• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: 2023 NMBDR - Small Bike Run

Since some riders will be traveling a little faster than us little bikes can go on the highways sections I started a estimated destination and travel tracker. Once I'm happy with the format of the tracker I'll build it out for the entire trip. Its just estimated but its good to have a general reference of how long and where we will be etc.....

Since I built the tracker it makes sense to me.... but is it easy to understand? Any suggestions, adds, deletes, etc....?

There are 3 average speed estimates shown; 55, 65, and 75 MPH
Example: For those of us traveling at 55mph it will take us 1 hour and 18 minutes to get to the 2nd waypoint for those traveling 75mph it will take them 57 minutes to get to the 2nd waypoint.

View attachment 332587
Nice job! This really helps to conceptualize the journey. Not as bad looking at it this way from a small bike perspective.

Reactions: JSP
Nice job! This really helps to conceptualize the journey. Not as bad looking at it this way from a small bike perspective.
Thank you Doyle. It might feel like an eternity when we're on those long west Texas roads but hey its not all that bad. :rider: I'm still dealing with my back issues so I can only sit in the saddle so long before I have to get off and stretch regards of speed - hints why I put those 15min stops ever so often.

Thank you Doyle. It might feel like an eternity when we're on those long west Texas roads but hey its not all that bad. :rider: I'm still dealing with my back issues so I can only sit in the saddle so long before I have to get off and stretch regards of speed - hints why I put those 15min stops ever so often.
I am glad your think of the breaks ever so often to rest but you need to factor in the heat of west Texas in August are September in the middle of the day its brutal

@Auto what Triumph do you have? My 13 800XC was more than capable of anything on the BMBDR.

I had an 2018 Tiger 800 XrT and I will say the bike was on the low side of capable for CO BDR, I did not have any real issues on the NMBDR Section 6, mainly suspension not friendly in the loose shale. The my new 900 RP is like night and day on capability from a comfort, suspension, and confidence level. Fact still remains it is a little heavy for the tighter and more technical parts I have encountered in WY and CO. Thus why the 500 KTM is now in the garage.

I’m in for this one. I think my Super Sherpa can do it. Should I rethink this decision?
this is rick anderson. we camped in Luling a few weeks ago. i hope it works out that you can go on this BDR. it should be a great experience.

I’m in for this one. I think my Super Sherpa can do it. Should I rethink this decision?
Great hope you make it.
Nothing to rethink on bike choice.
You might consider extra fuel carry capacity I see that being the reality of all of us on smaller bikes.

Last edited:
I would love to try small bike type event like this with my XT250. (I did the CDR on a 790 Adv during summer of 2021.). As long folks are committed to max of 60mph and the fuel range of the small bikes 150mi something like this could be a blast.

There is a certain element of fun in a lightweight bike that is different from the heavier bikes. (I own a 1250GSA as well.) I am hopefully that I can join if I can make the time align to work and family commitments.

I would love to try small bike type event like this with my XT250. (I did the CDR on a 790 Adv during summer of 2021.). As long folks are committed to max of 60mph and the fuel range of the small bikes 150mi something like this could be a blast.

There is a certain element of fun in a lightweight bike that is different from the heavier bikes. (I own a 1250GSA as well.) I am hopefully that I can join if I can make the time align to work and family commitments.
Hi John, Yes thats in-line with my initial post with regards to the sprit of the ride etc.... There is the possibility we may have two groups - those that choose to ride the HWY section at a higher speed than those of us on the smaller bikes and thats fine, we will just meet up with them at the stops. But yes those of us on smaller bikes will be riding at the 55-60 mph speed for the hwy sections.

Last edited:
Your trip to NM BDR in September 2023 sounds great!

I had planned to ride the NM BDR this September 2022, but the fires may not permit. I will monitor to see if possible to go this September. If NM doesn’t work out, I may go to AZ BDR instead. I was looking for others that may want to go this year, since I don’t think going solo is practical for these BDR trips.

Leaving from Austin, I have an enclosed trailer to haul up to (4) bikes, but that still requires a long ride back to the trailer. Or just pack the bike and ride the entire trip. Still looking at that. Just wanted to know if others in this area with good riding experience are available and interested in checking off these BDR routes over the next few years.

I plan to ride the Hill Country area every month, but also at least (2) BDR routes a year to check off as many of the (11) routes as I can. If there are others looking to do the same, please let me know.

Jeff
218 791-4290
2021 KTM 890 Adventure R
Did you ever go to the AZ BDR?

Jimmy….I’m new to forum and just now saw the info on your NMBDR trip. Just exactly what I’m looking for. Questions: I live near to Dell City. Can I simply join the ride there? From my reading and research, the ride from Ruidoso to T or C, along side the White Sands middle range, is sketchy at best. Extremely deep sand when dry and very bad mud when wet. Lots of failures here. Perhaps you’ve already addressed this and I missed it. Also, why September?

Eddy S

September is after rain season so shooting for dry weather i assume and cooler temps.

I still can’t remember any deep sand. I got Reserve before a bent wheel took me out. But deep sand to me is like riding on the beach or AZ/CA desert.

September is a good month to do it. Gives us more than enough time to plan accordingly and like you said… somewhat cooler temps.

Now that’s not to say we can’t get another BDR ride in earlier in the year right?

By the way welcome to the TWT forum EddySteve.

Jimmy….I’m new to forum and just now saw the info on your NMBDR trip. Just exactly what I’m looking for. Questions: I live near to Dell City. Can I simply join the ride there? From my reading and research, the ride from Ruidoso to T or C, along side the White Sands middle range, is sketchy at best. Extremely deep sand when dry and very bad mud when wet. Lots of failures here. Perhaps you’ve already addressed this and I missed it. Also, why September?

Eddy S
Hi Eddy, Welcome to the forum, thanks for reaching out with the great questions.

(1) I live near to Dell City. Can I simply join the ride there? Unfortunately Eddy you will need to ride all the way to Liberty Hill to turn around to ride back to Dell City, sorry.... :rider: Just Joking Eddy of course you can just meet-up with the group in Dell City

(2) From my reading and research, the ride from Ruidoso to T or C, along side the White Sands middle range, is sketchy at best. Extremely deep sand when dry and very bad mud when wet. Currently there's few sections that are unrideable due to washouts, down trees, etc... We're more than 10months out so a lot can change in that time. While the goal is to keep track of current conditions to help plan routes accordingly I will not get so bogged down with what maybe that we don't get to experience the what is. That being said it's not a trip about trying to push the limits of man and machine its about enjoying nature, making new friends and sharing a passion. If we come to section that's beyond the skills of a rider & machine odds are there's others that will feel the same way at which time we as the group will formulate a workaround.

(3) Also, why September? The primary reason is what Drunk_Uncle said - hopefully cooler and dryer conditions.

-Jimmy

Jimmy…very cool. Love this forum….smile. Friendly, smart people with a sense of humor. Unusual these days. The ride you have planned could not be better for me. I planned on doing it solo until now. If me and my bike are still alive by Antonito I may try to go ahead and ride the COBDR while I’m at it.

btw…do you have a limit on the number of riders or an estimate of how many will participate? I’m sure the real answer is, if I’d go back and read the entire thread I could answer my own questions….smile.

I am getting excited about this ride. Originally planned on joining at Reserve to finish what I started, but thinking about joining at Ruidoso. Will most likely be on the KLR. But September is ways off and who knows what horse trading could occur.

September is a good month to do it. Gives us more than enough time to plan accordingly and like you said… somewhat cooler temps.

Now that’s not to say we can’t get another BDR ride in earlier in the year right?

By the way welcome to the TWT forum EddySteve.
Thanks for the welcome mr pan am…like I said..friendly, smart people with a sense of humor make good riding buds. Are you down for this NMBDR ride? Wonder how many will go?

eddy s

Thanks for the welcome mr pan am…like I said..friendly, smart people with a sense of humor make good riding buds. Are you down for this NMBDR ride? Wonder how many will go?

eddy s
Oh yeah… I’ve been wanting to do a BDR for some time now. I hope to get at least two BDRs in next year. I have the time of to do it that’s for sure. I really want to do the Mexico trip also.

eddy s
Also if there a lot of folks doing it likely it will break up in groups. I don’t want to speak for the organizer but this is what I’ve seen done in the past. Folks break up in skill groups and with the people they jive with best. Either way I’m really looking forward to this one. I got the Super Sherpa running great this weekend

Jimmy…very cool. Love this forum….smile. Friendly, smart people with a sense of humor. Unusual these days. The ride you have planned could not be better for me. I planned on doing it solo until now. If me and my bike are still alive by Antonito I may try to go ahead and ride the COBDR while I’m at it.

btw…do you have a limit on the number of riders or an estimate of how many will participate? I’m sure the real answer is, if I’d go back and read the entire thread I could answer my own questions….smile.
No worries Eddy - I think you will find most everyone on the TWTEX forum friendly.
Ridding the NMBDR then right on to the COBDR - you're a monster. :-P That would surely would be fun and I would be right there with you if I was 25 years younger...

Regarding any limits or the estimated number of the group size. There are no limits on the number of people that can go. As far as how many riders will participate well SpiritAtBay made an accurate statement. There's maybe a great interest from a lot of riders but when it comes to actually going the numbers dwindle rapidly. Its simply just the nature of setting up a public group ride where the participates have no-skin in the game so to speak and I'm fine with that I just want to provide the opportunity for riders to come together if they so choose.

Back