.

1678722178534.png

Other mod, seat. The 300 I bought last year came with 3 seats….I kept the Seat Concepts XL Comfort one. Foreshadowing? I was able to ride this new bike around in the yard yesterday, getting a feel for the controls, seat and gearing. Controls….for now I just rotated the clamps into the forward position and adjusted things to my liking. Going to ride it some more before I worry about risers, the bars just feel taller than other bikes I've had. Stock seat, it is just terrible as expected, maybe worse. I was super happy the 2022 300 seat bolted up, major difference in comfort. Gearing, this has 13/52, it feels great in the back yard doing figure 8s and practicing stationary direction changes. Can’t wait to get it in fast scenarios and slow technical. I wondered if they went lower cause you do have TC? I've checked over the bike, axle nuts, coolant/oil levels, lowered tire pressures from 25 to 12. And looked the bike over touching various bolts etc. Only thing I found loose was the rim locks.

1678721704943.png

Helmet. You always want a new helmet when you get a new bike. Before we officially agreed on the price of the bike out the door, I got them to throw in a helmet. It is not a top of the line, but it will work for a good knock around trail helmet. The colors are a little loud for me, but it was the only helmet they had in punkin size, XXL. More to come…..parts in route and a true ride this weekend is in the plans.

1678721934271.png

Handsome! Needs dirt but that'll come. Friends used to call their 450's schizophrenic motorcycles. Said they'd go from mild to wild and hang on!

Handsome! Needs dirt but that'll come. Friends used to call their 450's schizophrenic motorcycles. Said they'd go from mild to wild and hang on!
I'm hoping that since this flavor 450 is tuned for enduro and is based on the 500 SOHC design, it's more tractor than flame thrower.

I'd watch that but I know it'll be devoid of typical Steveisms and silly memes. Still waiting to see how this review plays out.

Looks like a lot of fun. Good choice avoiding the EPA stuf since it is so easy to tag anything in Texas. So now we just set some dates for a Arkansas ride, let me know.

Looks like a lot of fun. Good choice avoiding the EPA stuf since it is so easy to tag anything in Texas. So now we just set some dates for an Arkansas ride, let me know.
I’m actually going in a few weeks…..but not on that bike. So much to do, so little time.

It's Christmas morning!!!

1679174188318.png

My riding grounds got an inch of rain, sorry test ride postponed. But parts can certainly go on the bike, thought I would blab about that. Handguards—I went with EE guards, I like the end bolt being tapered/flush. Also bought anti-vibe inserts, I was going to upgrade and tap the bar ends anyway, thought I would try this for a little bit more money, but not as much money as Flexxbars. Years ago when riding the 500 in technical stuff for long periods, my left hand would go numb. Mounted up some Flexxbars and completely stopped any numb hand problems, like for good. I can ride all day for a week with those bars, if the rest of me doesn’t fall apart. I like them for the isolation, the give/flex in the bars is a side benefit. This new setup on the 4fiddy is a good experiment for now and hopefully saves me money (flexxbars are $400 now). Had to chase the threads on one of the brass pieces, quality these days I guess. You might also notice I cut down the stock levers. I always cut them at the “break away” notch. Works good for me on the trail….DIY solution like the shorter levers they sell.

1679174217169.png

1679174231420.png

1679174244887.png

1679174257418.png

1679174269064.png

1679176115727.png

Rear rotor guard—I went with Bullet Proof Designs. I like their stuff, used them in the past and this seems like a good piece. I like the ability to cover the caliper, will add that later when I’m not hemorrhaging money.

1679174365745.png

1679174379270.png

Some folks don’t run them and say “I’ve never bent my rotor”. Take a look at my 500s guard below that has been thousands of miles. Even if I might not have bent the rotor, I guarantee it would have had burs and nicks on the end of the rotor and that would have ate up pads. Either way, when I am out of state bashing a bike hundreds of miles from anything, I don’t have to worry about it. I am on my second set of pads on the 500 with 13000 miles…and the original ones weren’t done, I just wanted fresh for a big trip, was more worried about the pad separating from age than thickness left.

1679174409249.png

Front rotor guard—I went with plastic Cycra. The plastic one I have on the front of my 500 has been good for me. This is not like the rear, its not taking the brunt of the rocks, it is mostly a deflector. I don’t see the need of the aluminum version on the front for what I do, costs more, weighs more and I’m looking to glance by rocks with the front, if I’m doing it right.

1679174433964.png

1679174447172.png

Mirror—bike came with the silly Acerbis one as part of the dealer making it "street legal". That mirror is a joke, inspection only type thing. I picked up a top clamp to work with my stock clutch, along with a ram ball. Now I can throw a double take up there at a moment’s notice if the ride dictates. This bike won’t be on the street much, it is more for a quick glance to see if a wingman is there if I’m leading an all-day ride. My neck can start hurting from looking back and it is something I try to protect. Had to chase the threads, the ball was not wanting to cooperate, theme for the day.

1679174473594.png

1679174487801.png

1679174501032.png

License plate holder—I needed something. I don’t like them mounted vertical, they seem to take more abuse that direction. Thought about going with one of those flexible mounts, but it costs 5x more and was bigger….and weighed more. Will give this a go, been pretty good on my 500 (original plate still). Most of the hits it took was from people following too close to me and running into me, classic. On the note of a street tag, sometimes when you are courting a new bike you don’t think about insurance costs. This bike is $12 a month full coverage. Nice compared to a new big bike, I was caught off guard with the AT I had.

1679174527095.png

Radiator guards is high on my list but I thought I could hold off a bit. Skid plate as well, would like a better one but this stock one really isn’t too shabby. There is more to do to the bike, but this stuff was a step in the right direction. The bike is ready and loaded. Ok, ok…..bike review. It’s coming…..hold your horses, or your handlebars. I’m not a muddy type guy, I’m not going to go slop around like a pig, that is not what I got this machine for. Next weekend looks to be better weather. After I wrapped up the 4fiddy work…..I started working on the 9fiddy today. Getting him ready for a big ride I have coming up in a few weeks. Got him packed and took him out for a shakedown today. 50 degrees and sprinkles, I called it good after a couple hours. Cooking ribs now. TTFN

1679174782942.png

1679174798376.png

1679174811498.png

Last edited:
Why’s the girlie tire on the front? Real men run rear 18’s.

Attachments

• B3DBCFDB-141D-4453-9F2A-543755EDA9FA.jpeg
    B3DBCFDB-141D-4453-9F2A-543755EDA9FA.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 61
Why’s the girlie tire on the front? Real men run rear 18’s.
It’s on my mind constantly, my girlyness. I’m going to wear that 21” out and regroup. A lot of my Texas riding is tight skinny stuff. The fat front tire shines in the desert and wide open country. I’m curious how this more nimble 450 dedicated trail machine performs with the tire options. I’m sure a rear tire will make an appearance on the front of the 450 in due time!

It’s on my mind constantly, my girlyness. I’m going to wear that 21” out and regroup. A lot of my Texas riding is tight skinny stuff. The fat front tire shines in the desert and wide open country. I’m curious how this more nimble 450 dedicated trail machine performs with the tire options. I’m sure a rear tire will make an appearance on the front of the 450 in due time!
Just kidding of course…just got back from a week in Big Bend - the 18 does very well out there as well.

At least I know this is going to be a thorough review of the bike, no ninny tip toe riding going on here.

Bike got rode this weekend on family property with decent tests under varied conditions. Technical stuff in several flavors…..woods, rocks, creek beds, hill climbs, mud, single track, pasture land.

1679796815413.jpeg

Technical stuff—Still learning the engine but it did what I asked it to. Played in some ravines and I tried to upset it, flame it out, she wouldn’t have it. Not once all weekend. Did some super slow speed trials type stuff, clutch is like butta and I like the low gearing. Chassis/suspension feels good, really planted. I can get by until more work is done for my weight. I’m not going to be hitting g-outs at 70mph any time soon, mostly single tracking.

1679796863459.jpeg

I like that on my 500 you can be in the “wrong” gear and get away with it in technical stuff, think slow speed 2nd gear. I would call this bike a kissing cousin to the 500 but not quite the same. And it revs up quickly when you want to hop a log or something…feels different than the 500 in that regard. The 500 never felt like it reacted quickly, it just pushed forward like bluto vs. revving itself up like daffy duck. The 450 flywheel must be different, I could rev it, back off, let clutch out and still feel the inertia wound up? Think less grunt, more reactionary? I’m still trying to pay attention to it, but it is not a drastic difference, they are both basically 50hp machines. And it’s hard not to just ride it fast and have fun.

1679799338505.jpeg

1679796917916.jpeg

I wish I could ride a fresh new 500 back to back to compare. But it would never be apples to apples, tires, gearing, weight, exhaust etc. when compared to most folk’s late model EXC setups. I have to hope the 450 might be the sweet spot 350-500 and have to believe it will be happier than some of the smaller bores when I ask more of it in the desert or dual sporting. Pulling my rear around is not like toting a 160lb dude named Pierre. And I need to remember that the factory engineering with clean fuel mapping comparative to EXCs is spot on.

1679796940848.jpeg

Tires—on my 500 when I run non-dot tires it has been the IRC Volcanduro VE33 Gekkota Gummy rear the last few years. That tire has been good to me. Front—Shinko 546. The 4fiddy came with Dunlop MX33s. I’m thinking of running the Dunlops, just cause that will be easier to remember than the other one with seven names, ha ha. Just kidding, when these wear out, probably won’t go back, compound feels too soft to me. The front flat I got yesterday….don’t want to blame the soft tire and wimpy thin tube, but it was a small thorn that took me out the first hour of riding. Just tore it down yesterday and put a real tube in. In the future I will probably have two setups. My VE33/Shinko dirt getup for around home and my desert getup will most likely be Pirelli MT43 Front, rear TBD, going to experiment. VE33, Motoz Desert, MT43. Depends on length of ride, pavement involved, offroad soil terrain etc. I put a lot of hours on the machine today, no flats with the thicker tube? Or I just got unlucky yesterday?

1679797284609.jpeg

Had to build an army core of engineer bridge where I dropped the bike yesterday. It works.

1679797055714.jpeg

1679797090023.jpeg

1679797182374.jpeg

Open terrain—she’s got some legs. I felt there was more bite than my 500 out of the hole. But it’s probably not fair. This bike is so fresh and new. I think it is kind of like after an oil change, you think your bike runs better…..this one is all shiny and new, surely it is faster? But for real, it is geared lower than my 500 was from factory (500 was 13/50, 450 is 13/52) and it is noticeably lighter and slimmer…..and dang what a wheel lofter!

1679797226030.jpeg

1679797255851.jpeg

If you go back in time with my 500, back to the year 2014 when it was fresh and I ran it naked…..I remember thinking he was pretty ferocious when the kraken was released as well. And thought for a 500, dang he is light. So they are really similar. One is like a 50 year old Jennifer Aniston, the other is like a 30 year old Jennifer Aniston. You would be stoked riding either one.

1679797406619.jpeg

Controls. I need to get my fatter rally grips installed, I bought them but this dang snap lock crap stopped me, have to buy a throttle tube. These stock grips must fit Pierre. And I will need risers after all, found myself really leaning down and forward when not really called for.

1679797480389.jpeg

Spring is sprung. I put some decent miles on the bike cleaning up my trails of the new growth. I would make my normal loop around the 100 acres while trimming limbs and then take a break. But couldn’t help wanting to get back on the bike and ride.

1679798524651.jpeg

1679798293125.jpeg

1679797594664.jpeg

1679797665406.jpeg

1679797862474.jpeg

I usually do all the trail work solo, but my son is getting old enough to be helpful. Almost there, the point where he is stronger than me and has more stamina. Couple more years. Can’t wait!

1679797943542.jpeg

1679798007732.jpeg

1679798449337.jpeg

1679798594546.jpeg

I rode harder and more aggressively today than any time in the past out here, on any machine. The bike made me do it. I wanted to do it. And it wasn’t just a case of a new toy. The bike was just dang fun!

1679798086058.jpeg

I even felt compelled to add some aggressive sneaker trails to “my loop”. Think hard enduro.

1679798125579.jpeg

1679798180525.jpeg

Can we cut a trail through this? You bet.

1679798651082.jpeg

1679798689384.jpeg

Having done all this clean up and additions, I was running it pretty hard to test out the flow of the loop. And getting tired completing one lap aggressively. Got me curious how long could my “lap” be on this 100 acres? Measured it, 3 mile long loop! And I have my sights on more to add that will challenge.

1679798237767.jpeg

Back to the bike and to summarize. The main thing that stands out, nimbleness, it is very 300 like in how I can flick him around. You can ride this bike hotter than the 500 and get away with it. The 500 is like a Cummins and you have to be deliberate in your moves sometimes, and counter moves. The 450 is a hemi, requires less thinking, less effort! But that is kind of the thing….you end up riding harder and faster in the tight stuff, so you still get tired. Maybe the big question is—should you get a 500 instead? If I were only going to have one bike l and were going to ask the bike to do it all, single track, dual sport, longer mileage days on back roads….yes on the 500. But for me, I wanted a play bike that could slay the trails, run light and tight. I still have my 500 for bigger adventures. And I have my Super Enduro for bigger miles. This 450 fits my desires perfectly. And as I did with my 500, I plan to have a large desert tank with a second fuel pump fully plumbed for the 450 for hot tank swaps…….so will eventually have a better dual sport comparison, but that is months, maybe a year away as the 450’s primary job is to be a low geared trail bike/hard enduro machine. Mission accomplished I think. Will post more when I ride it some more and/or mod it some more. Smell ya later!

1679798762276.jpeg

Back