• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2nd trip to the Hill Country or "Its Raining Again!

Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Stevens
My wife and I realized that it has been almost a year since we had taken off work, went out of town, and actually spent the night somewhere other than someones home! So, making last minute plans, we both took last Friday off, dusted off the bikes, and went to the Texas Hill Country. The last time we went was on the fourth of July about eight years ago. That trip was spent in rain suits as we had torrential rain the whole trip. It rained so hard that highway 16 between Kerrville and Medina was closed due to high water! We didn't get to ride the "Three Sisters". Or is it "Twisted Sisters"? I am not sure. Anyway, we were hoping that this weekend would be better. We headed out Friday morning from Burleson, worked our way over to highway 16 going through Glen Rose, Hico, Hamelton, and then Goldthwaite. We stopped at the little joint that I believe is called "Knot in the Loop Saloon". It was located just off highway 16 near Willow Loop Road. The burgers there were very good. It was a nice place to stop and seemed popular with other bikers. Oh, by the way, I was riding a relatively new Yamaha FZ6 and my wife was riding her 2002 Honda Magna. We ended up spending the night at Kerrville. We had planned to ride 335, 336, and 337 on Saturday. Unfortunately, even though the weather forecast was good, it seems the clouds didn't listen to the weather man. Saturday morning was wet. It switched from a light rain to a heavy mist and back again until about one in the afternoon. We road on hwy 337 with wet roads. Riding the twistiest sections it seemed as if we were in the clouds. The mist was so heavy we were lucky to see more than thirty yards. We stopped in Leakey and had lunch. By the time we were through eating the bad weather was breaking. We then had a great time riding hwy 335 and 336 on dry roads, but were too tired to try 337 again. We need to start riding a lot more to get conditioned! Saturday night we stayed at The Legends Inn in Junction. The motel was nice for a no frills place. It is obviously popular with bikers. After a good nights sleep, we got on 377 and rode it all the way home.
Over all the trip was great! This is the first time riding my FZ6 any distance. Total trip was 740 miles. The FZ6 can easily go on long distance trips, but I learned that I need to add a 2x4 to my seat to add comfort!!! And, I need some sort of throttle lock or lever to let my right hand rest and get blood back into it. My wife suggested that I buy some of those bicycle underwear (the kind that has little gel pads for each cheek) to solve my sore bottom problem. That might not be a bad idea. Wearing them under my jeans might make me look like I actually have a butt!!!
Both coming and going the gale force winds tossed my light bike around a bit, but wind has never really bothered me. My wife says that a strong cross wind makes a boring highway ride into something more interesting. Luckily, strong wind doesn't bother her either! We decide to use this trip as the starting ride of many more to come. We have missed spending time on the road on two wheels and plan on doing a lot more trips. At least when I get feeling back in my butt!:rider:

Here are a few pictures of our trip---

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 130
A few more pictures of the trip--

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 111
And one last picture. Oh, btw we were stopped by a train. I guess it looks like I stopped the traffic to take the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 129
Saw you folks a couple of times over the weekend.

We rode otu of Houston on Saturday moring and got a few sprinkles of rain and that was about it but a lot of wet roads. We too spotted for lunch in Leakey and by the time we had finished it was a real nice afternoon the ride the sisters.

We had a great weekend but could not help feeling we spent the whole weekend ride just behind the rain on wet roads. Well better that than riding in the rain.

The Legend's Inn is the bomb. For those prices you expect it to be trashy and have roaches. What an awesome surprise!

My annual pilgrimage will be in October.

The Legend's Inn is the bomb. For those prices you expect it to be trashy and have roaches. What an awesome surprise!

My annual pilgrimage will be in October.

Yes it was a neat and clean motel. Seemed to be in a safe area and the owner was very friendly. It is a good place to stay if your in the area.

Sounds like fun, the 3 Sisters is on my list for this fall.

As far as the sore bottom, it sounds like you suffer from the same ailment I do. It's called diminished glutes syndrome (DGS). It's very common in middle aged white men. Unfortunately the gel pads are the only cure. :) I have foudnd that softening your suspension will help some. I have a tendency to set my up like it's a track day and that is kind of unneccesary on a road trip as a little softness can help. Give it a shot next time.

The restaurant across from the inn is a good find too.

On our bikes, we had Spencer (www.greatdaytoride.com) put gel in our seats. It only cost me $75 each. I added a ThrottleMeister, and I have all day comfort!

Gonna hitch the trailer to the wing (gotta take my guitar) and put momma in the stratolounger and hit the Hill Country. Sure hope we don't hit too much rain.:giveup:

Got us a cabin near Utopia. Anybody out this weekend see a dirty ole black wing with a fat ole longhair at the controls, it will prolly be me. :wave:

:rider:

Back