• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: 2023 NMBDR - Small Bike Run

I would be interested in this ride. sounds perfect for my DR650. I’ve always wanted to ride a BDR but a 75 mph slog on the interstate to get there has no appeal to me. a slower pace on backroads is much more to my liking and doing it with a group is sure much safer. I’m in Houston but starting in Liberty Hill is no problem. I’ll watch for updates.

It sounds interesting, you have definitely put some thought in to it which is good
Thank you Aaron I appreciate the compliment. If you have any questions please feel free to ask either publicly or send me a PM for my contact info. More than happy to discuss the general plan in detail. Please note I maybe a bit slow in my reply's on the Forum.
-Jimmy

I would be interested in this ride. sounds perfect for my DR650. I’ve always wanted to ride a BDR but a 75 mph slog on the interstate to get there has no appeal to me. a slower pace on backroads is much more to my liking and doing it with a group is sure much safer. I’m in Houston but starting in Liberty Hill is no problem. I’ll watch for updates.
Morning Rick, I totally understand the lack of appeal in riding a thumper at sustained highway speeds for endless hours no fun in being "whipped" before you really even start. On that note if the ride does turn out to be a ride your going to go on, opposed to your riding from Houston to Liberty Hill if you have a way to haul your bike you can park your vehicle and trailer at my house.

Feel free to reach out with any questions and/or comments.
-Jimmy

watching the thread
Buddy (Lynn) and I have KLX250s
Done a trip into MX
This sounds like fun as well
Fuel range - only possible problem
Get approx 100 miles before fuel light goes on (used 1.3 gallons of 2) - so suspect range of about 150 miles (until dry)
(all depends on how we ride - can be more/less)
But we always carry RotoPax - extrax 1 gallon
So this may suffice
And 60 mph on slab - about what we can do

Reactions: JSP
watching the thread
Buddy (Lynn) and I have KLX250s
Done a trip into MX
This sounds like fun as well
Fuel range - only possible problem
Get approx 100 miles before fuel light goes on (used 1.3 gallons of 2) - so suspect range of about 150 miles (until dry)
(all depends on how we ride - can be more/less)
But we always carry RotoPax - extrax 1 gallon
So this may suffice
And 60 mph on slab - about what we can do
Afternoon Ben, I don't see any challenges that can't be over came working within those requirements. I already have the slab time calculated for less than posted limits. The fuel I think we can figure out, there are a few sections of BDR where fuel is currently an issue in conjunction with a few 200mile stretches, but once again we can figure out a solution to that small challenge. I'm normally a solo rider just because I'm selfish and its easy but when I do participate in a group ride I feel that we should all come together to work as a team to ensure the entire group has fun, safe, & accomplishes the group's goals. So if some of us in the group has to carry a little more fuel for others for the longer stretches then that's what we do - Every challenge always has 2 options.
-Jimmy

This could be fun fun fun

hopefully NM will have recovered from fires by next sept.
I do think it should be fun seasoned riders while also presenting an opportunity for some that may haven't traveled before.

With regards to national forest closures - yes that is a real concern.
I already have an (Option B) semi-planned if there is a closure of 25 percent or more. I didn't include that info in the post as I wanted to say focused on the NMBDR ride but will be a point of discussion that I will bring to the riders meeting. Somethings are a bit easier to hash-out in a active in person group meeting I feel.
We can only plan all will be good and be prepared to adjust where needed.
-Jimmy

This looks like it could be fun. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. Gives me lots of time to see just how reliable my new bike is before going on a 2-3 week ride.
Well planned btw.

This looks like it could be fun. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. Gives me lots of time to see just how reliable my new bike is before going on a 2-3 week ride.
Well planned btw.
Afternoon, Please do and if you have any questions or comments feel free to contact me or post them. Without hijacking my own thread - congrats on the new bike and an excellent choice by the way. I was looking for a replacement for my aging R12GSA and the 890 ADV-R was in the top 3 but couldn't find one or an ETA on one - so I decided what the heck I'll go a whole other direction and give a "small" bike a go..... its going to be an adventure LOL
-Jimmy

Sounds like a great ride. Definitely interested. I will be retired by then. And my wife is planning on purchasing a KTM 390 Adventure very soon. Maybe if I’m really good between now and September 2023 she will let me borrow it. I’ll be monitoring for updates.

Might wanna check that route thru Gila forest. I think it could be in the Black fire right now. Much of Gila just burned. In the range of 350,000 acres I think.

Reactions: JMZ
Sounds really interesting. I would love to do something like this on my DR650.
Getting away for that long is unlikely, so I probably can't...but if I could...these are my thoughts

#1 125 miles until reserve on stock tank, maybe 150 'til dry. I would have to carry a gas can with an extra 2 gallons.
#2 up to 9 hours in one day, I definitely would have to replace the stock DR650 seat
#3 lower speeds with smaller bikes, just my speed
#4 deep sand, I better get some practice first, maybe a weekend at the beach
#5 personally, I would prefer to spend less than half the nights in a hotel.
#6 If there was a spot that the track crossed both out and back, I might skip the long pavements days, truck my DR to that point and leave the truck there.

Again, I probably can't go, so don't think about changing things on my account. I'm just dreaming about "what if."

Sounds like a great ride. Definitely interested. I will be retired by then. And my wife is planning on purchasing a KTM 390 Adventure very soon. Maybe if I’m really good between now and September 2023 she will let me borrow it. I’ll be monitoring for updates.
Try to be good between now and 9/23 LOL

Might wanna check that route thru Gila forest. I think it could be in the Black fire right now. Much of Gila just burned. In the range of 350,000 acres I think.
Hi Ed, We do but I doubt I'l going to get much info right now regarding the condition of the route given we're over year away from the stated departure date of September 2023. Before reservations are made and around the 6month prior mark I'll start checking on route conditions etc....
-Jimmy

Sounds really interesting. I would love to do something like this on my DR650.
Getting away for that long is unlikely, so I probably can't...but if I could...these are my thoughts

#1 125 miles until reserve on stock tank, maybe 150 'til dry. I would have to carry a gas can with an extra 2 gallons.
#2 up to 9 hours in one day, I definitely would have to replace the stock DR650 seat
#3 lower speeds with smaller bikes, just my speed
#4 deep sand, I better get some practice first, maybe a weekend at the beach
#5 personally, I would prefer to spend less than half the nights in a hotel.
#6 If there was a spot that the track crossed both out and back, I might skip the long pavements days, truck my DR to that point and leave the truck there.

Again, I probably can't go, so don't think about changing things on my account. I'm just dreaming about "what if."
Hi, Thank you for the feedback and hopefully when the time come you will be able to make it.

I've responded to your 6 points below.
#1 I've tried to keep fulling stops around the 150mile some are a few less and some are a few miles more - then the 2 long 200mile runs. But I will go back over the route as I might have missed an refueling opportunity. Either way I feel we can work through this easy enough.

#2 That the long section your referencing - but also remember the estimated travel time includes rest stops, sight seeing, etc.....
#3 & #4 :-) Sounds like you got it covered
#5 My thoughts we can see hope the finial riders group feels and adjust from there. I have more dry camping on the days I didn't not list above.
#6 Not really its more of a start at one point end at another.

-Jimmy

Make sure to eat a CFS at the Mayhill cafe. It is darn good. One other non motorcycle suggestion......when you reach Antonito, NM take a extra day(if you can) to ride the Cumbres and Toltec train ride, it is more than amazing.

Last edited:

she can’t let you borrow it if she goes on the trip!

Make sure to eat a CFS at the Mayhill cafe. It is darn good. One other non motorcycle suggestion......when you reach Antonito, NM take a extra day(if you can) to ride the Cumbres and Toltec train ride, it is more than amazing.
Thank you Drew for the suggestions - always love a good CFS :-) I was looking at their menu and everything looked good.

I just left Cloudcroft and rumor was the forest was open again. Beautiful place! I’m posting to get alerts in the plan. I’m interested in participating.

Back