• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

20th Anniversary - Rich Mountain Rendezvous 2019 - it's time!!!

I would like opinions on the best route to Queen Wilhelmina from Central Texas... Waco-Austin Area. Not on a Motorcycle but Rv pulling a trailer.
Thanks

I'd do Corsicana, Athens, Sulphur Springs, interstate over to New Boston, up through DeQueen to Mena then up the mountain. Easier that way than going across the Talimena from the Broken Bow side. Plus I'll be coming across from the Broken Bow side on a bike and don't want to get stuck behind you 🤣

Is it really easier from Mena side or are you just saying that??? You can't catch me in my rig LOL

Is it really easier from Mena side or are you just saying that??? You can't catch me in my rig LOL

A couple more little towns, but far less climbing and descending. Or at least that's my opinion. Are you pulling a trailer with the flatbed truck you've had for a while or a full on RV? If the truck combo, go either way. Long, heavy RV, I'd go through DeQueen.

Monica, there is no gas at the Park. Closest gas stations include 13 miles East in Mena and 40 miles West/Southwest in Octavia.

Does anyone know if the Rich Mountain Country Store just 2½ miles down the road on the North base of Rich Mountain has fuel avaliable? It's been inconsistent thru the years.
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. I'm not totally comfortable yet filling the big Safari tank up, both for riding or loaded on the hauler. But I'll put some in the bike and tote the 2gal gas can just in case I need a little in a pinch.

I was scouting gas stations yesterday on Google maps. Because I'm pulling a travel trailer it looks like the best location is the Walmart in Mena (for me, at least) and there's several other stations in Mena. Some in Oklahoma but I don't plan on going through OK. There's a nice huge Buc-ee's on the north side of Temple. I'll hit that one first then to Sulfur Springs and again in Mena. Diesel. The local WallyMarts in Taylor has ethanol free regular which sometimes I treat my Suzuki to.

I'm leaving Wednesday morning between 8 and 9, plan to get up there later tomorrow afternoon and be set up. I'm gathering some basic tools, have a little air compressor, etc so if anyone needs to do some work or air up I'll accommodate. Also if it needs to happen my truck and some ramps are available if someone breaks down but if it's a heavier bike that may not work so well like a lower trailer would.
You reminded me I hadn't planned any of my road trip past FTW, or any of my diesel stops for the truck. While I35 is the easiest option, it's madness from SA to FTW.
I just wrapped up clothes packing. After a cup of coffee I'll get in the garage and be sure the bike and truck are ready to roll out in the morning. I'll be getting to the lodge Thursday for check in.

Edit:
Euromedic suggested 79 through Taylor. I may take that on the way back. On the way up I think I'll jam up 281 to Cleburn then 35 to Keller. From there 35 to Gainesville then head east.

Last edited:
I'm going to New Boston then North to Mena with my RV. The plan was to leave early Wednesday morning but we had a thunderstorm roll through this afternoon which knocked a power pole over in the road in front of our house. Currently on a generator for power. It's been almost 4 hours, the fire department is out there waiting for Oncor to arrive. The power lines crossing the road are only giving about 10 feet of clearance. They need to set a new pole. My wife doesn't want me to leave until power is restored. Whenever that is. I'm rooting for Oncor tonight as the pole is leaning toward the roadway.

Looks like I'll be coming up Thursday instead of Wednesday.

Well I'm up, having coffee. Couldn't sleep. Will load in a bit before school traffic starts. Bike first since I use the curb on the street to lower the mxhauler

I'm going to New Boston then North to Mena with my RV. The plan was to leave early Wednesday morning but we had a thunderstorm roll through this afternoon which knocked a power pole over in the road in front of our house. Currently on a generator for power. It's been almost 4 hours, the fire department is out there waiting for Oncor to arrive. The power lines crossing the road are only giving about 10 feet of clearance. They need to set a new pole. My wife doesn't want me to leave until power is restored. Whenever that is. I'm rooting for Oncor tonight as the pole is leaning toward the roadway.
Oh no, I know that storm story. Fingers crossed they can get power restored soon.

Looks like I'll be coming up Thursday instead of Wednesday.
What's the update on the power?

Oncor showed up about 4:25am with some trucks and a new pole. Looks like they're beginning the install and switch.

Being the drive with a travel trailer will take 8-9 hours for me my self set deadline to leave this morning is 10am. Trying to back a 29 foot bumper pull into a spot in the dark by myself isn't an option. I still have to finish loading but that will only take an hour or two, got derailed yesterday evening otherwise would've had everything ready to go this morning. Here's to hoping!

I've been up since 3.

Update 5:30am: there's a new pole up, our power lines are not connected yet.

Last edited:
Pole up is good. They'll have the crew there soon as they get the right truck and will get the strings tied

@Monica , when are you heading up? Today or Thursday?
I on't blame you for not watingto back the trailer in the dark alone, makes for stress and booboos lol

Leaving this morning, spending night in FTW to visit cousin, Thursday morning leave FTW and arrive at the Lodge Thursday. Check in isn't until 4 I think.

Dave, I hope the pole excitement will no distract you from your ICE Duty . . .
:trust:

Check in is at 4pm or so, but if you are there early Cynthia and Kat will put you to work helping with set up. So it isn't a bad thing to be a bit early.

Pole up is good. They'll have the crew there soon as they get the right truck and will get the strings tied

I on't blame you for not watingto back the trailer in the dark alone, makes for stress and booboos lol

Leaving this morning, spending night in FTW to visit cousin, Thursday morning leave FTW and arrive at the Lodge Thursday. Check in isn't until 4 I think.

When are you picking up the kegs [emoji23]

@cdc No worries. I have 3 ice chests though none of them are very large.

@misterk I thought someone else had keg duty.

8:40 and the power lines are still attached to the old leaning pole. No crew yet. Burnin' daylight! And gas in my generator. I coulda been in Temple by now.

UPDATE: after about 18 hours still no power, still running a generator. New pole was placed 7 hours ago and haven't seen anyone since. I guess they're waiting for the pole to take root before working on it. So, if the power comes on before 10am tomorrow I'll leave tomorrow for Arkansas.

Last edited:
Goodness, y'all are making things happen! Good. Because I have totally lost my mind. Yes, we will probably put people to work who show up early. I'm bringing my youngest spawn for extra hands on deck. He will be prepped with instructions because we have a 5 hour ride. Unless he puts in his headphones...:rofl:See you tomorrow! Not today like SOMEONE posted on Facebook... *cough cough*

Made it to FTW, lounging on cousin's couch watching Die Hard. The trip ended with drama, semi tire blew out in front of me. I missed some hit the other. Had to pull over and chk the truck and bike. All good, thank goodness.

Check in is at 4pm or so, but if you are there early Cynthia and Kat will put you to work helping with set up. So it isn't a bad thing to be a bit early.
I'll keep that in mind tonight figuring my departure time.

When are you picking up the kegs [emoji23]
Lol no kegs!
I'm getting whiskey in the morning. I've been informed Total Wine is around the corner :trust:

Power at the house was finally restored after 23 hours. I accidentally let the generator run out of gas once. All is well. It's downporing rain now so won't load the Suzuki until it passes or in the morning. Then hook up the trailer and be on my way to Rich Mountain!

Loaded and locked. Moving out!
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up, rawhide!

How many miles did you run this morning [emoji23]

You can’t hang with this, brah

F25C190D-2A5D-4EFE-98EC-051831CA4E66.gif

4A6D2141-FFA2-4D8A-A958-F222A3061759.gif

Back