• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2nd Annual Beyond EPIC Labor Day Weekend Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone riding half of day one, then returning to Austin?
I am and je2000 is also planning on it. I would be open to starting another thread where we can discuss a route back if you like. I was going to look at the map and see how much dirt we can hit on the way back.

Well Guys I'm out!

I bought a DRZ 400 and am going to take it to Arkansas!
I hate that I am going to miss you epic riders but I want to try the DRZ in some rougher terrain!:eek:
Y'all have fun.

Snugs0802:
My son and I are going on the day 1 ride. However, we just got back from Leakey and the 3 sisters last weekend and are looking for a different route to come back on. We used to have a deer lease between Rocksprings and Carta Valley off of 377. There is a dirt/gravel/rock County Road that runs between 377 and 277 north to south with some pretty good riding. We though we might come back that way and then into Rocksprings and see from there what time will permit. We are open to other ideas as long as there is some dirt riding on the way back.

I'll take some time tonight/tomorrow and look at my Roads of Texas map and propose a route back. I personally want to hit as much dirt as possible but unfortunately, I can't clearly tell from the map which roads are paved or not. :flip:

Maybe after I submit a proposal Richard/Rusty and look at it and give any suggestions. :ponder:

Wow, I feel like I'm prepping for a design review!! Inside joke for all the software developers out there. ;-)

Snugs0802:
There is a dirt/gravel/rock County Road that runs between 377 and 277 north to south with some pretty good riding. We though we might come back that way and then into Rocksprings...

Anthony,

I think I know the road you are talking about. It shows on my Roads of Texas Atlas as a CR and joins 377 & 277. A buddy and I tried to ride that road 3 years ago from 277 south to 377. We hit a "private road" sign a short distance after turning on the road, so we backtracked and ran pavement instead. I called the county commissioner a few days later and was told the county had abandoned the road to the landowners and it was now a private road.

If we are talking about the same road and you have legal access to it, then I vote we all ride it on Sunday. I've love to ride that road.

I personally want to hit as much dirt as possible...

I'd be pleased to review and/or make suggestions for any route you come up with.

As for hitting as much dirt as possible, if you aren't particularly time restrainted, here's a route that will get you to Bandera on mostly dirt.

From Junction:

RR1674/I-10 west to Old Junction Road
Old Junction Road south to 377
377 south to Rocksprings
Hwy 55 south to White Mtn Road (CR 310)
White Mtn Road south to Cedar Creek Rd
Cedar Creek rd to Barksdale
(Juncton/White Mtn/Cedar Creek are what we will be riding on Sunday)
Hwy 55 south to Camp Wood
337 east to Lower Sabinal River Road (between Leakey and Vanderpool)
Lower Sabinal River Road south to Utopia
Hwy 187 south from Utopia to Seco Road
Seco Rd / Utopia Rd east to Ross Rd
Ross Rd north, then east to RR 462
RR 462 north to Tarpley
RR 470 east to Hwy 16 east to Bandera

There's a bunch of dirt on this route. It will take 3/4 day to reach Bandera, assumming you leave Junction around 8a.m. and don't make a lot of stops. Good riding though.

I'm open to riding this route too if the consensus of the riders in my group is to do so.

Last edited:
i have no clue who's group i am going to end up in, but i'd much prefer the above route, the more dirt the better. i was toying with the thought of just backtracking on day 1's route simply because i wanted more dirt and the 3 sisters dont interest me that much on the KLR.

Richard,

do you mean 377 south to Rocksprings (instead of junction) ?

if you do mean junction, my map reading skills are worse than i thought. :giveup:

Richard,

do you mean 377 south to Rocksprings (instead of junction) ?

if you do mean junction, my map reading skills are worse than i thought. :giveup:

Doh!:doh:

Yes, I meant Rocksprings. I fixed the original post.

Okay, then, dirt from Mason. No problems.

First, no wimping out. I've got a great dirt road out of Mason for you. In fact it's the dirt road we will be riding and it crosses the mighty James River (which, considering the drought conditions, probably isn't all that mighty right now). So, stick with us from Mason until we reach the end of the James River Road.

From the intersection of the James River Road and Salt Branch:
Salt Branch east
Onion Creek rd south
Geistweidt Rd east
Threadgill Creek Rd east

That's about it for dirt. Almost everything east of Threadgill Creek is paved, except for the dirt roads that we rode earlier in the day getting to Mason.

Here's some great little county roads you can use from Threadgill Creek to get back to Austin. They are paved, but the pavement is bad, the roads are twisty, lots of gravel in the turns, they run through ranches so cattle & sheep will be on them, lots of animal droppings on the road, etc. In short, pretty darn fun for paved roads.

Hwy 87 south
Cherry Springs Rd east
RR2323 north
Keese Sagebiel Rd east
Keese Rd south
Welgenhausen Rd east
RR 965 south
Lower Crabapple Rd east
Eckert Rd east to Hwy 16
RR 1323 east to Hwy 281
You pick the route from here back to Austin

Last edited:
i have no clue who's group i am going to end up in, but i'd much prefer the above route, the more dirt the better. i was toying with the thought of just backtracking on day 1's route simply because i wanted more dirt and the 3 sisters dont interest me that much on the KLR.

I was going to cut off on the route home towards Marble Falls and hit some more dirt on the way. I have to head so the north side of Austin anyway. So we can probably come up with something interesting Jason.

I was going to cut off on the route home towards Marble Falls and hit some more dirt on the way. I have to head so the north side of Austin anyway. So we can probably come up with something interesting Jason.

sounds good to me Rusty!

I think we are not talking about the same road. I am referring to Old Junction Road. I traveled this route a couple of years ago, following one of your posted routes. Here is a track file of my route which I've cut down to just the section of route between Junction and Rock Springs. (Please excuse the gap west of Roosevelt. I could not get the modified track to accept intermediate points to fill the gap).

Junction to Rock Spring via Old Junction Rd.
View attachment Proposed-OldJnctnRdRt.gpx

Richard, sorry I did not read back through the recent posts far enough to see your revised proposed route for day two.
Your revised proposed route for day two is what I had in mind, as far as riding Old Junction road is concerned.
Are you sure there is time to include White Mountain/Cedar Creek?
I remember last year we slabbed-it from the end of White Mountain to Junction along Hwy's 55 and 377 arriving in Junction at sundown.
Granted, there was a flat tire in the group, but we only lost 30-45 minutes to that.
Not that I'm skeered of the dark or anything. Who doesn't like watching deer :uhoh:

Anthony,

It will be a very full day to ride Old Junction, White Mtn, Cedar Creek, Sabinal, Seco, and Ross Road in 1 day and get back to Austin before dark.

I think we would likely play it by ear. Ride Old Junction Rd, White Mtn, & Cedar Creek and then make a decision as to whether we have the time to ride the other dirt roads on the route or ride pavement all the way home.

FYI... As of 1:30 pm Saturday 8-29-09, there are 9 rooms left at the Sun Valley Motel,
which is right across the street from Isaac's restaurant and the Hills Motel.
Be sure to mention that you are with a group of motorcyclists.

well decisions decisions...new strom, stock tires, no hand guards, no skid plate, no engine guards. sounds like a recipe for disaster. maybe if i stick with Rusty on day 1 and avoid the river...

well decisions decisions...new strom, stock tires, no hand guards, no skid plate, no engine guards. sounds like a recipe for disaster. maybe if i stick with Rusty on day 1 and avoid the river...

633951822_Qi45A-M.jpg

Holy cow. I just found out about this and need a hill country ride. My KLR has been down for months and I just finished breaking in the engine rebuild. It has been reliable as my daily ride since the tranny just dropped outta my truck...

And although I just sprained or broke my wrist this week (not a KLR650 incodent,) I'm starting to get used to the clutch lever relocation to the right side under the brake. After I see a doc this week, I'll decide if I wanna buck rubber and mount the Kenda knobbies. I'm pretty sure I'll be riding the current deathwing front, 80/20 rear.

Having said that, I plan to bail early and ride back to north Austin with a group hitting dirt.

Mech

Okay, then, dirt from Mason. No problems.
Thanks Richard!! I was just sitting down to do the route when I read this.

This is very similar to the route I took back from Junction in the spring.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=594985&postcount=97

Depending on the time, I may hit Althaus Davis Rd (310) then
east on 3347 to 962 southwest to 281 then take
Cypress Mill Road (301) to 962 southwest again to
Hamilton Pool Rd and home to Austin.

For anyone going with me. I do it old school. I don't have a GPS, so I read my map and feel my way home. Just part of the adventure. :rider:

Looks like I got a kitchen pass after all! So I will plan to make this trip. I have a room at the Sun Valley hotel in Junction. But will be looking for a place to stay in Austin.

Ok, where is a good place to stay in Austin.???

Eagle, I see you are at the Hill Country. I did a Google on that and came up about 14. Can you send me phone number and and address???

Do you have GPS tracks of the revised day rides?? I downloaded the original posted ones. But I see they changed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back