• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

20th Anniversary - Rich Mountain Rendezvous 2019 - it's time!!!

It was really nice to make the trip, see familiar faces and meet new ones. I had a lot of fun, listened to and had some great conversations. Also got in some good riding even though it was cut shorter than I expected. You all should be proud of yourselves TWT, yall are good people. Also the folks in AR are really nice and very hospitable, one in particular saved my bacon for a few hours holding the WR for recovery. Also, they know how to fry some food! Oh my gosh my taste buds were so happy with these fried chicken wings from Ed and Linda's...and the Grilled Chicken sandwich at Oark General Store :drool: I ate well, that's for sure.

Anyway, great trip. I can't wait to see you guys next month at Roll the Bones.

You must live in the country. Our internet options are satellite or wireless. We have wireless at $125/mo for 12 down / 1 up speeds. Still love country livin'.

We're on satellite internet at my house. Barely a step up from dial up internet. Some big provider claims they are doing hardwired internet in our area soon. Here's hoping. I mostly operate off my phone at home for anything past text based websites otherwise it's far too slow to get anything done.

Also the folks in AR are really nice and very hospitable, one in particular saved my bacon for a few hours holding the WR for recovery.
Alright you threw it out there. What happened to the WR?:popcorn:

in no particular order...

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_2015.JPG

we had lunch at a real biker bar! everything was FRIED. Deliciously fried!

IMG_2018.JPG

Alright you threw it out there. What happened to the WR?:popcorn:
Uh oh... now ya gotta tell him Monica
Correction: tell EVERYONE here. 😂

Friday morning all exciting and full of anticipation...

Hit a little pavement, hit a little dirt...

We stopped for lunch at Ed and Linda's Bar...great fried chicken wings, and the tenders were amazing I hear too. We talk about our next stop...

Gina suggested the Rune place...and I was like "Whaaaa??" And finally I caught on

We figured out the Heavener Runestone is a good place to go, do a little walk..so off we went, "start button engage!!", and it was like... <slow crank weak battery sound> 😕 bur Mr. AB (copyright SpiritAtBay) turned over. "Hmm, wierd..."

Off to the Runestone we go. Perfect timing as a big storm cell was passing right over.

Need I say more?

Yes, yes I need. So it was noticed that Mr AB started slow, which was weird after a day of riding. It wasn't charging which means it is on battery power only. Would it die on the road? Should I parked it now before it has a chance to die in a bad spot in the road?. We began discussion of "If the bike doesn't start" plan gor when the rain stopped.

And we went out and tried and it didn't start. So the plan became real life real quick.

The clerk at the Heavener Runestone had been chatting with us, finding out about where we are visiting from and generally being a great host. We inquired with her where would be a secure place to park Mr AB for a few hours until we could go back with the truck. Fire station? Local parking lot? Or a generous, "Park it right here at my house with security cams and I wil leave the gate open to the park"

:bow:

So that's what we did. Pushed the WR up the drive, (Gina steered, Rebecca and I were the muscle), then I rode 2up w JT back to camp where we had some well deserved cheeseburgers, .....before embarking on the next adventure to pick up the bike...

Last edited:
Reactions: cdc
more....

IMG_2050.JPG

beautiful Rebecca

IMG_2048.jpg

handsome NotDave

59017771300__57AB0980-F694-477C-8F3F-646CA359AD76.JPG

happy JT. John is always happy at Oark Cafe

IMG_2044.JPG

front door to Oark cafe. where's the TWT sticker? somebody rectify that asap!

Bummer about the charging. I hope it is something simple. I’m glad you got some riding in and had friends with you when you needed them.

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

the rune itself. a huge slab of a rock. a building has been built around it.

IMG_2040.JPG

altho bummed about Mr AB flaking out on her-Monica showed up next morning in riding gear-ready to ride!

IMG_2038.JPG

Burrito Monica

IMG_2026.jpg

on our way to see the runestone. dark clouds gathering...

IMG_2014.JPG

this was in the biker bar we lunched at. rough place.

IMG_2005.jpg

JT gives two thumbs up. just minutes before, Mr AB had a sudden need for a dirt nap....

Bummer about the charging. I hope it is something simple. I’m glad you got some riding in and had friends with you when you needed them.
Oh sure, will get it sorted out no problem. And yes, definite advantage to be riding with a group of people more valuable than their weight in gold. I am learning a lot in these adventures and I wouldn't have it any other way :thumb:

GAH! I love this so much! OK - first thing... if we owe you a shirt, you may have gotten an order from the system. Ignore it - that's just me trying to catch up and make sure you get what you need.

Next... I would LOVE to have all your photos for the RMR site and I can't always gank them from here. So if you want to have some in the "family photo album" for 2019, please please please email them to rmr4casa@gmail.com and I'll put them out for the world (or our world) to see.

Last... if anyone can find of picture they took of me where it doesn't look like I'm about to bite the *** off a bear, I'd love to see that. I'm not sure it exists.

And for real last... THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR BEING PART OF THE FUN!!! I truly hope each and every one of you will come back next year. Bring friends. Bring puppy dogs. Bring your favorite bottle of whatever. Now that my young'un is experienced in the ways of RMR, my plan is to make him do everything so I can just hang out and have fun. :rider:

Also wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone that helped at this event and all of you that put up with me, my wife and daughter. After the RMR we drove to Jasper. And spent 3 days riding the most amazing roads and seeing fantastic scenery, I got slightly sunburnt but what a wonderful time.. hope to see everyone again next year or sooner.. now need to find out what died on my dirt bike, the ignition coil is good, the pickup coils are good and the wiring loom seems good, everything is pointing at the ECU, I have a spare bike so will swap the ecu tomorrow and see if that fixes it, then I will know what I need to order. Once again a massive thanks to everyone that stayed with my wife whilst I went and recovered the car and trailer. 😀

Next... I would LOVE to have all your photos for the RMR site and I can't always gank them from here. So if you want to have some in the "family photo album" for 2019, please please please email them to rmr4casa@gmail.com and I'll put them out for the world (or our world) to see.

Last... if anyone can find of picture they took of me where it doesn't look like I'm about to bite the *** off a bear, I'd love to see that. I'm not sure it exists.

Working on my photos still. You can hold out some hope that I have a shot of you that is decent. Unfortunately I failed with my Cynthia shot this year. The one I liked so much when I took it turned out to be slightly out of focus. Dang it. And I stopped trying after that because I thought I nailed it. Oh well, another lesson learned.

well got my dirt bike apart and it seems the alternator has failed!! There are 2 windings, one charges the battery and the second powers the ignition system!! The ignition system coil has gone open circuit, so no volts, hence the ignition doesn't work and no spark!! Plugged my ECU into my spare 450X and it works perfectly, everything else checks out okay, unfortunately Honda want $200 for a new alternator assembly!! Hope to have it next week!! Guess it just failed from old age and vibration (the bike is 12 years old and has covered thousands of miles all across the USA (nearly all dirt!) so I guess I can't complain too much!!).

Gary

well got my dirt bike apart and it seems the alternator has failed....

Sorry there wasn't an easy fix for both you & Monica. Thanks to all the riders on our Friday group ride following the trio of TW200's taking time to wait on the chase truck to catch up (which, unfortunately for Gary, had already in been put to use due to a earlier failed battery on a CRF250L).

Thanks again to Cynthia & Kat & all the volunteers for taking care of us. :sun:

Rick, thanks for the offer to ride the Himalayan - sorta glad I declined - we're out of parking space and I don't need another case of the I-want-a's.

Downs, I see we played leap-frog along the Talimena parkway.

We're already looking fwd to next year. :rider:

Sorry there wasn't an easy fix for both you & Monica. Thanks to all the riders on our Friday group ride following the trio of TW200's taking time to wait on the chase truck to catch up (which, unfortunately for Gary, had already in been put to use due to a earlier failed battery on a CRF250L).

Thanks again to Cynthia & Kat & all the volunteers for taking care of us. :sun:

Rick, thanks for the offer to ride the Himalayan - sorta glad I declined - we're out of parking space and I don't need another case of the I-want-a's.

Downs, I see we played leap-frog along the Talimena parkway.

We're already looking fwd to next year. :rider:
I look forward to seeing you all next year and riding with fewer issues!! :)

Gary

At long last, I get my shots culled and edited and a final few for a gallery. To see them all, go here: Rich Mountain 2019

I only took pictures with the big camera on Friday and Saturday.

Sunrise on Friday, typical of the view from the lodge down towards Mena.

i-vCqMrhK-XL.jpg

And a wide panorama shot of the same. Click on the gallery link if you want to view it really large.

i-cXbL4GQ-XL.jpg

And it wouldn't be me with out some bugs and flowers or both.

i-HpXQC4v-XL.jpg

i-MJnjjsN-XL.jpg

Fall was in the air...

i-b6xvb95-XL.jpg

Late each evening we got to watch the Mississippi Kites fly overhead. This is a tight crop, but check out how it is peering down at us between its legs.

i-3mw2N2j-XL.jpg

And for the non-early risers that miss sunrise, there were sunsets.

i-hN784MG-XL.jpg

On Saturday I did a solo ride up to Mount Magazine. There was a Ferrari event going on. A few more pics in the gallery, but here is one of the cars.

i-pWbkVp9-XL.jpg

And the fun started Saturday evening.

i-HKDrFHX-XL.jpg

i-tf4vJ3j-XL.jpg

i-8h8Smbx-XL.jpg

Oh yeah, they have faces too.

i-JrSRtMG-XL.jpg

And the sun went down while they played and we ate and listened.

i-9nddngB-XL.jpg

i-QW9QkD5-XL.jpg

i-FFQWtQJ-XL.jpg

Oh, and had wine and beer. sKatz at work.

i-DdDfsXt-XL.jpg

Cynthia telling us about life.

i-mKqLtD4-XL.jpg

And some of the folks:

i-27RZ3HS-XL.jpg

i-brxZz5B-XL.jpg

i-Vq5xgQf-XL.jpg

Then the sun went down and things got more relaxed.

i-MKsMdRL-XL.jpg

Goodnight Gina and JT...

i-pxSMXGG-XL.jpg

As I mentioned, more in the link at the start of my post. Plus one video clip of the band.

Back